Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Should women lift heavy?

Options

Replies

• Leenizi129
    Leenizi129 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I work out with free weights and some machines and adjust according to what body part I am working on.
  • RosieRose7673
    RosieRose7673 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Thoughts?

If they enjoy it, absolutely. It's exactly the same as men. If they enjoy it-yes!

Any exercise is great if you enjoy it!
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    VioletRojo wrote: »
    My ovaries can't handle heavy lifting.

I thought it made one's uterus fall out.

My mom legitimately believes this and reminds me on a regular basis.
    She isn't entirely wrong. A pre-existing uterine prolapse can be exacerbated by lifting anything heavy, as it places pressure on the abdomen.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Prolapse-of-the-uterus/Pages/Introduction.aspx

I'm 100% sure she has no idea what a prolapse of the uterus is and with the odds of that being extremely low for me at this stage in my life I certainly won't be informing her as I don't want to give any more fuel to her fire ;)
    I can't speak as to whether your mother is au fait with the term 'prolapse', but given she's told you that lifting will make your uterus fall out, i.e. suffer a prolapse, and she's old enough to have an adult daughter, I'd take a guess she knows about them! Whatever her personal health, she's at the age where your close friends discover they have untreated gynae issues, even if you yourself got through pregnancy unscathed.

I bet she might even know where babies come from, too.

Saying weightlifting will make your uterus fall out is like saying driving will make you break your neck in a car accident. Could it happen and does it increase your chances of it happening? Absolutely. Just as many things will make that neck breaking scenario more likely to happen like driving under the influence, driving over the speed limit etc., many things would make a prolapse of the uterus more likely to happen. Perpetuating the idea that it WILL happen though creates fear of something that is far more likely to have benefits to health than risks to health for most women. (Note- while my mom reminds me lifting WILL make my uterus falling out she hasn't told my brothers to stop lifting because they WILL get a hernia)

Also, I didn't say she was irrational or stupid (I think you're right, she might know where babies come from), I simply said the odds are extremely low for me at this state in my life as these seem to be the risk factors so the fear isn't really necessary.

One or more vaginal births - No
    Post-menopause - No
    Chronic cough or constipation - No
    Pelvic tumors - No
    Obesity - No
    Heavy lifting - Yes

LOVE YA MOM!
    Erm. Look, none of that is what I took issue with. I'm not saying you will develop a uterine prolapse... Or speculating about what the odds are for you. Not my circus, not my monkeys.

I'm saying that:

a) this idea that the uterus will fall out is not as outlandish as it sounds. It may sound like it's just extension of the idea that "if women lift they will turn into the Hulk" HURR!, therefore lifting could also make their breasts fall off or make the uterus fall out... However, this one isn't based on lifting being unwomanly.

This is something that a lot of women experience for themselves, sadly.

b)
    I'm 100% sure she has no idea what a prolapse of the uterus is

Don't be ridiculous. <--- this was my main point. ;) I really doubt she's as ignorant about gynaecological issues as you were speculating.
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    VioletRojo wrote: »
    My ovaries can't handle heavy lifting.

I thought it made one's uterus fall out.

My mom legitimately believes this and reminds me on a regular basis.
    She isn't entirely wrong. A pre-existing uterine prolapse can be exacerbated by lifting anything heavy, as it places pressure on the abdomen.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Prolapse-of-the-uterus/Pages/Introduction.aspx

I'm 100% sure she has no idea what a prolapse of the uterus is and with the odds of that being extremely low for me at this stage in my life I certainly won't be informing her as I don't want to give any more fuel to her fire ;)
    I can't speak as to whether your mother is au fait with the term 'prolapse', but given she's told you that lifting will make your uterus fall out, i.e. suffer a prolapse, and she's old enough to have an adult daughter, I'd take a guess she knows about them! Whatever her personal health, she's at the age where your close friends discover they have untreated gynae issues, even if you yourself got through pregnancy unscathed.

I bet she might even know where babies come from, too.

Saying weightlifting will make your uterus fall out is like saying driving will make you break your neck in a car accident. Could it happen and does it increase your chances of it happening? Absolutely. Just as many things will make that neck breaking scenario more likely to happen like driving under the influence, driving over the speed limit etc., many things would make a prolapse of the uterus more likely to happen. Perpetuating the idea that it WILL happen though creates fear of something that is far more likely to have benefits to health than risks to health for most women. (Note- while my mom reminds me lifting WILL make my uterus falling out she hasn't told my brothers to stop lifting because they WILL get a hernia)

Also, I didn't say she was irrational or stupid (I think you're right, she might know where babies come from), I simply said the odds are extremely low for me at this state in my life as these seem to be the risk factors so the fear isn't really necessary.

One or more vaginal births - No
    Post-menopause - No
    Chronic cough or constipation - No
    Pelvic tumors - No
    Obesity - No
    Heavy lifting - Yes

LOVE YA MOM!
    Erm. Look, none of that is what I took issue with. I'm not saying you will develop a uterine prolapse... Or speculating about what the odds are for you. Not my circus, not my monkeys.

I'm saying that:

a) this idea that the uterus will fall out is not as outlandish as it sounds. It may sound like it's just weird sexist propaganda because lifting is traditionally masculine HURR!, therefore lifting will make women look like men/make their breasts fall of/make the uterus fall out... However, it isn't. This is something that a lot of women experience for themselves, sadly.

b)
    I'm 100% sure she has no idea what a prolapse of the uterus is

Don't be ridiculous. <--- this was my main point. ;) I really doubt she's as ignorant about gynaecological issues as you were speculating.

Gotcha; thanks for your clarification.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    If it's medically okay for them (for me it's not) and they want to.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Define heavy. And must it involve deadlifts, bench press, squats with barbells?

Can they? Of course. Should (must) they? No, of course not. Unless you're training to become a bodybuilder.

It's not a necessity for optimal health. What's necessary is ANY form of resistance training. And that can be accomplished with bodyweight training, resistance bands, suspension trainers/TRX, various sports etc, all of which can be used to build adequate muscle and strength.

It has nothing to do with bodybuilding...low rep at a high % of 1RM isn't how bodybuilders train...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    bulky.jpg

a7e9bc151ff83650f8c6b1720386797d.jpg

And even then you're talking about spot on nutrition and very solid and specific programming...awesome genetics and years of work.

I know tons of women who lift and very few look like this even...
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    bulky.jpg

And even then you're talking about spot on nutrition and very solid and specific programming...awesome genetics and years of work.

Good point. And if that's true, then indeed, why should women lift heavy if chances of looking like girl #2 & 3 are slim to none? Why risk disk degenerative disease, various injuries like busted shoulders and knees, and as I'm learning on this thread, uteruses falling out? Sounds like a lot of unnecessary risk.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    Yes women should go ahead and lift heavy if they want to.

It's okay if they show their ankles, too.
    Steady on. :o

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Yes women should go ahead and lift heavy if they want to.

It's okay if they show their ankles, too.
    Steady on. :o

cb37879b79dcf7098d1cea17a6d56520.jpg

Oooh, risque! You're gonna get jailed, for sure! :D
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,765 Member
    Options
    bulky.jpg

Good point. And if that's true, then indeed, why should women lift heavy if chances of looking like girl #2 & 3 are slim to none? Why risk disk degenerative disease, various injuries like busted shoulders and knees, and as I'm learning on this thread, uteruses falling out? Sounds like a lot of unnecessary risk.

Because it's freaking fun to pull 330 pounds off the floor.

/thread
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    bulky.jpg

Because it's freaking fun to pull 330 pounds off the floor.

Congrats on your gains!

I remember when you posted your 300lb lift and I swear it doesn't seem that long ago.