ACV - Any results ?

Options

Replies

• AliceNotInChains
    AliceNotInChains Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I just can't fathom the logic or lack of critical thinking that makes people think vinegar is somehow magical. I mean, basic knowledge of how digestion works would generally clue people in. But people don't want to put in the work or believe their weight management is out of their control/don't want to admit that it is solely their responsibility.

And obesity and treatments aren't sexy? Then why are there huge campaigns and multiple dramatic headlines almost every day about diet this, investment that, government initiatives in many countries? Come on now, again let's display a little critical, logical thinking here.

Vinegar isn't sexy. Have you ever tried to get published? Have you ever written a grant proposal? But there is some research, just not a lot. A study in Japan, published in Bioscience, Biotechnology, and Biochemistry (http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.1271/bbb.90231), and someone is trying to replicate in America.
  • AutumnDancer26
    AutumnDancer26 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    While it does nothing for actual fat loss, ACV works wonders for bloating and digestion! Mix with some water and a little honey if the taste is too much, but I'd definitely recommend it!
  • AliceNotInChains
    AliceNotInChains Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Look, I don't use ACV for weight loss. The marginal benefit does not outweigh the marginal cost, imo. But I don't feel comfortable putting a period where science still has a questionmark.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Goober1142 wrote: »
    I think it is a diuretic, helps with water weight. I've been using it for years. If you can stomach it give it a try. I drink a big glass of water, then a shot of Bragg's through a short straw and another large water. Helps me with arthritis pain.

I've got two forms of arthritis and a lot of pain from it, but that's one bridge I'm not willing to cross. I loathe even the smell of vinegar.
  • AgidGirl
    AgidGirl Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I drink ACV daily for the health benefits and because it helps with my acid reflux. It will not effect your weight loss in any way, I don't feel more full after drinking it nor does it burn extra calories.
  • kclaar11
    kclaar11 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    The argument is that acv leads to weight loss. You have introduced a reason why it may not be the product itself, but the psychological processes behind it. My point is that just because something doesn't have a physiological affect on weightloss, doesn't mean it doesn't have an effect. It may be a psychological one. If the product is something as cheap and harmless as apple cider vinegar, then the process variables don't matter, imo. If someone sticks to their health plan because they aren't going to drink a couple of tablespoons of apple cider vinegar for nothing, then more power to them. How is that any different than any other means of motivation to achieve their results?

I would also question the "harmless" part of the claim. If someone is desperate and/or uninformed, they may not dilute which can cause damage to the teeth or esophagus. I can't say I have personal experience though as I have never had the desire to try it.
  • AgidGirl
    AgidGirl Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Here's my favorite recipe for ACV...

2 Celestial Seasonings Cinnamon Apple Spice tea bags brewed over boiling water in a large 3 cup mason jar, once the water has cooled remove the tea bags, add 2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger, 2 tablespoons of ACV (with the 'mother'). Pour half over a large amount ice add Stevia to taste and enjoy throughout the day. Please note, I DO NOT think this aids with weight loss in anyway however, both ACV and ginger have health benefits which is why I drink them (well that and I LOVE the taste of this drink).

Google, trim healthy mama good girl moonshine...there are many variations!!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    most of these people parrot what they think is true.. they haven't tried it..

I took ACV for months for something else. Did nothing for weight loss.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    I have used it to successfully get rid of warts (one on finger and other on big toe) - few years ago. I was skeptical when someone told me it would work, but after all OTC treatments didn't work, I figured why not try (especially since the next step would be to have them professionally removed). To my surprise, it actually worked. Took a few days of treatment, but after day 4 the finger wart "peeled" off and the toe took about 7 days. Neither have come back.

Yes, I have also used ACV topically to get rid of skin barnacles/seborrheic keratosis. https://www.earthclinic.com/apple-cider-vinegar-for-seborrheic-keratosis.html
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

I don't need to try everything to find out if it is true or not. No reason to keep reinventing the wheel. I prefer to go by the experiences of others who have been eating ACV for hundreds of years, if not millenia. I also actually read the studies and they show that any potential benefits are from acetic acid so it doesn't matter what type of vinegar you use.

Nothing magical happens when you ferment apple juice (unless you stop it mid-fermentation, Cidre is awesome!)
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

I don't need to try everything to find out if it is true or not. No reason to keep reinventing the wheel. I prefer to go by the experiences of others who have been eating ACV for hundreds of years, if not millenia. I also actually read the studies and they show that any potential benefits are from acetic acid so it doesn't matter what type of vinegar you use.

Nothing magical happens when you ferment apple juice (unless you stop it mid-fermentation, Cidre is awesome!)

^^^ Cosign on the awesomeness of cider as a refreshing pub beverage.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

^^^ Cosign on the awesomeness of cider as a refreshing pub beverage.

Darn, now I'm disappointed! I thought "cidre" was some cool new drink I hadn't heard about.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

I use it because I get really tight calves and cramping, and it helps with that...I've been maintaining my weight for about 4 years. It hasn't magically made me lose more weight.

You can also simply research this and look at actual studies...the only thing legitimate studies have shown is that it does help with managing blood glucose to some extent...so does a glass of wine.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Evamutt wrote: »
    the benefits at my house are it neutralizes stomach acids. really helps with refux & similar ailments

Acid can't neutralize acid. Use an Antacid,baking soda or something with calcium like milk.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    The argument is that acv leads to weight loss. You have introduced a reason why it may not be the product itself, but the psychological processes behind it. My point is that just because something doesn't have a physiological affect on weightloss, doesn't mean it doesn't have an effect. It may be a psychological one. If the product is something as cheap and harmless as apple cider vinegar, then the process variables don't matter, imo. If someone sticks to their health plan because they aren't going to drink a couple of tablespoons of apple cider vinegar for nothing, then more power to them. How is that any different than any other means of motivation to achieve their results?

But why give credit to a product that has no impact, rather than the thing that does, a calorie deficit that the Individual created?

Calorie deficits may be too abstract for some people. In order to lose weight, some people need to feel invested in their journey, and taking something may help them feel that way in a way that just cognitively knowing that they have achieved a calorie deficit does not.

Another thing that we have not discussed- an absence of peer reviewed evidence does not mean that something does not have an effect. In fact, I'd argue that unless there is peer reviewed evidence against it, and there is anecdotal evidence dating back to the 16th century, then we can't rule it out as having a positive effect.

Why suggest a placebo that has very real negative effects, such as tooth damage?