Thoughts on eating all organic

Options

Replies

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I only buy organic if it's the only option or I just happen to like the product better.

I just realized - this usually happens because I'm looking for smaller fruits and veg. Apples of certain varieties that also fit the USDA's 'medium' standard or sweet potatoes that aren't the size of a baby's head. Those are worth it to me because I don't end up with as much spoilage. And in the case of the sweet potato, don't have to wait for hours for the damn thing to bake.
  • crazyycatlady1
    crazyycatlady1 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    I only buy organic if it's the only option or I just happen to like the product better.

I just realized - this usually happens because I'm looking for smaller fruits and veg. Apples of certain varieties that also fit the USDA's 'medium' standard or sweet potatoes that aren't the size of a baby's head. Those are worth it to me because I don't end up with as much spoilage. And in the case of the sweet potato, don't have to wait for hours for the damn thing to bake.

Slice it up into fries and it cooks a lot faster (around 20 minutes).
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    The lowering life expectancy for 40-64 y.o. white Americans is due to narcotic drug addiction, not anything in any food. When ADM (A giant American commodity agricultural firm) is the root cause of a human die-off, we'll have abundant early evidence of it.
  • BlueSkyShoal
    BlueSkyShoal Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I mostly eat organic food. Partly out of health concerns, partly because I think it's generally better for the wildlife that live on or near farmland.

Also a lot of the small farmers who show up at the farmers market grow organically, and I like supporting local business.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I don't purposely seek out organic, unless it's on sale for cheaper than the conventional option. I do like supporting local farmers though, so when possible I buy locally grown/raised (usually during the summer months).

This, and the farms I mostly buy from are organic, but I don't particularly care about organic on its own. Off-season, like now, I rarely buy organic produce.

Nothing to do with processed, obviously.
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,817 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Hey guys, sup? :smiley: I think you can grantee organic food than non organic specially in fruits and vegtables. Some farmers do inject the fruits with special type of hormons.

Say what?

lol. right?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    "organic" is just a ploy to get people to over pay for something that they don't need and provides zero additional benefit...
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I think it's more important to buy locally grown, than it is to buy organic. I grow as much of my own food as I can, and I raise chickens for eggs and meat. If I had more space I'd do more. As it is, I have to buy most of my produce, so buying it from local farms means that it hasn't lost all it's nutritional value being transported from South America. But I realize that I'm very fortunate to live in a place that grows most of the produce for the country.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I think its a magnificently effective marketing tool, to call something organic. Unless you have medically or ethical reasons to do so, I dont think its worth the money. You will never be able to absolutely quantify the benefits (or lack of) by eating one way or the other. For a lot of people, it simply represents a status thing, as organic stuff is often far pricier than the non organic.
  • BlueSkyShoal
    BlueSkyShoal Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I wanted to add that to me buying ethically grown / raised food is more important to me than buying organic. When I buy something, I support it. And there's a lot of crap going on in the food industry that I just don't want to support, even in a small way. A lot of the companies who care enough about ethics to get "certified sustainable palm oil" or whatnot also get organic ingredients anyway, though; so in a way buying organic food is often a side effect of my other choices, even in cases where it's not super important to me.
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Once you take off the label, it's mostly the same.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I've found that starting topics like this on MFP is roughly equivalent to throwing yourself onto hot coals, but I'd advise not to bother, for future reference. Just personal opinion.

I do try to eat organic foods when I can afford to. My first priority usually goes towards meat, dairy, and other animal products, which I usually try to buy locally first, and then will buy organically if local isn't an available or financially viable option. I do this mostly because organically-raised animals have slightlybetter standards of treatment. At the very least, they can't be given antibiotics while on the farm, so I imagine that conditions must be at least marginally more sanitary. Plus, it's not contributing to antibiotic resistance, which is a plus for me.

After that, I try to prioritize fruits and vegetables that have been studied to contain the highest amounts of pesticide residue. I worry more about things where I eat the peel (ex:apples & grapes) than I do things that I normally peel (oranges and pineapples).

Processed foods get prioritized last. If there's extra money for them, or if I really feel like having a treat, I sometimes treat myself to a box of organic cookies, or a tub of organic ice cream or something. Normally, though, there isn't any extra money left, and I just make similar products myself at home.