Help dairy..

Options
I've looked and looked over several things. Finding mixed opinions. Can you eat dairy products? I know in moderation if yes, but is it better to just cut them out completely? Or can I still have a little here and there?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    cole949 wrote: »
    I've looked and looked over several things. Finding mixed opinions. Can you eat dairy products? I know in moderation if yes, but is it better to just cut them out completely? Or can I still have a little here and there?

I can... they're delicious and help me hit my calorie and macro goals!
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    cole949 wrote: »

I can... they're delicious and help me hit my calorie and macro goals!

This ^^

I've eaten 225g of yoghurt today and 200g of cottage cheese, plus milk and butter.
  • TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I adore dairy and will never cut it out. I do eat it in more moderation than I used to though but that has more to do with fat and calories.
  • Leenizi129
    Leenizi129 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Personally for me dairy is out! It is pretty bad for you. I enjoy almond or coconut milk. Do the 7 day challenge give it up for 7 days then eat it again and tell me how you feel.
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    I can and I will. Because cheese is amazing.

Seriously though, no reason to cut it out unless you have a medical issue or you WANT to. Dairy is a good source of protein and fat though, so I wouldn't cut it out unless I had to. Plus, I love it.
  • 3rdof7sisters
    3rdof7sisters Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Why not? As with all foods, moderation and portion control.
  • nichell88
    nichell88 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I eat a good amount of dairy, it is a good portion of my diet. I am focused on eating a lot of protein and dairy is a good source. I eat fat free greek yogurt for breakfast, fat free string cheese for snacks, and I drink whey shakes. What was your rationale for thinking you had to cut dairy out?
  • nrbutton
    nrbutton Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Nothing is off limits as long as you don't have a medical condition that requires you limit or completely avoid a certain food. As long as you are not eating more calories than your body uses, you will lose weight. Conversely, if you consume more calories than your body uses you will gain weight.

What most people find is extremely calorie dense foods that are not filling (cakes, candy, refined sugar) are not worth it when trying to reach calorie and nutrition goals. Dairy products have plenty of nutrients to be "worth it" if you decide that you want to keep them in your diet
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Leenizi129 wrote: »
    Personally for me dairy is out! It is pretty bad for you. I enjoy almond or coconut milk. Do the 7 day challenge give it up for 7 days then eat it again and tell me how you feel.

Bad in what way?
  • andetarum
    andetarum Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I strongly recomend to read the book "the china study". It answers your question and explanes how to eat to be healthy. Its based on real reaserch not on some "nutritionists opinion". And no, you should not be eating dairy. Its one of the leading causes of cancer and been shown to caus autoimmune disorders in childern.
  • b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 2,143 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I'm lactose intolerant, so I can't do milk or ice cream without suffering a bit afterward, but if you aren't, then there is no reason why you can't have dairy. I was thrilled with learning about counting calories and working with my macros, and I figured out that I was so low on fat from so much bad info from so many of those restricted eating programs, that I needed to add fat back into my daily eating to match my macros. Was so glad to go back to full fat cheeses again (I :heart: cheese)!! :) (BTW, most processed cheeses have little to no lactose in them, which is why I can have cheese, but not milk.)

As long as it fits your calorie goals and your macros, feel free to have dairy!
  • 3rdof7sisters
    3rdof7sisters Posts: 486 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Dairy is still one of the 5 recommended food groups.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of dairy, have done since i was a kid and have never experienced any negative side effects. I would not and could not ever give it up, especially milk, yogurt, cottage cheese and ice cream. Oh and cream/sour cream. I just love it ALL.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    In the big picture of all fat from all sources, dairy fat is protective against developing cardio vascular disease. Enjoy.