April 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• OSUbuckeye906
    OSUbuckeye906 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Has anyone ever run a longer distance race at night? I'll be most likely running a half marathon on Memorial Day weekend. It's called the New Moon Half Marathon to help ring in summer nights, so it's a whole moon theme and it starts at 6pm. I'll have to give some thought into how I want to handle nutrition and sleep. I'm thinking of still doing the traditional pasta dinner the night before and possibly a little bigger of a breakfast and then just smaller snacks throughout the day. And maybe a nap mid-day if my schedule and body allows it?
  • mustb60
    mustb60 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options

April Running challenge

Goal: 100 km
    Ran: 80.5/100 km

26/4/17 Run 7.2 km (80.5 km)
    25/4/17 Run 7.1 km (73.3 km)
    23/4/17 Run 7.4 km (66.2 km)
    22/4/17 Run 7.2 km (58.8 km)
    12/4/17 Run 7 km ( 51.6 km)
    11/4/17 Rest day walk 3 km
    10/4/17 Run 11 km 89 min (44.6)
    9/4/17 walk 7 km
    8/4/17 Run 3.8 km walk 2 km
    7/4/17 Run 7.4 km walk 3 km
    6/4/17 Run 8.4 km walk 9 km
    5/4/17 walk 9 km
    4/4/17 Run 7 km
    3/4/17 Run 7 km walk 6 km
    2/4/17 walk 3 km
    1/4/17 walk 7 km

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @mustb60 great job, keep up the good work!
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    I got out there and ran, but it's hot - and the sun came out with me. Boo. So I clocked 5 laps around the neighborhood, which Garmin is calling 5.5, and I know it's between 5.3 and 5.4 (because 6 laps is 6.4) and it was too hot for me to want to keep doing that, so I came inside and put another 1.8 on the treadmill (which Garmin wants to call 1.9 - and I have been saying all along that the damn thing is calibrated wrong...) So I'm calling it 7.1. Maybe I'll log another 4 miles later, or maybe I won't. Maybe I'll make it up on Saturday and not rest. Ha! I hope it rains. I'll go running in it, if it does.

But aside from that - I'm glad to have pointed out some settings that some of you were happy to change. That's a thing I like to do - investigate what all the buttons do.
  • Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    01/04 4.04 miles
    03/04 3.10 miles
    05/04 3.51miles
    06/04 4.14 miles
    07/04 3.10 miles
    11/04 3.01 miles
    13/04 3.52 miles
    14/04 4.06 miles
    15/04 4.12 miles
    16/04 3.54 miles
    18/04 3.60 miles
    19/04 4.09 miles
    20/04 4.09 miles
    21/04 4.60 miles
    24/04 3.53 miles
    26/04 6.35 miles - It's a full year since I managed this distance so well pleased!

exercise.png

• Bakins929
    Bakins929 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    So busy, so far behind on this thread and on my runs. I may be just able to meet my goal this month.

exercise.png
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the distance @Marissaxzxzxz!
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I have a question for all you long time, long distance runners. Where do you run? Do you just run from your house? Do you map out routes to run around town? How far are you willing to drive to run a new route? I find I get really bored with the same few running routes I have either from my house or from my gym.

I've been driving to a state park about 35 minutes away and I'm thinking of finding a new place to run to mix it up.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    MrsBoney12 wrote: »

Question: What is "HM"?

16508595_1616716335012114_3025353181839571596_n.jpg?oh=a9f3d15061c704ea4824a1b71eda8701&oe=597FC12D
  • OSUbuckeye906
    OSUbuckeye906 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    I have a question for all you long time, long distance runners. Where do you run? Do you just run from your house? Do you map out routes to run around town? How far are you willing to drive to run a new route? I find I get really bored with the same few running routes I have either from my house or from my gym.

I've been driving to a state park about 35 minutes away and I'm thinking of finding a new place to run to mix it up.

I'm basically always looking for running routes wherever I go. One of the reasons I chose the apartment that I live in now is because there are a bunch of different options for running from home. I also get bored running the same few routes, so I try to mix it up throughout the week so that I'm not running the same route too much but also because I try to run a mixture of flat routes and those that have some hills mixed in. I'm fortunate in that Columbus has a pretty nice multi-use paved trail system, which is pretty convenient to where I work. Sometimes, I'll bring my gym bag with me to work to change afterward and I'll stop at one of the trail heads on the way home from work. Most of the time, I will run from home and just try to mix up my routes (or even run a familiar route backward to keep things interesting). I'll map out my routes on Strava or MapMyRun if I'm planning on running a new route that I plan on making a loop instead of an out-and-back type run. Strava is a good tool to use to see common segments/routes that others run and get some good ideas for your own routes.
  • autumnblade75
    Options

I usually prefer the treadmill, but I just got a new Garmin, so I'm doing more of the outdoor thing, for the extra data, like a map, and it gives me a readout about the weather, and tells me which direction the wind was blowing. We really do live in the future. I have 2 routes that I'll do, from my front door, around the neighborhood. One is just over a mile, and the other, just under 2 miles. I repeat the loop, as many times as I need to.

I have been checking out Forest Preserves nearby, though. I did my 11 miles on Tuesday in a small preserve about 15 minutes away that used to be a racetrack. It has an asphalt trail (it's gravel at one end, and some of the asphalt is seriously degraded) and about 200 feet of elevation change per lap. There's a cutoff to skip the gravel portion of the trail, which shortens a loop from 3.25 miles to about 2.3. I ran counter-clockwise once around the full trail, then once taking the cutoff and made a note that the distance on my Garmin was 5.5 miles, which pleased me. I took a short restroom break and then repeated the process in a clockwise direction. Those hills are ridiculous. I should go back.

I'm intrigued to try a trail near work. I believe the map claims the loop is roughly 2 miles. If it's a bit less hilly than the other trail, it might make for a fun route. I drive a coworker home, though, so I'm not sure how that will work. I am reluctant to go before work, because I am a sweaty runner, and there are no showers. Also, we start around 3 a.m. and I balk at getting up earlier to get my sweat on.

RunKeeper will let you search routes that others have posted. I am horrified that people name them something like "from Home to the Library" and then make them public. I didn't have any luck finding what I was looking for, there, but you might.

The hospital my husband works at has a geothermal lake that they've put a paved path around. The loop is 3/4 of a mile. I have run up to 9 miles, around and around the lake. Lunchtime sees it full of walkers, and is not an optimal time of day to visit. He says there are coyote and the like, if I were compelled to try it after dark. But, hey, my neighborhood has skunks. When I was only running 30 minutes at a stretch, I did run outside before work. I am assured that skunks will stamp 3 times before they spray, but I am not convinced that skunks know how to count. The one I encountered only stamped once, and I did not require a tomato juice bath.

• zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options

I usually prefer the treadmill, but I just got a new Garmin, so I'm doing more of the outdoor thing, for the extra data, like a map, and it gives me a readout about the weather, and tells me which direction the wind was blowing. We really do live in the future. I have 2 routes that I'll do, from my front door, around the neighborhood. One is just over a mile, and the other, just under 2 miles. I repeat the loop, as many times as I need to.

I have been checking out Forest Preserves nearby, though. I did my 11 miles on Tuesday in a small preserve about 15 minutes away that used to be a racetrack. It has an asphalt trail (it's gravel at one end, and some of the asphalt is seriously degraded) and about 200 feet of elevation change per lap. There's a cutoff to skip the gravel portion of the trail, which shortens a loop from 3.25 miles to about 2.3. I ran counter-clockwise once around the full trail, then once taking the cutoff and made a note that the distance on my Garmin was 5.5 miles, which pleased me. I took a short restroom break and then repeated the process in a clockwise direction. Those hills are ridiculous. I should go back.

I'm intrigued to try a trail near work. I believe the map claims the loop is roughly 2 miles. If it's a bit less hilly than the other trail, it might make for a fun route. I drive a coworker home, though, so I'm not sure how that will work. I am reluctant to go before work, because I am a sweaty runner, and there are no showers. Also, we start around 3 a.m. and I balk at getting up earlier to get my sweat on.

RunKeeper will let you search routes that others have posted. I am horrified that people name them something like "from Home to the Library" and then make them public. I didn't have any luck finding what I was looking for, there, but you might.

The hospital my husband works at has a geothermal lake that they've put a paved path around. The loop is 3/4 of a mile. I have run up to 9 miles, around and around the lake. Lunchtime sees it full of walkers, and is not an optimal time of day to visit. He says there are coyote and the like, if I were compelled to try it after dark. But, hey, my neighborhood has skunks. When I was only running 30 minutes at a stretch, I did run outside before work. I am assured that skunks will stamp 3 times before they spray, but I am not convinced that skunks know how to count. The one I encountered only stamped once, and I did not require a tomato juice bath.

Oh man. I live in a neighborhood with a 1.5 mile loop and can't stand to go around it any more than twice. I guess that's why I've been trying to venture out, especially if it's longer than 5 miles.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @autumnblade75 I have like 5-6 different routes I use around home. When I'm going elsewhere, I'll map things out to fit my scheduled runs. Only reason I'm not running more routes is that, with my job, and marathon training, I'm trying to reduce some mental fatigue. Minimum route I have is 3 miles, and I'll run that 3 times for a 9 mile run, but beyond that, it's different routes.
  • HRKinchen
    HRKinchen Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    So... Vacation was great, but boy did I get behind on my running! Back at it now.

4/1: 1.3 (1.3)
    4/2: 1.5 (2.8)
    4/4: 1.5 (4.3)
    4/5: 3.4 (7.7)
    4/6: 1.3 (9.0)
    4/9: Race Day - 3.3 (12.3)
    4/10: 1.5 (13.8)
    4/12: 0.5 (14.3)
    4:15: 1.5 (15.8)
    4/26: 2.5 (18.3)

Goal for the month: 30
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

I'm really fortunate that I have a few different paved trail routes very nearby, some through my neighborhood, mostly connected to a very large paved trail system. I also have access to a few nearby parks very near my house (one quite large), and a few different non-paved trail systems in the general metro area I live within. So I don't find myself feeling the urge to travel to run often at all just due to that set of fortunate circumstances. One other nice thing is that the major intersections in my area are spaced roughly 1 mile apart on a grid, with many neighborhood streets (some winding) in between. So it is pretty easy to pick a random direction and plan a route of any distance along roads.

I typically run from my house for all of my routes. I do map out routes to run around town and have lots of options for various distances. For example, from my front door I have 2 regular 4-mile routes that I do, one on streamway paved trails and another that is simply a loop around my greater neighborhood on roads/sidewalks. Pretty much the only routes I travel for are for non-paved trail systems, although I have driven about 10 minutes away to parking near paved trails to do some searching down the length of them for a couple long runs just to finally explore the outer reaches of those trails.

The only difficulty I really struggle with when planning routes is planning challenging hilly routes. For shorter distances that is not so much of a problem as I am in an area just past where the glaciers stopped and near the confluence of two major rivers, so there are plenty of challenging hills just to get out of my immediate neighborhood. I have to go north and/or west to keep the challenging hills going as the other directions fade towards the classic Kansas prairie flat land, so they are hilly still in the nearby area, but less so. The really hilly options to the north and west get blocked by major creeks flowing to those rivers, and the best option for hills is to take neighborhood roads that are simply paved up and down the hills. The streamway trail system runs along the streams so they are not hilly, and the major roads tend to cut through those hills. Since they don't make bridges across major streams for neighborhood roads, that is what makes this planning tricky. Strava makes this so much easier with the elevation profile available on the Route Planner. I will make up a route of a certain distance along a couple options I can work out and compare the elevation to decide which one I will beat my legs up against.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Has anyone ever run a longer distance race at night? I'll be most likely running a half marathon on Memorial Day weekend. It's called the New Moon Half Marathon to help ring in summer nights, so it's a whole moon theme and it starts at 6pm. I'll have to give some thought into how I want to handle nutrition and sleep. I'm thinking of still doing the traditional pasta dinner the night before and possibly a little bigger of a breakfast and then just smaller snacks throughout the day. And maybe a nap mid-day if my schedule and body allows it?

Winter Warrior Half Marathon is an evening race. I think gun time was 4:30, in early January, during Daylight Wasting Time when the days are shortest. You run through the sunset, into the dusk, and I want a headlamp for the last 3 or 4 miles. The first year, I was worried about gut functions and made a point of reducing fiber intake two days before and making sure I ate something processed for lunch. It worked for me.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options

I'm not a long time, long distance runner, but dreaming of it. I run trails mostly, but i have a couple of out and backs and loops i can do easily from my house. Plus when i run with the club, they choose interesting routes that i record for the future.

The UK is blessed with one of the world's greatest topographical map systems, everything is mapped. And we have so many public footpaths, that go all over the land. There's a lot of fun to be had planning a circular route, and then navigating when you get there (many of the paths are imaginary and not visible, so you get to a field and have to figure out where it comes out the other side ( the map shows the fields), then you have to climb over the stile and GET to the other side (avoiding bulls). I'd never run without a map in those conditions, but have been caught out by not paying attention to when the land is marked as marshy ( wet feet) or there's a stream with no crossing. And many, many's the time I've followed sheep tracks thinking that was the path.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the PR @MNLittleFinn!

I can see it now, if @Stoshew71 buys the wheely measury thingy...

Stoshew71 burned 8,432 calories doing 210 minutes of "The Certified Running Stan"!

Love this!!!!
  • autumnblade75
    Options
    @zdyb23456, @MNLittleFinn - I may be the wrong person to answer this sort of thing. Like I said, I usually prefer the treadmill. I have an EXTREMELY high tolerance for boredom and repetition.