How far do you drive to your gym?

Options

Replies

• RunWinterGarden
    RunWinterGarden Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    The gym is 2 miles from my home, but it's about 30-45 minutes from work, I just stop there on my way home from work so that I don't give myself to get comfortable at home!
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    The gym is 2 miles from my home, but it's about 30-45 minutes from work, I just stop there on my way home from work so that I don't give myself to get comfortable at home!

This literally determines what time I leave work. I mean yeah, prior to setting the schedule, I had to figure out how best to get my hours in at work, but now that they've been set, I don't randomly leave work an hour or two early because I prefer to go straight to the gym, and get to the gym right before class starts.
  • brookielaw
    brookielaw Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    It's 23 miles from my house to the closest branch of my swimming gym (30 minutes in no/light traffic). My trainer is 40 miles (about an hour's drive) from my home. Both are totally worth it. There is a small box gym in the small town I live in but I really only use the gym to swim anyway.
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    25 minute drive from the gym I like, but it is right by work so perfect for before or after and I miss the traffic each way :)
    have a closer one I could go to on days off, but still usually make the 10min longer drive to go to my usual
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    35 min drive, closest one. I go to use the pool and do strength training at home.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    5 miles each way...

I used to "commute" to a gym that we really liked across town...it took us 20-30 minutes each way. Initially, we liked the place so much that we didn't mind, but it got old pretty quick...adding 40-60 minutes of just driving around to workout for an hour gets old.

• Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    5 miles.
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I go from work to the gym. Its about 6 miles.

If I were to go to the gym from home, it would be almost 12 miles.

Living in the country sucks sometimes.
  • brishaw18
    brishaw18 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the comments! I was curious to know what other members do to see if I was the only crazy one thinking about driving 25 minutes to a different gym :D The gyms in my town are very small and there for very packed during most hours that I am able to go. I have anxiety at the gym, and the way these gyms are set up I always feel like I'm being watched (which I know is not always the case) if anyone can relate? It leaves me unmotivated to go. The gym I'm looking at going to is very large and open and I also have someone willing to go to this gym with me which also helps with having anxiety about going.
    Thanks again for everyone's input ! :)
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I will drive pretty far to get to a group ride/hike/trail run though (but not the gym).
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    brishaw18 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the comments! I was curious to know what other members do to see if I was the only crazy one thinking about driving 25 minutes to a different gym :D The gyms in my town are very small and there for very packed during most hours that I am able to go. I have anxiety at the gym, and the way these gyms are set up I always feel like I'm being watched (which I know is not always the case) if anyone can relate? It leaves me unmotivated to go. The gym I'm looking at going to is very large and open and I also have someone willing to go to this gym with me which also helps with having anxiety about going.
    Thanks again for everyone's input ! :)

Having someone to work out with definitely makes the drive much more worth it.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I go to OrangeTheory in my town which is about 5 minutes from my house. The other gym I attend is LA Fitness - they have multiple locations I can go to but none are in my town. The 2 I visit regularly one is about 15 minutes away the other is about 25 minutes.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,429 Member
    Options
    I'm lucky I live .3 miles, takes me 3 minutes, the other one is about 2 miles
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    drive? I walk or ride my bike. its about 4 miles round trip.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Well, my gym is about 3 miles from my house but I drive straight from work during the week ... which is 14 miles. Worth it!

3.3 miles to my Y then 12 miles to the office. Gotta love a short commute. But not as short as when I lived in Lowell MA. I was 2.5 miles from the Y then a half mile back toward home to get to the office.
  • Mdpats
    Mdpats Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    1.5 miles, next door to where I work =)
  • amyteacake
    amyteacake Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    There's quite a few gyms near me. The one I usually go to only takes me about 15 minutes to walk to. The others are about a 5-10 minutes bus ride away.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I'm in luck... My work has a fabulous and stupidly underutilized gym. 4 barbells and 3 racks/cages and I don't remember ever having to share.... I also live less than a mile from work and my martial arts studio is half way in between.

My last gym was 3 miles away, but on the way to work.

You have to realistically think about how much you would ACTUALLY drive that. Is the annoyance of an extra 45 minutes of driving worth the "better" that that gym could be?
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I live in a large city and go to the gym around 5:00 AM so between the 2 locations I visit the most the drive is about 7 - 15 minutes.

I would drive out of my way for a gym that I liked to workout at for these reasons;
    Adding in the drive it would be more 'me' time.
    At some points, working out is the best use of our time.
    . . . at some point you may decide that you don't have that much time anymore but already having starting and needing that outlet you are more likely to visit those gyms that you didn't care for in the past (we grow to see things differently).

So, I vote go for it :)
  • jpoehls9025
    jpoehls9025 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    My gym is a nice 15 minute warmup jog from my house. I find this VERY convenient for forced warmup / cool downs.