April 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• OSUbuckeye906
    OSUbuckeye906 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Forgot to add that I took the plunge and check out the Strava thing. I'm sure this has been asked/addressed before but what do you all make of the difference in the distances between Garmin and Strava? I can't be the only one with 0.1 miles less for every run on Strava. It seems like all the other stats, such as the splits and overall pace, is correct but the difference in distance bugs me.

@Orphia Congrats on a great race!

@Skipper111 Welcome! I think you've already gotten some great advice about the food. As far as the mental battle, adding distance can be scary at first but after while, I found it to be exciting to reach new distances that I hadn't run before. If you're adding distance at a slow/safe rate, it should be something that is attainable. During the actual run, I like to focus on one mile (or half mile, or quarter mile, etc.) at a time. It seems much more attainable that way.

@7lenny7 Awesome pic!

• BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    @OSUbuckeye906 I usually run .02 to .03 miles over on Garmin so my mileage on Strava isn't short. It obviously drives me nuts too, but that seems enough to bring it up to a round number on Strava.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    @OSUbuckeye906 - I don't have any distance gap like that. I record my runs on my Garmin Forerunner 630 and sync with my phone after I am done. Garmin Connect on my phone syncs the data with Strava, so Strava is getting all of it's data on my runs from Garmin and they sync up. Are you by chance recording on two devices? Like recording on a Garmin watch and then simultaneously recording your run on Strava on your phone? If so it could be the difference between your phones GPS and your Garmins. If so, look closely at the routes in both apps to see which one most closely follows your route. Then you will know which one is more accurate. I found my Garmin to be more accurate than my phone. That is why I only record on my Garmin and have that feed all other apps via Garmin Connect afterwards.
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    WK: 4.10.17 - 4.16.17

M - Rest / Recover Day
    T - 10.6 m. 9:33 pace.
    W -
    T -
    F -
    S -
    S -
    Total -

Upcoming Events:
    xsgpq0u1vwr3.jpg
  • OSUbuckeye906
    OSUbuckeye906 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    @BeeerRunner Hmm, that sounds a little annoying to have to do that but I guess that would probably be less annoying than having the mileage off on Strava. I think it's odd that my overall pace is still the same though. It kind of looks like it pulls all the info from Garmin Connect except for that it calculates it's own distance based on the GPS info rather than the distance Garmin reports?

@WhatMeRunning I do exactly what you describe that you do. I only run with my Garmin watch (Forerunner 225) and sync with my phone after I'm done. Garmin Connect syncs the data with Strava. I wonder if it's the difference in the watch models? Maybe my watch's GPS is just a little less accurate?
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @OSUbuckeye906 Strava reports one decimal. Congratulations. You are right where you belong, with the rest of us data nerds :smiley:

I think your cumulative mileage will be correct tho, it just doesn't show the second decimal.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    @OSUbuckeye906 Yep, the dropped digit on Strava compared to Garmin has always bothered me too.
  • snowyne
    snowyne Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    4/1 - 7.0 mi.
    4/2 - 4.0 mi
    4/3 - 3.6 mi.
    4/4 - rest
    4/5 - 6.0 mi.
    4/6 - 4.0 mi.
    4/7 - 5.0 mi.
    4/8 - 4.4 mi.
    4/9 - rest
    4/10 - 4.4 mi.
    4/11 - 4.0 mi.

April goal: 42.4/100 miles

Absolutely gorgeous day!! Probably should've run in the early morning -- it was actually warm enough midday that I felt uncomfortably hot. I am new to running and I can't fathom how folks in places like Florida manage to run outside -- doesn't the heat/humidity make it 100X harder?? I know people get acclimated to their environments, but (speaking for myself) I think I would have to only run at dawn or at night if I lived in the south!
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    @OSUbuckeye906 I usually run .02 to .03 miles over on Garmin so my mileage on Strava isn't short. It obviously drives me nuts too, but that seems enough to bring it up to a round number on Strava.

I do this as well. Funny!
  • iofred
    iofred Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    12/04 - 8 miler, which was tougher than expected, speed and elevation changes

exercise.png

Completed
    11/03 - 10K Run The Solar System (thanks for the tip) - 52:01
    12/03 - TM Half Marathon (plugged in the MK HM route - attempt 1  ) - 1:54:02
    25/03 - TM Half Marathon (plugged in the MK HM route - attempt 2  ) - 1:53:53
    Coming up:
    • 15/04 - TM Half Marathon (plugged in the MK HM route - attempt 3)
    • 01/05 - Milton Keynes HM
    • 18/06 - Run-Bedford-Run - 10K
    • 02/09 - Bedford HM
    • 24/09 - Windsor HM
  • mustb60
    mustb60 Posts: 1,090 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Was not in the zone today in the beginning, my mind was making excuses like weather is too hot,need to sleep. Kept cajoling myself that just would cross this mile only and kept pushing. At the end improved my speed by 3 minutes. :smile:

April Running challenge
    Goal: 100 km
    Ran: 51.6/100 km
    12/4/17 Run 7 km
    11/4/17 Rest day walk 3 km
    10/4/17 Run 11 km 89 min
    9/4/17 walk 7 km
    8/4/17 Run 3.8 km walk 2 km
    7/4/17 Run 7.4 km walk 3 km
    6/4/17 Run 8.4 km walk 9 km
    5/4/17 walk 9 km
    4/4/17 Run 7 km
    3/4/17 Run 7 km walk 6 km
    2/4/17 walk 3 km
    1/4/17 walk 7 km
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I guess I am aware of a tiny discrepancy between Garmin and Strava that I haven't thought about for a while. If I stop my watch the moment I got my mileage then Strava is .1 short. What I have tended to do is lock my watch screen during the run and after it alerts me of my distance I unlock it while still running and starting to slow down. By the time I stop the watch I am .01 or .02 over on Garmin, and my mileage matches on Strava. So I guess you need to be at least .01 over on Garmin to get that last mile on Strava. I just never thought of that as a whole .1 mile difference apparently.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    iofred wrote: »
    I think I am ready for the HM in 2 weeks time.
    Only got one very big concern, which is a #2 facilities urge during the run :s ... doh

It happens. :wink: I stop and​ go if I need to. Some have pushed, erm, held on through. Remember to watch your fiber the few days before.
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    I don't really look at Strava too much to notice (or care, really) about the mileage difference. For all my metrics, I look at Garmin Connect; I tend to use Strava more to see how friends are doing.

03 - 13.37
    04 - 9.59
    05 - 13.39
    06 - 10.75
    07 - 13.36
    10 - 10.73
    11 - 9.27
    12 - 8.16

Total: 88.62 / 175 miles
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    garygse wrote: »
    I don't really look at Strava too much to notice (or care, really) about the mileage difference. For all my metrics, I look at Garmin Connect; I tend to use Strava more to see how friends are doing.

03 - 13.37
    04 - 9.59
    05 - 13.39
    06 - 10.75
    07 - 13.36
    10 - 10.73
    11 - 9.27
    12 - 8.16

Total: 88.62 / 175 miles
    That's basically how it is for me too. Oh, by the way, great running this month!
  • iofred
    iofred Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    iofred wrote: »
    I think I am ready for the HM in 2 weeks time.
    Only got one very big concern, which is a #2 facilities urge during the run :s ... doh

It happens. :wink: I stop and​ go if I need to. Some have pushed, erm, held on through. Remember to watch your fiber the few days before.

Lol, I know it happens, which is why that is my biggest concern ... I am one who tried to hold on through ... :(