Thoughts on eating all organic

Options
I've noticed that I have been eating mostly organic foods.. including boxed food like cereals,oatmeals, and crackers. I was wondering what people thought about eating organic vs processed foods!

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    ccsernica wrote: »
    You're question is flawed. Organic and processed are not opposites. Processed food can also be organic, and food in its natural state can be non-organic.

In fact, if she's eating things like cold cereal and crackers, it's certainly processed.

Indeed, I read OP again and edited. cereal and crackers are absolutely processed.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I could never afford to eat all organic food. The closest i get is free range eggs (i refuse to buy cage eggs) and chicken.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    We buy organic fruit and vegies and groceries where available because we think they taste better, and our budget allows us too. (and there isn't a massive difference in the price where we buy the F&V... And the organic stuff seems to last longer)

But your question re organic vs processed is flawed as others have pointed out. Your boxed food, despite its organic label, is still processed. Sugar is still sugar, white bread/pasta is still white bread/pasta, for example.... It's not superior or healthier because of the organic tag.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    All I have to say is, I would rather put myself on a diet, not my wallet. I buy foods and varieties that taste best to me regardless of farming methods. I don't blatantly refuse organic foods if I feel something balances price and quality successfully, but I don't seek them out either outside of said preferences. There is little difference otherwise.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Organic fruit, veg, meat etc. is worth having, but things like pasta and crackers not as the processing removes any difference in taste and quality. The arguments are not the same in the UK as the US, as we do not permit the same heavy levels of antibiotics etc for meat animals, and just about all soya used in animal feed is GMO.
    Most of the arguments against organic are orchestrated by the big pesticide/GMO companies - many GMOs are developed to allow heavy applications of pesticides without killing the crop.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,066 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I don't see the point of buying or eating organic foods ... unless they happen to be the least expensive option and fit within my calorie goals.

And of course, boxed food like cereals, oatmeals, and crackers are processed.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I could never afford to eat all organic food. The closest i get is free range eggs (i refuse to buy cage eggs) and chicken.

Same. Most foods labeled organic are more expensive than non-organic.
  • FitJulian
    FitJulian Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    mazdauk wrote: »
    Actually this is based on my long service for Defra - the UK agriculture department - including 3 years in the department dealing with additives and "novel foods" (their title at the time). I have no objection to GMOs for beneficial purpose such as disease resistance, but not to allow the rest of the plant life to be blasted out of existence with expensive pesticides (from the same company) and the consequential detriment to insect life and ultimately the planet. If that is too complicated, watch "The Bee Movie" :)

or for a more interesting few hours read Frank Herberts "the Green Brain" (daft title but an interesting novel on the effects of trying to kill off all "insect pests" )
  • bienemajamfp
    bienemajamfp Posts: 32 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I eat a lot of USDA organic foods. But not because they are supposedly healthy. IMO they taste much better. Much more flavor and not loaded with added sugars.