How far do you drive to your gym?

Options

Replies

• IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    well if I use my work gym I walk down 4 flights of stairs :D

For my muay thai gym it's a 30 min walk from work and then I bus home, so the home journey is about 35 mins including walking home from bus at the best
  • ekgstar
    ekgstar Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I drive 20 min (13miles) to the gym. My friend goes there so it is worth it.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    brishaw18 wrote: »
    The next gym that is closest to me is about 25/30 min away... so I'm torn bc it's a far drive but not happy with the gyms by my house.

I either hike...in which case I drive 20-30 minutes depending on which mountains I want to go to...or I use the gym in my apartment. Before I lived here, I lived in a different, non-hiking city. There, I either belonged to a gym I could walk to or I quit the gym and ran in the park when I lived next to it.

Some people are very disciplined...but I know myself too well to believe I fall into that category. If I HAD to drive 25-30 minutes to go to the gym, I think I would not go nearly as often as I should. Unless you love the gym...but I never did. I love hiking, so don't mind driving to that at all. But I would never drive 30 minutes to go for a run or do strength training..even though I have been running regularly for a few years now.

My point is...be VERY sure you are willing to make that drive several times a week, otherwise you will be throwing your money away. Convenience is a big deal for some people (including me), and it is very easy to find excuses when you are tired or had a long day or have other things you want to do. A long drive could be the deciding factor on if you do or don't exercise.

But if you are super disciplined, ignore this and join the gym you like. You know your habits much better than anybody here.

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    40 minute drive after work most days, but the gym is less than a mile from home, which also means that weekend drive is extremely short both ways.

I used to live and work an hour from my gym. Loved that place, still miss it. I take certain classes so I join whichever gym offers them. My current work place has a gym but I've only ever peeked in.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Blessed to have able to walk from work--it's about 1/2 a mile. 5 miles from home. The yoga studio I go to is across the street from work as well.
  • DasItMan91
    DasItMan91 Posts: 5,753 Member
    Options
    15 minutes
  • Marcel182
    Marcel182 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Right now, 12 miles. I recently moved and the membership to my old gym runs out at the end of the month. After that, I'll make shorter trips.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I walk down four flights of stairs to get to the gym in the office where I work one day a week.
    Five minute walk to my second gym near where I normally work.
    Two mile cycle or drive to my main gym near home.
  • Madwife2009
    Madwife2009 Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I cycle three miles to my gym (or further if I want a longer cycle ride/feeling energetic)
  • rugratz2015
    rugratz2015 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I live about 30 miles from my gym. There are closer gyms but I would go past this every night on the way home from work so it was an incentive to go in, plus it has a pool, the others don't, or are too expensive. I was made redundant last year but still drive up most weekdays to get my workout done. I hillwalk at the weekends, which usually involves an hours drive as I live in one of the flattest parts of Ireland. If i'm serious about something I will find the time and motivation.
  • LVNF04
    LVNF04 Posts: 2,607 Member
    Options
    Not far, because I don't go to one. I do all my exercise at home or outside.
  • kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Within a 5 miles radius we have more than 5 gyms. The gym i go too only takes few mins, max 5mins driving there. Walk, 10mins. Some say, I just live around the corner. But hey that's how I roll :smile:
  • LazyButHealthy
    LazyButHealthy Posts: 257 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I live about 30 miles from my gym. There are closer gyms but I would go past this every night on the way home from work so it was an incentive to go in, plus it has a pool, the others don't, or are too expensive. I was made redundant last year but still drive up most weekdays to get my workout done. I hillwalk at the weekends, which usually involves an hours drive as I live in one of the flattest parts of Ireland. If i'm serious about something I will find the time and motivation.

HA where is that? westmeath or longford or somewhere?

I walk 30-35 mins each way to gym as I've only recently bothered to try to get a driving licence.

When going with boy, it's about 5 mins drive.

There are gyms much closer which I contemplated knowing I will be mostly walking, but as above they don't have pool, they are of varying quality, so for the slightly additional cost and time, it's well worth to go to this one where I have much greater choice and better quality.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    LVNF04 wrote: »
    Not far, because I don't go to one. I do all my exercise at home or outside.

I don't understand why people respond to a thread to state that they don't have the answer because it doesn't apply to them.
    Is it boredom? Is it loneliness? Is it superiority?

It's very strange.

I think it's about expanding your mind, thinking about unusual solutions. The OP is concerned about a shorter drive to the gym and among other choices, can also now (re)consider exercising at home for the shortest drive possible. Best to just ask for details and clarification if an answer seems odd to you. You don't know if the poster used to have a normal to long drive to the gym, and had some life changes where they could either stop exercising or do something else, and maybe this was their solution.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,029 Member
    Options
    I walk maybe 50 steps from my lounge room to my basement.

There is also another gym my husband and I go to now and then which is maybe 15 km away.

But mostly we walk or cycle or I climb stairs.
  • Rincewind_1965
    Rincewind_1965 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    brishaw18 wrote: »
    Curious how far you guys drive to your gym?

If I would actually drive to the gym I would have completely missed the point, wouldn't I?
    Running (direct way), riding my bike (not exactly the direct way) or, with lots of time, take a walk (direct way).

Gym is about 3 miles away from my home

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    About 6 miles round trip. If I had to go way out of my way to get to the gym, I'd never go. It needs to be convenient.
  • cessi0909
    cessi0909 Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Mine is 2.8 miles, just mapped it :)
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    My current gymis walking distance - it is one of the reasons why I chose it.
    In the past I lived bout 20km form my then gym. The gym was chosen when I drove almost past from work. I then changed jobs but still liked it enough to stay. Then I moved house and still stayed as I knew I'd move country not long afterward (and then I did give up that gym)