Artificial Sweeteners?

Options

Replies

• MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I use a half teaspoon of Truvia in each of my two coffees in the morning, it does the job of taking the edge of the plain coffee. A little FF milk and my coffee barely impacts my day. You'll have to make your own mind up about adding more artificial sweeteners in to your diet but they are already in so many things we consume you'd have to make a project out of it to get rid of them anyway.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Posters,

This thread has been reopened as we try to promote RESPECTFUL DEBATE. Please carry on in accordance with the MFP guidelines, specifically:

1. No Attacks or Insults and No Reciprocation

a) Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. You can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but you cannot attack the messenger. This includes attacks against the user’s spelling or command of written English, or belittling a user for posting a duplicate topic.

b) If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, you will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself or a friend is not an excuse! Do not take matters into your own hands – instead, use the Report Post link to report an attack and we will be happy to handle the situation for you.

Sincerely,
    4legs
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    Truvia is the absolute best tasting but it's pretty expensive. I use way too much of it lol
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Some artificial sweeteners are better in liquids, others bake better. Aspartame hands down is best for cold beverages.

I find that Stevia tingles very much like cinnamon so if I am using Stevia I'll often use cinnamon too.

Try a hot Chai tea with a little Stevia and cocoa.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    I like fake sugars. Try different things and eat the ones that taste good to you. Personally, I like Coke Zero, Diet Dr Pepper, and use stevia in my overnight oats and in some other things. Sometimes I'll just cut the sugar in half and replace half, to get a better flavour with less aftertastes.
  • JstTheWayIam
    JstTheWayIam Posts: 6,357 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Simply saying that everyone's got a financial stake does not suddenly mean that soda manufacturers do not have a financial stake in convincing people that artificial sweeteners are not harmful... In fact to the contrary, in only helps to backup my argument...

Also note that all the money Dr Greger makes from his book went to charity and he makes nothing on his website either...

You say that I refused to put up any sort of factual argument, while I present you with a YouTube video that definitely has factual information...

You then claim the data to be cherry picked (which your going to claim no matter what I present you with) and counter with absolutely nothing... Nothing at all...

Then please allow me to counter that non-factual, fearmongering YouTube video with a 93-page PDF summation of actual scientific studies regarding the safety of aspartame: http://seriecientifica.org/sites/default/files/scl_enc_butchko.pdf

In addition, a thread which was started by a biochemist, with evidence-based information included, was linked earlier in the thread: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308408/why-aspartame-isnt-scary/p1

You do realize that serie cientifica is sponsored by the Coca-Cola company right?

But if you want to take their word for it, be my guest...
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    OP I'm not really a fan of any of the artificial sweeteners in my coffee. I think Stevia is probably the best tasting, has a sort of caramel flavour. I just use half to a whole teaspoon of regular old sugar in my coffee which I find plenty sweet enough for me and not too calorific.

I will drink Diet Coke and other cold drinks though now and again.
  • flrancho
    flrancho Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I used to use Splenda. It was ok. Used Sugar In The Raw a few times too.

Anymore I use real sugar. I really just don't like the vibe from artificial sugars..... and I'm not just attacking artificial sugars here. I really don't like eating anything that's an artificial substitute, or made fat-free, pre-packaged, etc.

I always try to eat as "whole" as possible, using foods as close to their whole, natural state as possible. 80% of my diet is homemade from scratch - the rest is generally because I'm eating out or had to make financial sacrifices in the food department.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    flrancho wrote: »
    I used to use Splenda. It was ok. Used Sugar In The Raw a few times too.

Anymore I use real sugar. I really just don't like the vibe from artificial sugars..... and I'm not just attacking artificial sugars here. I really don't like eating anything that's an artificial substitute, or made fat-free, pre-packaged, etc.

I always try to eat as "whole" as possible, using foods as close to their whole, natural state as possible. 80% of my diet is homemade from scratch - the rest is generally because I'm eating out or had to make financial sacrifices in the food department.

I heard that. Maruchan ftw.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Truvia is the absolute best tasting but it's pretty expensive. I use way too much of it lol

If you have an Aldi available, they also sell a generic version of this for a lot less.

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I use sucralose in cooking if I'm not cooking with yeast. If I'm cooking with yeast, I do feed them sugar.