Artificial Sweeteners?

Options

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    KateTii wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of artificial sweeteners, but only because for the majority of them, I can tell they aren't real sugar and taste different to me. Instead, I slowly dropped the amount of sugar I was adding to my tea/coffee and now it doesn't hurt at all to add my 1 sugar sachet into my black tea/coffee.

You won't know how you feel about artificial sweeteners until you try them.

For example, I don't like diet coke but pepsi max is great, both 0 calories with artificial sweeteners. I don't like the taste of one, love the taste of the other.

You can keep the Pepsi max... Blech! I'll have the diet coke. (but I'll leave the coke zero for someone else... Urgh!)
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    Helped me a lot. I use them excessively as I drink a lot of warm drinks of all types and drink lots of diet carbonated drinks too.
  • glassofroses
    glassofroses Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    fascha wrote: »
    Come to think of it broccoli and onions do that to me too!

They're foods that ferment in the gut/bowel and can cause irritation and therefore bloating. I was very sad to give up broccoli but my IBS thanked me for it.

I use Canderel for my tea and drink caramel lattes from the Tassimo so they're already sweet enough. Diet Coke and diet Dr Pepper gives me tummy problems but I do okay with Diet Pepsi so I think it's just a case of what works for you.
  • JstTheWayIam
    JstTheWayIam Posts: 6,357 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    https://youtu.be/uA7Rr0HXvMY

From Michael Greger nutritionfacts.org
  • JstTheWayIam
    edited April 2017
    Options

There is obviously a profit motive in convincing you all that there are no harmful effects associated with artificial sweeteners

However, I fail to see what motive those who speak out against companies that manufacture these products could possibly have...

Obesity, cancer, heart disease, depression, diabetes, have all been on the rise for decades now. All of your diet cupcakes and zero calories sodas have done nothing to help the matter

In fact you could probably graph the rise in these conditions against the rise in sweeteners and find a direct correlation between the two...

Or you can just think about it a little and ask yourself when did you first start to see light cupcakes and diet sodas on the market and ask yourself, gee when did the health of America really start to decline...
  • FreyasRebirth
    FreyasRebirth Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    My brother used to get a bad rash every time he ate chocolate, that doesn't mean chocolate is "terrible for you".

If they make you feel bad, avoid them. Otherwise, it isn't a worry.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    If we accept that all artificial sweeteners have been tested extensively and found to be safe to consume, it seems to me the only thing left to ask with regards to anecdotes is which one people like best. I like splenda/sucralose. It tastes best to me and Aldi sells a generic brand of it for about 1/4 of the brand-name cost. Saccharine (SweetnLow) and stevia (Truvia) both have a bad aftertaste to me. (I'm always surprised that no one else seems to find stevia terribly bitter, but whatever.) I'll use aspartame/Equal if that's all that's around. Its in the middle taste-wise.

"Science" is still learning all sorts of things, so if someone swears they have tummy trouble every time they eat something, I wouldn't necessarily pooh-pooh them. There could be a rare condition that makes people sensitive to a certain substance that we don't know about yet. But I wouldn't take it as meaningful for myself either, unless I had the same experience. If they claimed it caused cancer or serious damage, I'd take that with a very large grain of salt, cuz that's the sort of thing that gets studied. Which basically means that in the end. go ahead and try one in your coffee and see if you like it. Its not going to hurt you. But as somebody else kind of implied, take it for what its worth - it will save you enough calories to have an apple instead, but you probably don't want to build your diet around it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,584 Member
    Options
    I like sugar in my coffee. I can barely stomach it plain. But it adds more calories than I'd like to see. I'm looking into artificial sweeteners and I'm finding very conflicting information about its benefits/harmful effects.
    I'm not looking for scientific data - but, rather personal experience stories.
    Have artificial sweeteners helped you, or hurt you?
    25+ year drinking at least 2 Diet Pepsi's a day. Hasn't hindered anything I've done.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• comeonnow142857
    comeonnow142857 Posts: 310 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    If we accept that all artificial sweeteners have been tested extensively and found to be safe to consume, it seems to me the only thing left to ask with regards to anecdotes is which one people like best. I like splenda/sucralose. It tastes best to me and Aldi sells a generic brand of it for about 1/4 of the brand-name cost. Saccharine (SweetnLow) and stevia (Truvia) both have a bad aftertaste to me. (I'm always surprised that no one else seems to find stevia terribly bitter, but whatever.) I'll use aspartame/Equal if that's all that's around. Its in the middle taste-wise.

"Science" is still learning all sorts of things, so if someone swears they have tummy trouble every time they eat something, I wouldn't necessarily pooh-pooh them. There could be a rare condition that makes people sensitive to a certain substance that we don't know about yet. But I wouldn't take it as meaningful for myself either, unless I had the same experience. If they claimed it caused cancer or serious damage, I'd take that with a very large grain of salt, cuz that's the sort of thing that gets studied. Which basically means that in the end. go ahead and try one in your coffee and see if you like it. Its not going to hurt you. But as somebody else kind of implied, take it for what its worth - it will save you enough calories to have an apple instead, but you probably don't want to build your diet around it.

This is a good post.

Issues are often attributed to one ingredient, when the consumer is missing out consideration of other ingredients in what they consumer. IE. Aspartame in Diet Coke causing stomach upset/gas & shakiness... It's filled with carbonation and caffeine!!! You also have a lot of issues attributed to gluten insensitivity which are really about other issues in foods that tend to be high in gluten, etc. But if something doesn't make you feel right, sure, put it down. It just may not be for the reason you think it is, no matter how convincing that latest fad doctor's book is at giving you a framework that seems to make all your problems fit in a "AHA!" puzzle.

Correlation/causation is hard, and if you can't account for the distinction (like JstTheWaylam's argument above) you aren't in a position where you'll be able to figure it out.
  • JstTheWayIam
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Simply saying that everyone's got a financial stake does not suddenly mean that soda manufacturers do not have a financial stake in convincing people that artificial sweeteners are not harmful... In fact to the contrary, in only helps to backup my argument...

Also note that all the money Dr Greger makes from his book went to charity and he makes nothing on his website either...

You say that I refused to put up any sort of factual argument, while I present you with a YouTube video that definitely has factual information...

You then claim the data to be cherry picked (which your going to claim no matter what I present you with) and counter with absolutely nothing... Nothing at all...
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Perhaps if you linked to peer-reviewed scientific studies proving your point, you would get a better response. One youtube video with one man's opinion is not scientific evidence.

There have been many, many scientific articles that disprove your position.

One of the best sources is here:

https://ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/
  • JstTheWayIam
    Options
    https://youtu.be/0smauGspMm4
    Pay close attention for at least the first few minutes of the video...
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Stevia makes me sneeze and tired but its a member of the ragweed family so I figure that's why
    Sucralose puts me in a bad mood about 30 minutes after,dunno why
    Aspartame I can handle.surprisingly cuz it seems to get the worst press,we're all different in the way things effect us,I can't drink regular soda cuz I makes my stomach burn so I have diet coke as a here and there treat
  • JstTheWayIam
    edited April 2017
    Options
    To the original poster...

Learn to live without the sweeteners, you don't need them. They're just a crutch, soda and refined sugars are terrible for you whether artificial or not...

Do you really think companies like Coca-Cola give a damn about you... No they don't, diet soda is just a scam to take more of your money as cheaply as they can...