thoughts on foot cutoff after 7 PM?

Options
1235»

Replies

• Gee_24
    Gee_24 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    If anyone is still reading, there actually is a valid reason to restrict foods after a certain time.

A new study shows that the later someone stays up, the more calories they generally eat in a day. People make poorer food choices late at night. Staying up past 10 PM led to an average increase in calorie consumption of about 300 to 400 calories.

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/later-you-stay-more-you-eat-study-shows-6C10488450

The problem in some of your responses is to assume that the only factor here is "calories in, calories out." You have assumed that it doesn't matter what time of the day you consume calories. That in itself is correct. But there is a confounding factor you have not considered: people, on average, make poorer food choices late at night. They are more likely to eat comfort foods and more likely to eat more calories late at night than they actually need.

Very true. If I wake up hungry, all I want is a biscuit. So I try to remind myself " Your not hungry, your tired. "

This is what lead me to weight gain. Waking up at 3am and raiding the sweetie tin! So yes, poorer choices late at night I say!
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    If anyone is still reading, there actually is a valid reason to restrict foods after a certain time.

A new study shows that the later someone stays up, the more calories they generally eat in a day. People make poorer food choices late at night. Staying up past 10 PM led to an average increase in calorie consumption of about 300 to 400 calories.

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/later-you-stay-more-you-eat-study-shows-6C10488450

The problem in some of your responses is to assume that the only factor here is "calories in, calories out." You have assumed that it doesn't matter what time of the day you consume calories. That in itself is correct. But there is a confounding factor you have not considered: people, on average, make poorer food choices late at night. They are more likely to eat comfort foods and more likely to eat more calories late at night than they actually need.

Very true. If I wake up hungry, all I want is a biscuit. So I try to remind myself " Your not hungry, your tired. "

This is what lead me to weight gain. Waking up at 3am and raiding the sweetie tin! So yes, poorer choices late at night I say!

Then it isn't the time of the meal, is it, that's causing your weight gain. It's poor planning or poor food choices.

The point is, all other things being equal, meal timing has never been proven to matter. Wait, let me try again: all other things being equal, meal timing has never been proven to matter.
  • wannabhealthy50
    wannabhealthy50 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Please do not cut off any limbs at any time! Sorry, but you knew that was coming.

I try not to eat after 8p but that's also a long time for your body to go without nutrition, so often I will have a bowl of fruit or a protein shake to hold me over.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Only clicked on this because of the title, but by the time I get home from work, workout, walk the dogs, take a shower, I'm usually eating after 7. When I was dealing with acid reflux, I did have to eat several hours before bed, but that is no longer an issue for me.
  • wordpainter09
    wordpainter09 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    It's not the specific time per say, but I do a lot better if I leave a couple of hours between the time I go to bed and the time I last eat... yeah it sucks sometimes and I feel hungry.
    But I lose/maintain a lot better.
    Not for everyone I think, but it helps me.
    And congrats on your accidental hilarity! Love it. Guessing it made your topic more of a hit :)
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options

Correct. That's actually what someone already mentioned on one of the first pages. It's not really related to the timing of eating, it's more a psychological thing of stopping yourself from taking in more crappy foods. If someone's already calorie counting and watching their macros and doesn't change anything at all except timing, there will be no change whatsoever.

Also, the quick fixes never work. Sure you can lose a quick pound or so depending on where you decide to cut your foot off, but you'll just end up gaining it all back and then some when you don't exercise anymore. Slow and steady. :smile:
  • Mishinmite
    Mishinmite Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I didn't have my glasses on and didn't even notice the typo until I saw your post, lol. I always eat before bed. I usually do fat free turkey or peanuts and skim milk. It really seems to help me fall asleep. As long as you are still eating healthy and not going over your limit, I doubt that it matters.