Lunchtable for the nerdy (warning: only nerdy people allowed)

Replies

• itsallgood803
    itsallgood803 Posts: 133 Member
    I would love to think I'm a Griffindor....but lets me honest...I'd be Hufflepuff!

Does anyone else Love the Lord of the Rings movies but can't ever seem to read through the books?
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    edited April 2017
    I would love to think I'm a Griffindor....but lets me honest...I'd be Hufflepuff!

Does anyone else Love the Lord of the Rings movies but can't ever seem to read through the books?

Not to help hijack the HP discussion, but I've read through The Hobbit and the trilogy a couple of times, as a kid, as a teen, and as an adult. I read it all to my daughter when she was small, starting with The Hobbit when she was four. We went to the midnight showings of all three LOTR movies (her Mom fell asleep about 20 minutes into Fellowship...LOSER!!). We caught all of the Hobbit in the theaters.

On a few occasions, we marathon-ed the movies at home, once on one of the cable channels, all three LOTRs with 5 intermissions; again from a box set I bought; third time was also on cable, all three Hobbits on Saturday, and all three LOTRs on Sunday. The box set has seen further action here and there since.

I have attempted to learn the Old Norse language that actually used the FUTHARK runes, so I could read some of the old inscriptions that have been found. My daughter and I have used runes to write secret messages. We have carved pumpkins with runes for Halloween; I masqueraded as a Ring Wraith with my daughter when she went as Legolas and her girlfriend went as Arwen.

Yeah. I'm a junkie...

"...[some] believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check; but that is not what I have found. I have found it is the small things...everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keeps the darkness at bay...simple acts of kindness and love.”
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    lstrat115 wrote: »
    kace_kay wrote: »
    I have seen a couple of the Harry Potter movies, never read the books. I have seen most of the Star Wars movies and wasn't nearly as excited as everyone else seems to be. I think I am going to go sit with the skaters.

the 7th movie sucked so dont feel bad

giphy.gif

5>4>2>3>7>1>6

I am saving this somewhere for later review

Me, too. I know I disagree with it, but I will have to do some good thinking.

(This is a statement on the books, right, or the movies? Because there are 8 movies. I've never thought too hard on my feelings about the movies.)
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Episode 8 behind the scenes picture of Carrie Fisher

vv02ygpwtizm.jpg
  • JstTheWayIam
    JstTheWayIam Posts: 6,357 Member
    edited April 2017
    I always liked the radical Bellatrix I had pictured in my mind much more than the Helena portrayal...

But she still did well...

I blame the director and producer for the movies... The actors can only be blamed for so much... They really are just carrying out the vision of the director and producer

The trendy appearance of the movies just ruined them...

Plus in the books... Harry Potter is not the goody two shoes the movies turned him into
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    JeepHair77 wrote: »
    I have seen a couple of the Harry Potter movies, never read the books. I have seen most of the Star Wars movies and wasn't nearly as excited as everyone else seems to be. I think I am going to go sit with the skaters.

the 7th movie sucked so dont feel bad

giphy.gif

5>4>2>3>7>1>6

I am saving this somewhere for later review

Me, too. I know I disagree with it, but I will have to do some good thinking.

(This is a statement on the books, right, or the movies? Because there are 8 movies. I've never thought too hard on my feelings about the movies.)

my numbers were for the star wars movies not the HP books

Oh. Duh.
  • JstTheWayIam
    I always liked the radical Bellatrix I had pictured in my mind much more than the Helena portrayal...

I blame the director and producer for the movies... The actors can only be blamed for so much... They really are just carrying out the vision of the director and producer

Well, the vision of the movie studio anyways

Yeah true, the financial backers...
  • JstTheWayIam

Well, the vision of the movie studio anyways

Yeah true, the financial backers...

yeah, I like Blumhouse movies because he lets the writers and director do their vision. He gives them around 5 million but they get to produce the movie they want

I'll check into that, not familiar

But that's the problem with movies these days, there's just a lack of creative writing... I mean come on, the Angry Birds movie... Adam Sandler and that video game movie...

Is this really what we've come to?

I just didn't want to ruin movie af movie for my 5yr old, so I've learned to lower my standards and enjoy them...
  • j_bark
    j_bark Posts: 1,269 Member
    Nerd love is the best.
  • JstTheWayIam

The trendy appearance of the movies just ruined them...

Plus in the books... Harry Potter is not the goody two shoes the movies turned him into

Ehhhhh I kinda hated HBC as Bellatrix. Too obvious. And WTF were they doing casting Michael Gambon as Dumbledore? Such a horrible replacement after Richard Harris passed. :|

Yea the he sucked lol...

I always thought Bellatrix needed a pair of glasses with tape in the middle... I pictured a retro Berkeley radical

Not a Gothic emo chik

I also teared up when I read, "Here lies Dobby, a free Elf"