Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @MrsBoney12 HM is a half marathon

Could be a Hairy Monkey.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    My HRM seems to be kaput. :cry: I have noticed the last couple weeks that at some points on my run it shows no HR on my Garmin watch, but at the end of runs I seem to have full HR data so I didn't pay it too much mind. Then the other day it would not sync up with my Garmin at all. A new battery seemed to take care of that, but I still noticed no HR showing at a couple points during my runs. Then today, even with the new battery, it never synced up even during the full 111 minutes I was running. A replacement is on the way and a proper funeral is being planned for my current one.

So I did today's 8 mile run by feel and it went very well. I seem to have kept myself honest today as my pace is right about where it should have been, maybe a little fast, but I honestly was expecting I should have felt some boost today and expected to have a relatively strong pace for the distance. So I guess I read my "feel" correctly.

It was a bit chilly out this morning, and now even in my warm house typing this up I feel chilly. I guess I need to grab some hot coffee or something.

4/1 - 10 miles
    4/2 - 4 miles
    4/3 - 4 miles
    4/4 - 4 miles
    4/5 - 4 miles
    4/6 - 4 miles
    4/7 - rest
    4/8 - 10 miles
    4/9 - 4 miles
    4/10 - 4 miles
    4/11 - 4 miles
    4/12 - 4 miles
    4/13 - 4 miles
    4/14 - rest
    4/15 - 12 miles of death by hills
    4/16 - 4 miles
    4/17 - 8 miles
    4/18 - 4 miles
    4/19 - 8 miles
    4/20 - 4 miles
    4/21 - rest = insanity
    4/22 - 13 miles (technically 13.1)
    4/23 - 4 miles
    4/24 - 8 miles
    4/25 - 4 miles
    4/26 - 8 miles

137 of 120 miles complete

exercise.png

Upcoming Events:
    5/20 - Running with the Cows Half Marathon
    6/3 - Hospital Hill Half Marathon
    10/21 - Kansas City Marathon
    10/28 - Some 50k, can't remember the name, ask 7lenny7
    11/12 - Gobbler Grind Marathon
    11/19 - Pilgrim Pacer Marathon
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Way to tough it out in the crappy weather @iofred, @MNLittleFinn and @girlinahat!

@Stoshew71 - It would be nice if MFP had any freaking clue about proper sports nutrition! :lol: I always get a laugh when adding in my recovery drink (Gatorade powder and Whey Protein) about the dire warning about the sugar or sodium content in the Gatorade. I mean, what the hell do they expect? It does give me credit for the high protein count in the Whey Protein. I would never have known otherwise.

You can turn those "helpful" hints off, but I forget where I stumbled across the setting for it. Perhaps I'll waste some time looking for it, for you guys. I'm procrastinating my 11 mile run. They say it's going to rain. I'm kind of waiting for it to start.

Edited to add: If you click the "hamburger" icon (I love that they call it that...) and open the "Settings" you''ll find "Diary Settings." The option is you want is called "Show Diary Food Insights." I also unchecked the water logging while I was there.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options

You can turn those "helpful" hints off, but I forget where I stumbled across the setting for it. Perhaps I'll waste some time looking for it, for you guys. I'm procrastinating my 11 mile run. They say it's going to rain. I'm kind of waiting for it to start.

Edited to add: If you click the "hamburger" icon (I love that they call it that...) and open the "Settings" you''ll find "Diary Settings." The option is you want is called "Show Diary Food Insights." I also unchecked the water logging while I was there.

oooh. thanks for that. I'm so NOT a water tracker, and the food insights seems a bit pointless.

now, put on your Big Girl Pants and get out there, rain or no rain.

• autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »

oooh. thanks for that. I'm so NOT a water tracker, and the food insights seems a bit pointless.

now, put on your Big Girl Pants and get out there, rain or no rain.

The pants are on. The run will happen. There's still no rain. ... all right, I'm going... I'm going... ***mutter, mutter***
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    @Stoshew71 - do they not call that wheel thing a trundle wheel anymore?!!!!

also. 840g of carbs!!! that's over 3000 calories. What ELSE are you eating???? :)

They may. There's a bunch od names for it floating around on the Internet.

And during carb load time, I don't eat much else than pure carbs. Can't afford to get in too many overall calories by eating protein and fat. Most "junk food" that is high in carbs are also high in fat. So I had to pick stuff that is relatively lower in fat. It's not really all fun and games when that is pretty much all you're eating. I'm dealing with sugar highs and lows and just a slight nausea as well, as all the liquid I am drinking means more frequent trips to the bathroom.
  • snowyne
    snowyne Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    4/1 - 7.0 mi.
    4/2 - 4.0 mi
    4/3 - 3.6 mi.
    4/4 - rest
    4/5 - 6.0 mi.
    4/6 - 4.0 mi.
    4/7 - 5.0 mi.
    4/8 - 4.4 mi.
    4/9 - rest
    4/10 - 4.4 mi.
    4/11 - 4.0 mi.
    4/12 - 4.9 mi. (oh, honestly...why didn't I eke out another .1 for a nice even 5?? :p )
    4/13 - 3.1 mi.
    4/14 - 5.0 mi.
    4/15 - 3.9 mi.
    4/16 - rest - happy easter!
    4/17 - 4.0 mi.
    4/18 - 4.6 mi.
    4/19 - 4.1 mi.
    4/20 - 4.0 mi.
    4/21 - 5.5 mi.
    4/22 - 5.1 mi.
    4/23 - rest
    4/24 - 4.5 mi.
    4/25 - 3.5 mi.
    4/26 - 5.0

April goal: 99.6/100 miles
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options

exercise.png
  • WhatMeRunning
    edited April 2017
    Options
    You know you might be addicted to running when you go to the MFP web page on your laptop and in the list of "Recent Forum Topics" on the upper right of the page you see one titled "What Do You Eat For Breakfast" and your first instinct is to click right in and say "Hills for Breakfast!!!".
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @Brumley2005 - I think the best advice on shoes have been offered. It's not really the brand that matters, it's the ones that fit your feet the best and provide support where you need it based upon your gait. It's all individual. Just because someone has run many thousands of miles in a particular shoe does not mean that shoe can work on another person. The salesperson should look at your current shoes at the wear pattern, and watch you run to help determine the right shoe. Also, look for sales, but never let the price keep you from getting proper shoes. When it comes to equipment, the #1 priority in running is caring for your feet and legs. Shoes are where your legs and feet meet the ground, so it really is the top concern. Even for barefoot runners who choose it is most important to run barefoot than to have some unnatural thing between their feet and the ground.

@Brumley2005-I second this advice and what else has already been said. The initial investment on the shoes might be more than you want to pay, but after you find a model that works for you, you can usually find good deals on line for last year's model shoes. I stock up on them when I find them. However, if you do go to a running store and utilize their expertise, please consider buying the first pair of shoes from them. Local running stores do so much for the running community and often operate with very small profit margins. Most of them are in business because the owners love to run and support other runners. We all need to do what we can to give back and keep them around to continually support our sport!

@girlinahat - Nothing to add to what @Stoshew71 and @MobyCarp already offered, except to say that the more turns there are in a course, the less likely you are to run good tangents. Boston was a pretty straight line course, and it showed on my Garmin, which clocked in at 26.34 miles. I ran Charleston, SC in 2015 and thought it would be a fast course because it was flat, but it actually ranks up there as one of the slowest courses because the second half is a complete mess of twists and turns through parking lots and on and off bike paths. It's virtually impossible to run perfect tangents there and my Garmin said that I ran nearly a half mile longer than I should have and my official pace was almost 10 seconds slower than what my Garmin recorded.

@Stoshew71 - 840g of carbs!!! Holy smokes. I had trouble hitting 300g two weeks ago. Also wanted to add, good luck this weekend!!! I will be thinking about you along with a few other friends I know running that race. I hope the stars align for you. We all know that you definitely put in the work!

@OSUbuckeye906 - Congrats on your race last weekend. You did what you set out to do, and that is all we can hope for. Well done!

@7Lenny7- Sorry to hear about your MIL. Wishing the best to you and your family. (FWIW, I like the beard).
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    @autumnblade75 Thanks for the settings tip.
    @lporter229 It's a serious ritual I start 3 days away from a marathon. It's a sign that it is about to happen.

If anyone cares to track me: https://derbyfestivalmarathon.com/runner-tracking
    I am bib# 1888
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    Awesome @MNLittleFinn
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »

Thanks. with all the ice this morning, I was slightly surprised I was able to keep the pace i did, it felt more like skating than running....makes me wonder how fst I could run a 10k under optimal conditions...... but that's for later, too many long races this year to look at improving 10k time
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    Funny, since I clicked on a link from DCRainmaker about that wheely measuring thingy, now MFP and Amazon want me to buy one.

ksv16i83phfx.jpg
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @Stoshew71 LOL....then you could certify your long runs!
  • WhatMeRunning
    Options
    Congrats on the PR @MNLittleFinn!

I can see it now, if @Stoshew71 buys the wheely measury thingy...

Stoshew71 burned 8,432 calories doing 210 minutes of "The Certified Running Stan"!
  • OSUbuckeye906
    OSUbuckeye906 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    @BEERRUNNER @WhatMeRunning @lporter229 Thanks! I think I'm okay with not setting a PR since it's my first race back pre-injury and I came pretty close, given the circumstances (which almost makes it worse, I guess). I guess you could also say that I technically did PR because I've never run at 6.9 mile race before ;)

@Stoshew71 Good luck on Saturday! I'll be thinking about you and tracking (and secretly being jealous of running that particular race...I'll get back there one day).

@MNLittleFinn Congrats on the 10k and mileage PRs

• MNLittleFinn
    Options
    I can see it now, if @Stoshew71 buys the wheely measury thingy...

Stoshew71 burned 8,432 calories doing 210 minutes of "The Certified Running Stan"!

ROFL....this is awesome!
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Way to tough it out in the crappy weather @iofred, @MNLittleFinn and @girlinahat!

@Stoshew71 - It would be nice if MFP had any freaking clue about proper sports nutrition! :lol: I always get a laugh when adding in my recovery drink (Gatorade powder and Whey Protein) about the dire warning about the sugar or sodium content in the Gatorade. I mean, what the hell do they expect? It does give me credit for the high protein count in the Whey Protein. I would never have known otherwise.

Thank you! I turned off the helpful hints, which weren't that big a deal for me to ignore; but right next to that was a setting to make multi-add the default. That's something I'll find useful.