Prenuptial agreement? What do you think?

Options
13»

Replies

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    We didn't, but everything we've accomplished was done together. If my husband were to pass away and I remarried before our children were independent, I would get a prenup to protect the wealth their father worked to provide for them.

Excellent point. I didn't have one because we were both basically starting out and building a life together. Established, older people might want one. I think I just wouldn't bother getting married again if I thought I needed protection, though.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Morgaen73 wrote: »
    Why even get married if you are going to "need" a prenup? Just stay single and keep all of your $.

The problem is that in South Africa, if you have been in a relationship and living together for a certain period the courts treat it as if you were married and then community of property applies. This means you are going to lose half your stuff anyway lol
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    I got married 17 years ago. We had no money or significant assets. No prenup. I still don't think it is necessary for us.
    I don't know how I'd feel if I had a lot of money/assets going into a marriage.

When my sister got married she was asked to sign a prenup and did. It was more to put her in her place than anything. It was definitely not to end things amicably should they divorce.

This is in the case of your sister and is certainly not universal. In our case it was my wife that demanded a pre-nup and at the time she was the one that had the lower income.

I never said my sister was a universal case. My sister's husband is a special sort of mean and emotionally abusive person. I don't believe everyone who wants a prenup has his motivation. There are probably some other people who are like him on this planet though.
    All of these anecdotes about prenups, marriage, divorce mentioned in this thread are not universal cases including your case. Is anyone saying they are?
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    Prenup - YES. I do not like sharing as it is. Lol. >:)>:)
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    My rationale mind says yes if one has significant assets going into a marriage.
    My heart says no :blush:
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Most definitely - more so if its your second, third etc marriage.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    i think it protects both parties, they dont always skew one way, clauses can be added. I personally think the idea of marriage is ridiculous but to each his own. I happen to be married but only so I could get on his insurance a million years ago otherwise I never really saw the point and have never worn a wedding ring.