Look 15 pounds lighter, in 2 easy steps: Eat and Lift

Options

Replies

• krisjohnson121
    krisjohnson121 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    You look great! I am really interested in starting to lift but unfortunately I do not have a gym buddy to help with spotting etc. Do you think you can get similar results from the machines?
  • Dre8604
    Dre8604 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I do not mind cardio but I have to be honest and admit that I don't do a lot of it. I sometimes bust out a Jillian video if I'm feeling it and I walk to the store once or twice a week, but most of my work is spent lifting heavy and doing body weight stuff to improve my flexibility and balance, which I do to help me with my lifting.

What are you referring to when you say body weight stuff?

And amazing job!!.. Congrats on your progress! :-)
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    You look great! I am really interested in starting to lift but unfortunately I do not have a gym buddy to help with spotting etc. Do you think you can get similar results from the machines?

You can certainly start with/use machines but the results won't be the same. You won't be using your stabilizing muscles or be able to do compound lifts/movements, which allow you to work more of your body at once. With compound movements I can get done in 30-60 minutes depending on how heavy my weights are and such. To work your who body with machines it'll take all day.

But don't be discouraged, I currently don't work with a gym buddy anymore (Haven't since the end of June). It's a little scary at first but as long as your careful and know your limits you'll be fine.
  • Achrya
    Options
    I do not mind cardio but I have to be honest and admit that I don't do a lot of it. I sometimes bust out a Jillian video if I'm feeling it and I walk to the store once or twice a week, but most of my work is spent lifting heavy and doing body weight stuff to improve my flexibility and balance, which I do to help me with my lifting.

What are you referring to when you say body weight stuff?

And amazing job!!.. Congrats on your progress! :-)

Body weight exercises are routines that don't use weights but instead use your own body weight. (Pushups for example) I find that it's helped me with my balance (which has always been dodgy) and flexibility as I've moved into progressively harder moves.

I'm using the Body by You book for my routine but other people speak highly of Be Your Own Gym (Book and App by the same guy who did Body by You) and Convict Conditioning (which I know nothing about.)

http://www.marklauren.com/ Link to the BYOG/BBY page
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Love these testimonies!!! Currently in the process of throwing my scale out the window lol. I've been lifting for awhile but just started Stronglifts on 7/1. Thanks for sharing! You look amazing! Big changes in your composition! WTG!
  • Achrya
    Options
    Love these testimonies!!! Currently in the process of throwing my scale out the window lol. I've been lifting for awhile but just started Stronglifts on 7/1. Thanks for sharing! You look amazing! Big changes in your composition! WTG!

Well thank you very much, and WTG to you, losing over 100 pounds! That's amazing.

Scales are often liars, so while I do use mine I don't stress out about it. It can't tell my anything my clothes don't already tell me. I hope you're enjoying, and continue to enjoy, Stronglifts. I'm in love with it right now, but I like things simple and to the point.
  • Achrya
    Options

You can certainly start with/use machines but the results won't be the same. You won't be using your stabilizing muscles or be able to do compound lifts/movements, which allow you to work more of your body at once. With compound movements I can get done in 30-60 minutes depending on how heavy my weights are and such. To work your who body with machines it'll take all day.

But don't be discouraged, I currently don't work with a gym buddy anymore (Haven't since the end of June). It's a little scary at first but as long as your careful and know your limits you'll be fine.

Follow up, for further info, as supplied by someone who knows more stuff about stuff than me
    The benefit is that no matter what their goal, they will get there faster and easier with free weights.

Compound free weight exercises are worth learning because they make reaching your goals much much easier
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    Whoodang I didn't see the pics till now. Nice work!!!!!!!!!!!
  • luckiedaniels
    Options
    Agree with the other comments - you look great! I'm not seeing the weight loss I'd hoped I would from 7 weeks of my calorie counting & cardio combo. Maybe resistance training is what's missing? Thanks for the inspiration!:)
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    This right here is what it's all about!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    10/10 thread. Would read again
  • mareeee1234
    mareeee1234 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    amazing!!!!!!! :) xxx
  • Achrya
    Options
    Agree with the other comments - you look great! I'm not seeing the weight loss I'd hoped I would from 7 weeks of my calorie counting & cardio combo. Maybe resistance training is what's missing? Thanks for the inspiration!:)

I would say give it a shot (I mean obviously that's what I would say.) But even without my bias you have to think: What do you have to lose? Some time? Losing weight takes time anyway, so might as well.

Count the calories, keep a reasonable deficit, lift the weights, give it a few months, and see what develops. If you don't like it then you know you don't like it and can move on knowing at least you tried it, and you'll lose weight anyway cause deficit. Literally no downside.
  • sadshah
    sadshah Posts: 3
    Options
    Can u plz tell ur weightlifting routine i wna do that i just have dumbells
  • Achrya
    Options
    Can u plz tell ur weightlifting routine i wna do that i just have dumbells

I'm doing Stronglifts 5x5 right now.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary

These sets are for your WORKWEIGHT (the weight you are lifting that day) and do not include warmup sets.

Workout A
    Barbell Squat 5x5
    Bench press 5x5
    Barbell Row 5x5 (The app and the PDF call them that but they are actually pendlay rows).

Workout B:
    Barbell Squat 5x5 (5 sets with 5 reps)
    Overhead press 5x5
    Deadlift 1x5 (1 set with 5 reps)

I do this 3 times a week, alternating workouts. These lifts do call for a barbell (I'm using your standard Olympic but I started with a light ones) but there are routines out there that use progressively heavy dumbbells. Something like this maybe:
    http://produmbbellworkouts.com/dumbbell-routines/5x5-heavy-weight-with-dumbbells/

That said you'll eventually run out of weight to add with dumbbells.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    in for the sending out positive lifting body images! And hot ones too!
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    You have the most amazing figure! wow!!!

You look fantastic!
  • fghtffyrDEMONS
    fghtffyrDEMONS Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    You look amazing - big butts and big thighs are awesome. :) I'm learning to be less self conscious about mine! Thanks for this post.
  • rahlpn
    rahlpn Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    This makes me hopeful! I started lifting about 2 1/2 weeks ago and eating 1550 cals per day as opposed to eating 1300 and doing cardio cardio cardio. I want to trim those inches and lose about 30-40 more lbs, I'm hoping I have the right combo and this post gives me proof that it may work for me too! Congrats, you look amazing!!
  • wateryphoenix
    wateryphoenix Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    gorgeous! <3 this =D
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!