Counting calories..Or not

Options
I know..I know, counting calories is the most accurate way. But is it the only way?
I wing it.
Who else is with me?

Replies

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Sure, people can lose weight without counting calories.
    My dh lost 30+ lbs and has maintained without counting calories.
    I have trouble doing that.
  • LenGray
    LenGray Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    It's time consuming but worth it, in my opinion. I like that my calorie goal is both measurable and flexible, two attributes which make it much more likely that I'll stick with it. And while there's some days when I add my meals up in my head and guesstimate, I don't feel that's realistic for me or my goals in the same way that weighing and logging each day is. Also, with my family's history of diabetes and heart problems, I don't feel like my weight is really something that I should be taking a chance on *shrug*

Different stuff works for different people.
  • officials
    officials Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I've been in the mindset of seeing calorie counting as restriction and such in the past but now I count everything accurately and have gotten used to making it a habit. I have a goal that I want to reach, so I realized that there would be no point in half-heartedly following the journey.
    I formed my mindset into making calorie-counting and logging my food as a priority, something just as important as brushing my teeth or getting dressed. It just gets easier once you accept it.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    The odd time I will log, but for the most part, I don't. I counted calories regularly a few years ago while I was bulking because I am the worst underestimator.

But now that I am calorie aware, I pretty much wing it.

Right now I am bulking and winging it.. I don't think there are a lot of people that do it this way... however, it has been working for me. Have I been gaining as fast as I would like? Not really.. I had a few bad months where I wasn't gaining, and if I was tracking I probably wouldn't have that issue. BUT.. overall, I will take a few slow months because I absolutely HATE tracking.

Point is, if you are getting the results you want, keep doing what you are doing. For some it can be slower, but if you don't mind that, then do what you want.
  • rzmzzmfp
    rzmzzmfp Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You could use your hands to measure your food portions. I saw pin on pinterest that showed how to do it correctly. Counting constantly calories is tiring
  • kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    It's not only way.
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say it is the ONLY way, but for a lot of people (especially those with histories of over-indulging) it is certainly the most effective way.

I would love to get to a place where I can eat intuitively but I have A LOT to learn and many habits to form before I can get there.
  • gillidovew
    gillidovew Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I ve done slimming world to death and am actually enjoying counting calories for a change and finding it much more flexible as I really can eat anything. I thought I d find weighing everything a nuisance but so far its fine. There are moments when I think, why am I weighing garlic etc, but I need the accountability. I ve also bought a book on amazon called carbs and cals and this shows pictures of food on a plate with its calorie value. So on the days I forget to weigh first, or don’t have as much time I can put in a guesstimate. Or if I don’t know what a tbsp of peanut butter weighs and tbsp is not listed as an option. One tip I did get from slimming world was that its better to acknowledge you ve eaten something and account something for it, than ignore that you ve had it.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    If I have a goal, I want to know that I'm doing anything and everything possible to achieve it. In terms of physique goals, that means being as accurate as possible about what I put in my mouth....The results you get equal the effort you put in.

"Winging it" IS effort lol.
    I didn't say eat anything I want. I meant estimate without counting and measuring.

But I agree. If you want to be accurate, counting and measuring is the best way.