What do you avoid?

Options

Replies

• spiffychick85
    spiffychick85 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I don't avoid any foods...but what I do is look for low calorie recipes with those food choices that I can cook for dinner....I seriously eat cheese EVERY single damn day and I've lost 9lbs off my 30lb goal...I love cheese :)
  • thebrit
    thebrit Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Peanuts and cashew nuts, I've tried allowing a few back into my life but they scream my name so loudly and I have issues being satisfied with just a few. Those and Hellman's mayo, I can eat it straight out of the jar and it's just too calorie dense and 1 tbsp just doesn't cut it for me so I'm better off avoiding it.
  • don9992
    don9992 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Breads and cheese. I also don't eat candy but sweets don't call me that much so that's not something I even think about.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I try to avoid injury's, I don't avoid any foods. I love all the food!
  • phubb3
    phubb3 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Pasta! OMG it's my favorite. Especially since I'm Italian and grew up having it every night. Once I got through the first week my cravings went away.
  • officials
    officials Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Usually empty calories, like crisps and processed snacks that don't fill me up.
    Unless I'm having some sort of craving that can't be fixed w/ an alternative, there's no point in wasting my calories
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Rotten food. Food I don't like the taste of.

I honestly don't avoid anything. MFP and it's community is what made me realise in 2013, that I didn't have to avoid anything to be successful. It was honestly a huge relief for me and is why today I have a BMI of 22.6 instead of 44.
  • menotyou56
    menotyou56 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    The poison called sugar.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    crb426 wrote: »
    crb426 wrote: »
    Anyone else getting a little tired of hearing "I eat everything I want and lose weight"? Yes, we get it. You only need to track calories to lose weight, but OP is asking a legitimate question that doesn't need holier-than-thou responses. And I know you want to tell me that there are no bad foods and you can fit anything into your goals, and I don't disagree... I'm just tired of it being stated over and over as a way to answer EVERY question. Might as well throw in the very helpful, but very repetitive flow chart.

ITT everyone (legitimately) answered the OP's question as it pertains to them though. "Nothing" is a valid answer.

The only way to avoid your tiredness with that stuff being a way to answer every question, would be to stick to questions that don't have that stuff as a valid answer. This question isn't one of them.
    But is it a valid answer? If you are really not avoiding anything... just seems unrealistic to me.

Don't forget, we're not all in the same phase of weight control, or using the same methods, plans and strategies. For a couple extreme examples, someone losing weight after a bulk using If it fits your macros (IIFYM) won't have the same answers as someone losing weight after bariatric surgery and working with 600 calories per day. Another example, my answer two years ago isn't necessarily the same as my answer now. I used to avoid some foods because I'd eat them all up, but now I eat and buy everything regularly.
  • samlovesthesnow
    samlovesthesnow Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Last time, I lost 50lbs and I completely avoided chocolate and beer. I gained 30lbs back, mostly by eating chocolate and drinking beer! This time I've learned my lesson. I'm within 10lbs of goal weight and have given up nothing!
  • cforsyth617
    cforsyth617 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    cinnamon buns, and eating candy at work, once I start its really stop.
  • JohnnyPenso
    JohnnyPenso Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Wasn't triggered by MFP but I avoid most packaged/processed food meals, white/brown/HFCS etc. sugar, factory meat and poultry/eggs, farm fish, white flour/rice etc.
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Sugar and carbs - I keep both as low as I can - but I eat a lot of protein, fat and fiber.
  • Asherix
    Asherix Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I really try to watch my sodium intake so I tend to avoid foods with a lot of it. Sometimes though when I'm really craving something like potato chips, I work it into that day. I also don't like to waste my calories on drinks so I stick to water and coffee with milk and no sugar.
  • LVNF04
    LVNF04 Posts: 2,607 Member
    Options
    I try to avoid foods that mentally I have no portion control over. Examples - fried foods, chips/corn nuts/chocolate, pizza. My stomach maybe full, but my brain shuts off and I eat till its gone. I was 270 before and could literally eat 40 pieces of fried chicken within 2-3 days. It's difficult because I want it, but I can't control it. So rather than eating one piece because its never enough I choose to stay away completely. Same thing with alcohol. No control and the calories pile up, then after that you're hungry, so double whammy.
  • CarolWhoDat
    CarolWhoDat Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Some things I avoid are peanut butter, mixed nuts, pasta, rice, cheese (though I do eat low fat cheese), chocolate and other desserts, tortillas, and chips (though I do eat low fat chips). I like huge portions of food, and if I had huge portions with that stuff, I'd gain weight!
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    menotyou56 wrote: »
    The poison called sugar.

:laugh:
  • fitin50s2
    fitin50s2 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I try to avoid sodium due to past blood pressure issues which have been eliminated from significantly reducing my sodium intake combined with exercise.

I don't "avoid" the foods I like otherwise, but I now have learned to deal with larger portion sizes that are sometimes in front of me.