Older lady glared at me at the gym!!!

Options

Replies

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    You are the one making yourself uncomfortable by dwelling on this.
    She may or may not have given you a look. So what? She didn't make nasty comments, dump water on you or anything really unpleasant. Maybe you actually have a less friendly expression on your face when you workout and she was thinking "WTF is her problem."
    Maybe if you see her again smile and say hi.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Maybe maybe she liked what you were wearing, maybe it was nothing but perhaps your own perception of what may or may not have been even happening..

What to do? nothing.
  • ggilly88
    ggilly88 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    What's the relevance of the 'older' in the subject and message? I would be classed as an older gym member (who has a RBF incidentally!) and am interested in why age has cropped up...... should I get paranoid about it? Was it me??? I do a lot of scrunched up faces as I can't wear my glasses in the gym and squint lots to see!
  • JourneeAfter0704
    JourneeAfter0704 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Next time I'll blow her a kiss
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Lately, whenever I have a negative encounter with a stranger that leaves me scratching my head, I say this to them in my head: "May you be well. May you be happy. May you be free from suffering." I believe it's called a loving kindness meditation. It's from a book I'm reading. It really helps to move past situation like this because as others have said, it's hard to know what her problem was. It makes me feel better, at least.

Or if this ever happens again you can ask, "Excuse me, maam. Is there some problem I can help you with?" That's called the kill 'em with kindness. You may not like the answer, but at least you will know what the problem is.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Is it just me that would have turned and said "Hi, I'm Suzanne. I'm new to this gym" ? Smile face
  • Leenizi129
    Leenizi129 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I would of walked over said "Hello" and started small talk about how great it is that she is working out! Sometimes a little kindness goes a long way!
  • JourneeAfter0704
    Options
    My reference to older was meaning she was older then me . I am 30.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,140 Member
    Options

Or you're projecting because you're still uncomfortable with going to the gym.

ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner.

+1

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,140 Member
    Options
    I'd love to know what OP's definition of 'older lady' is. The poor woman is probably no more than 45, and was more than likely just concentrating on her workout.

Probably. Probably wasn't even looking at the OP.
  • JourneeAfter0704
    Options
    Whoa whoa hey now .... I guess my reference to older has some people's panties in a bunch. Wasn't asking for advice just talking about an experience I had. Next time I am will go say hi! I would love to make gym friends! Oh by the way...my gym partner is my 55 year old mother in law ...FYI
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Whoa whoa hey now .... I guess my reference to older has some people's panties in a bunch. Wasn't asking for advice just talking about an experience I had. Next time I am will go say hi! I would love to make gym friends! Oh by the way...my gym partner is my 55 year old mother in law ...FYI

and was the 'older' lady older than your MIL?
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I'm still trying to work out why the go-to assumption was she was glaring because you're not "ridiculously overweight"
  • JourneeAfter0704
    Options

and was the 'older' lady older than your MIL?

Yup
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I'm still trying to work out why the go-to assumption was she was glaring because you're not "ridiculously overweight"

I must of missed that, I'm guess that's where the edit came in to the opening post?

• JourneeAfter0704
    Options

I removed that part of my post. I have been having alot (mostly family and friends) fit shaming me lately. Saying things like ..that's all your eating...didn't you just go the gym yesterday.... I wouldn't lose to much more weigh. Maybe I was projecting a little but she was defiantly glaring lol