Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Should women lift heavy?

Options

Replies

• Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    VioletRojo wrote: »
    My ovaries can't handle heavy lifting.

I thought it made one's uterus fall out.

My mom legitimately believes this and reminds me on a regular basis.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    ladyreva78 wrote: »
    :flushed:

I'm surprised it's even a question...

Pretty sure it's not a legit question since the OP joined today and already deactivated....maybe they deleted their account and went to go lift?

I can only hope so!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Women should do some kind of resistance training just as any man should do some kind of resistance training. Whether that's lifting "heavy" or not would be dependent on the objectives. "Heavy" as in low rep at a high % of max weight per movement is an excellent way to gain maximal strength in a fairly linear fashion.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Depends. Do they want to lift heavy? Are they cleared by their doctor to lift heavy? Just like men, if they're healthy enough to do it and they want to do it then they should do it bar other preventing factors.
  • Lisseth03
    Lisseth03 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    yes yes yes, a thousand times yes.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Women should do whatever they want.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    LOL. Let's pour one out for the OP.

Aqua_Sony2012, we hardly knew ya :drinker:

I wonder if the deactivation was part of this troll, or if they got into hot water in one of the 8 other threads they contributed to in their short stay with us?
  • heiliskrimsli
    heiliskrimsli Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Unless a particular individual has some kind of injury which makes it inadvisable, then yes they should lift heavy if they want to.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    LOL. Let's pour one out for the OP.

Aqua_Sony2012, we hardly knew ya :drinker:

I wonder if the deactivation was part of this troll, or if they got into hot water in one of the 8 other threads they contributed to in their short stay with us?

Nah, the other 7 posts are in a 2014 thread about cutting carbs. They'd actually been a member for years.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    *Looks in the mirror*

Um.. well it works for me.
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Define heavy. And must it involve deadlifts, bench press, squats with barbells?

Can they? Of course. Should (must) they? No, of course not. Unless you're training to become a bodybuilder.

It's not a necessity for optimal health. What's necessary is ANY form of resistance training. And that can be accomplished with bodyweight training, resistance bands, suspension trainers/TRX, various sports etc, all of which can be used to build adequate muscle and strength.