Counting calories..Or not

Options

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Wolfger wrote: »
    My favorite meal at Burger King is 1380 calories. One meal. For some people, that's their entire day. At my size and weight, that leaves me 630 calories. So... I can have a 315 calorie breakfast and a 315 calorie lunch? Fat chance! This is why we don't wing things. No way does anybody look at a burger and fries and think "that's all my food for the entire day".

There are many days when I have had a 200-300 calorie breakfast and lunch because I want a larger dinner. It's not for everyone, but it's a perfectly reasonable strategy for others.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Counting calories isn't the only way to lose weight but it certainly educates us to the foods that are calorie dense. People gain weight because they simply don't realise how much they are eating. Counting calories really does make us aware of what and how much we are eating.
    I no longer count calories as such but that's only because I've been able to maintain my weight loss for 4 years and I still eat the same way I did when losing, I just get more calories. I still think in terms of food = calories, I don't think that's a bad thing though.

Absolutely it's NOT a bad thing. I used to do it years ago. However I think the point is for us to learn what works and what doesn't, so we can live a healthy lifestyle without having to depend on an app or website.

Once again, you're making sweeping statements here, so I'm going to question what point you're making. Do you think that in general everyone should move past calorie counting by saying what you've said here, or is what you're saying just meant to apply to you?

Because there's a whole lot wrong with the first premise, and nothing wrong with the second.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    MityMax96 wrote: »
    You could prolly skip counting....by cutting out certain things.
    I know for me, when it is time to cut for summer...just cutting out ice cream, brownies, cookies, etc....will allow me to drop weight to being somewhat "beach" ready.
    If I wanna get even more lean, then I have to track/log/count my calories.

That's what I do. Just cut extras that I don't need for cutting. During bulking I only add a couple of protein shakes a day, which I don't drink otherwise. Now am I getting the best results? I doubt it. But it has worked for years, so to me it's worth not having that controlling relationship with my food:-)

being accurate with ones intake does not make one have a controlling relationship with food...

QFT

• nevadavis1
    nevadavis1 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    My husband just stopped eating snacks in the evening and lost a ton of weight. That didn't work for me.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Counting calories isn't the only way to lose weight but it certainly educates us to the foods that are calorie dense. People gain weight because they simply don't realise how much they are eating. Counting calories really does make us aware of what and how much we are eating.
    I no longer count calories as such but that's only because I've been able to maintain my weight loss for 4 years and I still eat the same way I did when losing, I just get more calories. I still think in terms of food = calories, I don't think that's a bad thing though.

Absolutely it's NOT a bad thing. I used to do it years ago. However I think the point is for us to learn what works and what doesn't, so we can live a healthy lifestyle without having to depend on an app or website.

ooooohhhhh. I get it now. You're codependent!

Well, good luck "fixing" this group of Chatty Cathys. :lol:

Carry on.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

then why do you keep coming here?
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    nevadavis1 wrote: »
    My husband just stopped eating snacks in the evening and lost a ton of weight. That didn't work for me.

That's great for him. Hormones play a big role in it sometimes.
  • Ironandwine69
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    Some people have to count. Others do not. If you don't, be thankful, not preachy...

My original post was meant to hear from people that don't count either and share ideas.
  • megzchica23
    megzchica23 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    There was a time I could do that. I didn't even eat that much to begin with. So if I wanted to lose weight I just had to cut out the extra stuff like soda and candy. I walked all day for work and cleaned and did yard work. So I didn't have to try. Now I'm older, have heath issues, and eat a lot more food, and have a desk job. So I have to count to make sure I'm not over doing it.
  • rsipock
    rsipock Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Before attending these boards I had been with Precision Nutrition. Over there we never count calories. In fact, they don't believe counting is a "leverage point"--meaning that it is not worth the time-investment. So I've never weighed anything in my life. If you cared, you could look at my food blog and you would see that my feedings are super clean, super boring, and my goals are met predictably. So counting isn't the only way.
  • Ironandwine69
    Options
    There was a time I could do that. I didn't even eat that much to begin with. So if I wanted to lose weight I just had to cut out the extra stuff like soda and candy. I walked all day for work and cleaned and did yard work. So I didn't have to try. Now I'm older, have heath issues, and eat a lot more food, and have a desk job. So I have to count to make sure I'm not over doing it.

I hear you. In my 20s I could eat anything I want. Now I have to really watch what goes in my mouth. I can imagine health issues make I harder too.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

What works will be different for everyone. Just because you naturally can lose, maintain or gain doesn't mean everyone will have that skillset at any point in their. And for 5 minutes a day it makes sense for them to just log their food and know exactly where they are.

Personally, while I am still losing and creeping close to my goal, I WANT to track my calories to optimise results and lessen the amount of time it takes me to get there.

Will I need to do it forever? I don't know. I spent years maintaining my weight naturally, albeit overweight. I hope to manage to do that when I get to goal now that I have learned exactly what a reasonable diet looks like for me. But I can't be sure that's the case. So in that scenario will I log for a time or at least regularly? Sure. It takes all of about 5 minutes out of my day max. It seems a small thing to add to my daily routine to ensure I achieve my goals and maintain the lifestyle and health benefits that come from being a healthy weight.

And whilst losing I have taken diet breaks. Some I have logged, some I have not. With the exception of one period where I actively knew I was gaining I have maintained my weight during those periods. Yay for me. Doesn't apply to everyone.

Just because you find it weird or overly controlling doesn't mean that's the same for everyone.

I don't understand why you seem to be so disdainful of people doing what they need to do to be where they want to be and happily so.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    It's not true that it's time consuming, though, and I hate it when people try to make it sound like this big horrible burden or something people would only do if they were overly neurotic.

But sure, whatever.

It IS true that it's time consuming( for me). Unless you eat everything out of a box. I cook most of my meals from scratch. It's easy to scan a box, not so easy to count and measure everything you are putting in your meal for a family.

I cook everything from scratch and it is not time consuming for me at all. I have to put food needing to be cooked into some kind of pan or bowl so why not put it into a pan or bowl sitting on a scale? Food not needing to be cooked can be plated while the plate is on the scale.

Dump, note weight, hit tare, dump next ingredient. Rinse and repeat.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I've already commented on this, but I'll elaborate a bit more. I haven't counted calories in a number of years and can maintain or lose weight as needed...but I did count during my initial weight loss (at least a portion of it) because I was basically lost from a nutritional standpoint and had zero clue what I needed, or what an appropriate portion of X, Y, or Z looked like.

I never had any weight issues growing up...I was a track and field sprinter from 2nd grade through my senior year in highschool and played a myriad of sports besides that and actually always had issues holding onto weight.

When I graduated I went into the military and PTd daily along with having a very active job and never had to worry about how much I was eating or what I was eating.

When I was discharged I went back to school...I was in my 20s and didn't own a car for most of my college time so I biked and walked most places unless I happened to get a ride...I also did landscape construction in the summer and waited tables and/or worked retail during the school year. I spent free time playing Ultimate Frisbee with my buddies or hiking in the mountains and enjoyed hitting the gym a couple days per week. I never had to give even a second thought about calories or what I was eating or how much...I just did whatever and it all evened out.

I graduated at 30 and took a desk job at an accounting firm working 12 hour days during the week and usually at least 4-6 on the weekend along with about 25 weeks per year of business travel. I bought a car to commute and no longer had the luxury of lots of free time for hiking, playing with my friends, etc and made little effort to get to the gym. I also made zero changes to my diet...the result was pretty rapid weight gain in my thirties.

I chalked a lot of it up to being in my 30s and just getting older...I really didn't make any efforts one way or the other in regards to my weight, nutrition, health, and fitness. I started counting calories really in an effort to start making better nutritional choices given that at 38 I had some really bad blood work come in...I also started exercising again. Counting was a pretty big eye opener for me...my diet wasn't actually horrible from a nutritional standpoint but certainly could be better...but I was eating a crap ton of calories for my activity level (or lack thereof).

Counting basically taught me what I needed and what things should look like on my plate, etc. I never viewed it as a long term proposition...I always viewed it as a tool and basically a crutch until I could get about on my own. It was a pretty invaluable experience for me, but yeah...nothing I set out to do for all of eternity.
  • megzchica23
    megzchica23 Posts: 419 Member
    Options

I hear you. In my 20s I could eat anything I want. Now I have to really watch what goes in my mouth. I can imagine health issues make I harder too.

Yes. I have stomach issues and high blood pressure. So I swell and bloat a lot which makes it hard to even get accurate weight. The doctor is also checking my thyroid to see if that my be contributing to some of my problems. So that will be interesting to find out. I don't want it to be but at this point I just want an answer and a solution so I can go back to being the me I use to be.
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    It's not true that it's time consuming, though, and I hate it when people try to make it sound like this big horrible burden or something people would only do if they were overly neurotic.

But sure, whatever.

It IS true that it's time consuming( for me). Unless you eat everything out of a box. I cook most of my meals from scratch. It's easy to scan a box, not so easy to count and measure everything you are putting in your meal for a family.

I cook everything from scratch and it is not time consuming for me at all. I have to put food needing to be cooked into some kind of pan or bowl so why not put it into a pan or bowl sitting on a scale? Food not needing to be cooked can be plated while the plate is on the scale.

Dump, note weight, hit tare, dump next ingredient. Rinse and repeat.

Until when? The end of time? Who wants to be a slave to the scale. Measuring or weighing should be a temporary learning tool to understand calories in food. After that, one should know enough about various foods and quantities that eyeballing should be sufficient for the long term.
  • Ironandwine69
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I've already commented on this, but I'll elaborate a bit more. I haven't counted calories in a number of years and can maintain or lose weight as needed...but I did count during my initial weight loss (at least a portion of it) because I was basically lost from a nutritional standpoint and had zero clue what I needed, or what an appropriate portion of X, Y, or Z looked like.

I never had any weight issues growing up...I was a track and field sprinter from 2nd grade through my senior year in highschool and played a myriad of sports besides that and actually always had issues holding onto weight.

When I graduated I went into the military and PTd daily along with having a very active job and never had to worry about how much I was eating or what I was eating.

When I was discharged I went back to school...I was in my 20s and didn't own a car for most of my college time so I biked and walked most places unless I happened to get a ride...I also did landscape construction in the summer and waited tables and/or worked retail during the school year. I spent free time playing Ultimate Frisbee with my buddies or hiking in the mountains and enjoyed hitting the gym a couple days per week. I never had to give even a second thought about calories or what I was eating or how much...I just did whatever and it all evened out.

I graduated at 30 and took a desk job at an accounting firm working 12 hour days during the week and usually at least 4-6 on the weekend along with about 25 weeks per year of business travel. I bought a car to commute and no longer had the luxury of lots of free time for hiking, playing with my friends, etc and made little effort to get to the gym. I also made zero changes to my diet...the result was pretty rapid weight gain in my thirties.

I chalked a lot of it up to being in my 30s and just getting older...I really didn't make any efforts one way or the other in regards to my weight, nutrition, health, and fitness. I started counting calories really in an effort to start making better nutritional choices given that at 38 I had some really bad blood work come in...I also started exercising again. Counting was a pretty big eye opener for me...my diet wasn't actually horrible from a nutritional standpoint but certainly could be better...but I was eating a crap ton of calories for my activity level (or lack thereof).

Counting basically taught me what I needed and what things should look like on my plate, etc. I never viewed it as a long term proposition...I always viewed it as a tool and basically a crutch until I could get about on my own. It was a pretty invaluable experience for me, but yeah...nothing I set out to do for all of eternity.

I agree 100%.
    I actually counted for a while too. This was 5 years ago, and actually on this site too( Back then the phone app sucked). It taught me a lot about what works for me and what doesn't. Then I started feeling as I was taking away from enjoying the food( Italian and Greek blood here, we LOVE food). So I stopped counting. Just applied what I learned from when I was counting.
    Will I ever count again? Yes, maybe. Not saying it's a bad tool at all. I actually just wanted to talk to other who manage it without counting, this was not an attemp to say counting is bad. Counting the works. Just not for me right now.