April 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @shanaber - I would assume the cyclist is just pathologically inobservant, on a par with my podiatrist. So you don't have to go back and look up my post, the podiatrist totally missed the clue that I was wearing a current year Boston Celebration jacket and race shirt 2 days after Boston, and asked me how my "race out west" (Bend, OR cross country championship in February) had gone.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,407 Member
    Options
    Thanks @MobyCarp, @WhatMeRunning and @MNLittleFinn!
    @angmarie28 - beautiful pictures. I grew up in Idaho and did a double take it looks so much like home!
    @kgirlhart - we have that same issue with the heat in So CA (97 yesterday and 90 today). I get up and try to get out early before it gets too hot. I can usually get my normal run done before it gets to 75 even if I don't get out as early as I would like.
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,812 Member
    Options
    @shanaber after my marathon in July, we are headed to Idaho, North of coeur d'alene, we go every year to see hubs family, I'm hoping to have recovered enough to go for at least 1 run in the mountains while we are there
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn big congrats to your wife! I hope she is incredibly proud of herself, that's an awesome accomplishment!

So fun fact: I'm a moron. I knew my Earth Day 5K Virtual was meant to be tonight (KiR: Mostly registered because the medal is beautiful lol) so naturally I chose today to bank 1600 calories into dinner. My time was effing terrible because I felt so sick, the 5k I ran subsequently was basically me repeating over and over, "Don't you dare puke on the new treadmill. Don't puke. DON'T PUKE DAMMIT!" . Had to tap out at 10k to avoid disaster -_-

...Maybe this is why I run on an empty tank :/

April 1- 42.2
    April 2- 7.6
    April 3- 14
    April 4- 13.4
    April 5- Off
    April 6- 10
    April 7- 15.8
    April 8- Off
    April 9- 9.5
    April 10- 15.5
    April 11- 11.1
    April 12- 7.3
    April 13- Off
    April 14- 15.7
    April 15- 19.1
    April 16- 7.4
    April 17- 15.2
    April 18- 19.1
    April 19- Off
    April 20- 15 (TM)
    April 21- 15 (TM)
    April 22- 10 Earth Day 5K Virtual- 27:15

262.9 km/300 km
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I also played a bit more with the settings on the Garmin Connect site. I can't figure out if it isn't meant to add activity calories or if there's still just a checkbox that I haven't noticed. But they're definitely selling the Vivosmart line as activity trackers, so I feel a little bit cheated that only yesterday's run added anything, and after deleting the additional activity (sent by RunKeeper, where I had to delete a second copy of the run as sent by Zombies, Run!) I was only working with 2100 calories, as opposed to a similar day with the Fitbit, which would be 2800. But even with my substandard degree of compliance, that ought to make the weight loss actually happen, right? Feels like too much of a jump, to me.

@autumnblade75 Not sure if you're talking about what I think you're talking about, but I find Garmin to be rubbish at letting you count calories.

Garmin gives you barely any calories for exercise earned through walking. Fitbit was amazingly accurate for walking and running.

I've asked and asked about this all over the web. Basically, no-one has a reason.

I'm currently experimenting with having my MFP Activity Level set to Very Active (since I do at least 17,000 steps a day).
  • iofred
    iofred Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    23/04 - 6.2mile Taper #4 (@8:35min/pm - (much better pace, not certain if it was the lack of music or different shoes), followed with Interval & Shoulders supersets - T-8

exercise.png

Completed
    11/03 - 10K Run The Solar System (thanks for the tip) - 52:01
    12/03 - TM Half Marathon (plugged in the MK HM route - attempt 1  ) - 1:54:02
    25/03 - TM Half Marathon (plugged in the MK HM route - attempt 2  ) - 1:53:53
    15/04 - TM Easter Bunny support run (plugged in the MK HM route - attempt 2  ) - 1:59:03
    Coming up:
    • 01/05 - Milton Keynes HM
    • 18/06 - Run-Bedford-Run - 10K
    • 02/09 - Bedford HM
    • 24/09 - Windsor HM
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    I also played a bit more with the settings on the Garmin Connect site. I can't figure out if it isn't meant to add activity calories or if there's still just a checkbox that I haven't noticed. But they're definitely selling the Vivosmart line as activity trackers, so I feel a little bit cheated that only yesterday's run added anything, and after deleting the additional activity (sent by RunKeeper, where I had to delete a second copy of the run as sent by Zombies, Run!) I was only working with 2100 calories, as opposed to a similar day with the Fitbit, which would be 2800. But even with my substandard degree of compliance, that ought to make the weight loss actually happen, right? Feels like too much of a jump, to me.

@autumnblade75 Not sure if you're talking about what I think you're talking about, but I find Garmin to be rubbish at letting you count calories.

Garmin gives you barely any calories for exercise earned through walking. Fitbit was amazingly accurate for walking and running.

I've asked and asked about this all over the web. Basically, no-one has a reason.

I'm currently experimenting with having my MFP Activity Level set to Very Active (since I do at least 17,000 steps a day).

Yeah, I think you are interpreting correctly. That's a damn shame.

I think I will just wear the Fitbit all the time and add the Garmin for running. When this Fitbit gives out, I'll probably switch to the clip-on kind without the HR Monitor.

They do advertise it as a competitor to Fitbit, though, right? Not just as an affordable running watch with GPS?
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    4/1- 15.23
    4/2- 3.14
    4/3- 7.07
    4/4- 3.69
    4/5- 9
    3/6- REST
    4/7- 5.12
    4/8- 17.58
    4/9- 4.05
    4/10- 7.13
    4/11- 3.79
    4/12- 9
    4/13- REST
    4/14- 17
    4/15- 5.11
    4/16- 4.06
    4/17- 5.71
    4/18- REST
    4/19- 7.14
    4/20- REST
    4/21- 3.69
    4/22- 15
    4/23- 3.15

Total: 145.66

Monthly Goal: Stay "healthy" and get in good marathon training
    Nominal Mileage goal: 191 miles.

Today's notes: Easy run day, after yesterday's FFLR. Assignment was, as usual, to run 3 miles @ E pace. Ran 3.15 miles in 30:32 for an average pace of 9:41. This was all normal, until I checked out my stats on Garmin, and saw an average HR of 146. That's a whole 4 points lower than I've averaged on any run this training cycle. Sure, it was a short run on a cool (30F), but it did feel nice to see that HR.

As a related aside: I've noticed that I have been running a LITTLE slower, like 5-10sec/mile slower, as training goes on, but I'm also having consistently lower average HR, so maybe I'm finding my groove finally?

2017 Races
    6/16- William A Irvin 5k
    6/17- Grandma's Marathon (Full!)
    8/19- Rampage at the Ridge 5k OCR
    9/23- Ely Marathon (full)
    10/21 Wild Duluth 50k<- yeah, I'm crazy enough to go for it
    11/23- TBD 5k Turkey Trot
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Questions for the group -

I am thinking about a 1/2 marathon on May 21 (planning a little vacation - why not run while I'm at it?). Obviously that is 4 weeks out, and I don't have any real expectations for this race other than have fun, see a new place and challenge myself a little. My background is that I started running about 18 months ago and ran my first 1/2 in October with a time of 2:39 after completing a summer training program.

I'm signing up for the training program again for this summer (and it starts May 31) and will be doing a fall half again with the goal of really improving my fitness and time. So this is like a pre-training season race for fun, maybe to see where I am. I am currently running about 20-25 miles a week, with a long run up to 7-8 miles (although the month of April has been a bit spotty, the last week was on track again). I just completed a 10k with what was for me a great time, so I'm feeling good about how my fitness has improved over the last year.

So my questions are I guess, should I try to crank up my mileage and long runs in these next few weeks to better prepare for this? Last time I maxed out at 10 miles for my long run. I don't want to feel too fatigued going into this or going into to my real training season that starts shortly after that. I think I could probably finish a 1/2 right now, but it has been a long time since I ran over 90 minutes. Or should I just go on vacation like a normal person and not do it at all :)

• MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @katharmonic Part of me says go for it, but that's the part that signed me up for a second marathon and a 50k before running my first marathon.

Four weeks isn't a lot of time to ramp up training, given that you might want a week for taper. So.... and this goes against all my instincts.... it might be better to keep training how you are and take the vacation as a real one, with some running thrown in, so you're in good shape for your "real" training season.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    @katharmonic - You could do a half right now but you would probably find it a challenge and need some recovery time even if ran for fun just due to being such an increase from a long run you are accustomed to.

With it being only 4 weeks away a single increase in mileage over a 3 week period followed by a one week taper will help your strength and endurance. Don't crank up the mileage too much, do what you know you are capable of. If you are not sure how much to add, a good rule I heard from Jack Daniels that I think works really well is adding up to one mile per week for each day per week that you run. So if you run 5 days/week, bump your mileage up from 25/week to 30/week for the next 3 weeks. Add some hilly routes on your 2nd week and do as many hilly routes as you can on that 3rd week. Then do a down week to taper on week 4 ahead of the event.

I would still just run it for fun as planned, the difference the 3 weeks training will make is how much fun those final miles can be, and less recovery after as you look ahead to a new training plan.
  • iofred
    iofred Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    @katharmonic - as you claim it is just "for fun" (masochist) without any expectation, continue doing what you do, and see where it gets you during the HM, you can always make it a run/walk session if/when required
  • WhatMeRunning
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I am debating this morning's run. My resting HR was a little bit up this morning (10 to 12 percent), although not at overtraining levels (20%+). I saw a small part of my left calf twitching which I'm used to seeing in the hours after a long run, but not the following day unless I did a target event. That Garmin HM was not a target event, but was run as a strong long run with an extra 1.1 miles. I feel good, and can't tell if I'm being paranoid. I'm strongly leaning towards downgrading today's run to recovery effort instead of easy effort. I'll be super pissed though if something starts hurting though. But at the same time, I'll be super pissed if I miss out on training time for "coulda happened" type crap.

Me and my first world problems.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @WhatMeRunning better safe than sorry. You might "miss out" going easier, but if you over do it you'll miss out on more.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »

I find my Garmin overestimating my calorie burn yesterday DH and I ran together and our calorie burn was 20-30 calories apart. Hes 185 vs me about 125. We still burn 800 calories for a 77 minute run. I don't buy it.

There's probably something I need to adjust in the settings.
  • WhatMeRunning
    Options
    @WhatMeRunning better safe than sorry. You might "miss out" going easier, but if you over do it you'll miss out on more.
    Thanks. My interal debate after seeing my resting HR was about either skipping the run, running at recovery effort, or just continuing on. After seeing that twitch I had to acknowledge that I either needed an unplanned rest day or a recovery run. I have decided to do the recovery run. I have become a strong believer in active recovery over just rest. Hopefully the run feels good.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @katharmonic - I'd say do training lite for the half on May 21. Build your long run up to 10 miles, build your weekly mileage up to around 30, go run the half, have fun. Don't worry about getting in speed work, just get comfortable with running a few more miles than you do now.

If you can get in a routine groove of 30 to 35 miles per week with a long run of 10 to 12 miles, you can pretty much run a half any time you want to. Further training would be for performance and finishing time, not just to finish the half. This isn't all *that* much more than what you're doing now.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,407 Member
    Options
    angmarie28 wrote: »
    @shanaber after my marathon in July, we are headed to Idaho, North of coeur d'alene, we go every year to see hubs family, I'm hoping to have recovered enough to go for at least 1 run in the mountains while we are there

@angmarie28 - There is a race (HM, M, U) up at Priest Lake that is on my bucket list! It is SO beautiful there.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    @Stoshew71 looks like you have 1 week to go, how's taper treating you?

Thanks for asking. It's going good. No taper blues or anything like that. I am actually enjoying the rest and recovery. I feel like I am getting stronger and should be well prepared come Saturday. Yesterday's long run the first couple miles (between knowing storms were on the way and I felt very strong) I had to fight real hard to keep the run very easy paced. I still had those first 2 miles marathon and submarathon paced. I was able to bring the pace back down slower for the rest of the run. I felt like I could go faster but knew if I did that it would not be good going into my last taper week.