Counting calories..Or not

Options

Replies

• chrislee1628
    chrislee1628 Posts: 305 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Before apps like MFP and devices like fitbits, people used what is called common sense to lose weight, these just aid/help you to lose weight

When I was in hospital, they never used either to help me lose some weight

Things to remember is to eat slowly to allow your stomach to tell your brain that it is full, if you scoff your face in like I used to do, by the time your stomach tells your brain it is full, you have already eaten too much

You already know what is healthy and what isn't, you know that it is unhealthy to only eat for example chocolates and drink soda all day, for years we have been told to eat more fibre, veggies etc

Not to mention portion control, small portions but more of is better than large portion but less of

MFP and Fitbit's at least for me just make it more interesting and fun as you meet people as it were and make friends, share logs of what you eat etc
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    If you don't want to count calories, don't. Plenty of people, a few who've posted in this thread, don't and have lost and are maintaining just fine.

I'm one of those who have to count and weigh and measure my food (yes, for the rest of my life! #horror) if I don't want to be morbidly obese again. Winging it only worked for me for a few months because I was so obese that being off by 200-500 calories was not a big deal. The more weight I lost, the more weighing, measuring, and counting became a big deal.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    It's not true that it's time consuming, though, and I hate it when people try to make it sound like this big horrible burden or something people would only do if they were overly neurotic.

But sure, whatever.

It IS true that it's time consuming( for me). Unless you eat everything out of a box. I cook most of my meals from scratch. It's easy to scan a box, not so easy to count and measure everything you are putting in your meal for a family.

This is news to me.

And I cook separate meals for omnivores and vegetarians in my family quite frequently, all from scratch. Have never scanned a single product. The only convenience products I use are things like tinned tomatoes and pasta.

Looking up and cross checking the data base for fresh ingredients doesn't take a great amount of time. Neither does weighing out a whole recipe and using a calculator to get a portion of it.

But again, whatever.

ETA: My biggest issue here is your assertion that this can't be done quickly unless you're using boxed products. It's fine if it doesn't work for you or doesn't fit into your timetable and you can manage your calories without using a scale. Lots of people do. I, like lemurcat, just have an issue with the whole "it takes too much time" argument. I'd much rather hear an "it doesn't suit my personality/preferences" position. I think that's more getting to the root of things, tbh.

I said "time consuming for me". That means I don't think the difference in results is worth the time spent.. Again, to me.

I think, unless you are new at it or have a very challenging goal, counting calories is not necessary.

I'll agree with cmriverside since I see that you're 35.

I'll be 55 this year and I'm short and trying to lose the last 10 pounds.

Get back to me in 20 years. Especially if you're short.

Once again, I'm having trouble with the sweeping nature of the statements you're making.

It might not be necessary for you, but what is the point you're trying to make here? If you don't want to count calories, don't. However, those of use who count calories aren't exactly hearing anything persuasive from you just sitting there asserting that "it's not necessary" other than you just wanting to... what? Seek validation? You've gotten that.

Different strokes for different folks. If it's working for you, that's great. This isn't a one size fits all thing. You don't need everyone to take the same approach or for your way to be the only way for it to work for you, you know?

Why so angry?
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Counting calories isn't the only way to lose weight but it certainly educates us to the foods that are calorie dense. People gain weight because they simply don't realise how much they are eating. Counting calories really does make us aware of what and how much we are eating.
    I no longer count calories as such but that's only because I've been able to maintain my weight loss for 4 years and I still eat the same way I did when losing, I just get more calories. I still think in terms of food = calories, I don't think that's a bad thing though.
  • Kay_180
    Kay_180 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    You're on a calorie counting website...

I'm with cmriverside - why would you bother using this app then?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Maybe for the forums to get advice on fitness???
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options

IMO...there are a few reasons why people might use this site even if they are not counting calories. Actually...there are many here that no longer count calories.

Right now I am counting but...

The recipe builder even with its many flaws is what keeps me here on MFP. I like to try new recipes and using the recipe builder gives me the info that I want about the nutritional value. I also like to modify existing recipes that I use. I lets me know if the modifications that I make is worth the changes fit in to my goals.

Another reason the use MFP while not counting...

The food data base (despite its discrepancies is probably the most extensive on the net.

Then lastly...when I came here I knew little about the details of an exercise program. There are some very knowledgable fitness experts here. I was able to read and then go research the info. Same would apply to different types of "diets"...the info here gave me a basis of finding what WOE was best suited for me.

Then I guess that one might use this site for the social aspect...people like to communicate with like minded people.

IDK...makes sense to me why some people might use this site that don't actually count their calories.
  • Ironandwine69
    Options
    Counting calories isn't the only way to lose weight but it certainly educates us to the foods that are calorie dense. People gain weight because they simply don't realise how much they are eating. Counting calories really does make us aware of what and how much we are eating.
    I no longer count calories as such but that's only because I've been able to maintain my weight loss for 4 years and I still eat the same way I did when losing, I just get more calories. I still think in terms of food = calories, I don't think that's a bad thing though.

Absolutely it's NOT a bad thing. I used to do it years ago. However I think the point is for us to learn what works and what doesn't, so we can live a healthy lifestyle without having to depend on an app or website.

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    @Ironandwine69 absolutely, for everyone its different but we have to find what works for us consistently and helps us be able to maintain our loss.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    People underestimate food intake by up to 50% and overestimate exercise by 50%.

Some can do it but the general population is awful which is likely a contributing factor to the level of obesity.
  • Flaming25
    Flaming25 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Yes and No,

I use MFP mainly to be accountable for what I consume. The extensive DB of foods and recipes make tracking a lot easier for me which is my main use of MFP, tracking! I used to be a compulsive snacker and whilst I was not tracking I conveniently would forget about that handful of biscuits or scoop of raisins. This is not necessarily for calories but for fitness, nutrients (monitoring lack of nutrients and from there I change up my diet if I go 1-2 weeks without a certain type of food) and I'm now starting to learn about macro's too.

So although the majority of people use this tool for calorie counting I don't use it solely or mainly for that purpose.

So far this is the only thing that is helping me lose the weight, nice and slowly and whilst also educating myself. This is how I use the tool, might not be everyone's reason.

Good luck
  • Wolfger
    Wolfger Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    My favorite meal at Burger King is 1380 calories. One meal. For some people, that's their entire day. At my size and weight, that leaves me 630 calories. So... I can have a 315 calorie breakfast and a 315 calorie lunch? Fat chance! This is why we don't wing things. No way does anybody look at a burger and fries and think "that's all my food for the entire day".
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I actually find it harder to wing it than to count calories. Logging calories is not time consuming to me because I have a very large data base of food in my account (I've been doing this for a long time). It takes about 5 minutes a day for me to log and I tend to prelog my entire day in the morning then adjust if I have to.

"Winging" it worked for me as well (again, because I've been doing this so long I can look at something and know the portion size), but I found winging it harder than logging it. I had to be super, super diligent while winging it.

I prefer to log even though I really don't have to anymore.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Maybe for the forums to get advice on fitness???

True. Also, it's called My Fitness Pal, not My Calorie Counting Pal...
  • Ironandwine69
    Options
    Wolfger wrote: »
    My favorite meal at Burger King is 1380 calories. One meal. For some people, that's their entire day. At my size and weight, that leaves me 630 calories. So... I can have a 315 calorie breakfast and a 315 calorie lunch? Fat chance! This is why we don't wing things. No way does anybody look at a burger and fries and think "that's all my food for the entire day".

A couple of things:

Yes, there are people that will eat all their calories in one big meal and maybe a snack. I have one big meal( dinner) and a tiny lunch. No breakfast, no snacks.

It doesn't take much to know that eating at Burger King is not the best option out there.

I don't think this daily calories need to be an exact science every single day. What do you if you're not hungry, eat more to make the calories for the day?..That doesn't make sense.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    You could prolly skip counting....by cutting out certain things.
    I know for me, when it is time to cut for summer...just cutting out ice cream, brownies, cookies, etc....will allow me to drop weight to being somewhat "beach" ready.
    If I wanna get even more lean, then I have to track/log/count my calories.
  • Ironandwine69
    Options
    MityMax96 wrote: »
    I know for me, when it is time to cut for summer...just cutting out ice cream, brownies, cookies, etc....will allow me to drop weight to being somewhat "beach" ready.

That's what I do. Just cut extras that I don't need for cutting. During bulking I only add a couple of protein shakes a day, which I don't drink otherwise. Now am I getting the best results? I doubt it. But it has worked for years, so to me it's worth not having that controlling relationship with my food:-)
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options

That's what I do. Just cut extras that I don't need for cutting. During bulking I only add a couple of protein shakes a day, which I don't drink otherwise. Now am I getting the best results? I doubt it. But it has worked for years, so to me it's worth not having that controlling relationship with my food:-)

If you see the results you want, with what works for you, then why change?
    Everyone is different....
    There is no one size fits all thing when it comes to how we lose or gain weight....other than you either need a calorie deficit or surplus to achieve one or the other.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

being accurate with ones intake does not make one have a controlling relationship with food...