Lunchtable for the nerdy (warning: only nerdy people allowed)

Options

Replies

• cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    I could go:

Elevenses - 11 am.
    Lunch - 1 pm.
    Afternoon tea - 3pm.
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    That Star Trek gif grinded my pc to a halt
    dpwellman wrote: »
    That gif needs to be scaled down some

You people are so judgmental.

We're paid to be.
  • princess0lexi
    princess0lexi Posts: 3,938 Member
    Options
    can i join? i collect american girl free mag cards (does that count) lol
  • rogerlamar6
    rogerlamar6 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    An optimist sees a glass half full. A pessimist sees it half empty. An engineer sees it twice as large as it needs to be.
  • cee134
    edited April 2017
    Options
    An optimist sees a glass half full. A pessimist sees it half empty. An engineer sees it twice as large as it needs to be.

a nerd just downs it so nobody else gets it

Correct, a nerd is too busy internet fighting about which Captain is the best Enterprise Captain to look at the water.

Edit: It's Captain Jonathan Archer of course.
  • FeraFilia
    FeraFilia Posts: 4,664 Member
    Options
    Gimsteinn1 wrote: »
    giphy.gif

You people are too math-y for me...

I am decidedly not math-y.

But I married a man with an aerospace engineering degree... he'd be perfect for the nerdy table
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    Options
    That Star Trek gif grinded my pc to a halt
    dpwellman wrote: »
    That gif needs to be scaled down some

You people are so judgmental.

We're paid to be.

if you look closely you'll see those gold coins can actually be opened to reveal chocolate coins.

WTF?!?!?!?!?!
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    Options
    @cee134 wrote: »

a nerd just downs it so nobody else gets it

Correct, a nerd is too busy internet fighting about which Captain is the best Enterprise Captain to look at the water.

Edit: It's Captain Jonathan Archer of course.

Where does he rank in the Star Trek world? Best captain?
  • cee134
    edited April 2017
    Options
    FeraFilia wrote: »
    giphy.gif

But I married a man with an aerospace engineering degree... he'd be perfect for the nerdy table

Yeah, mine is a computer scientist who does math for fun (like who the hell does math for fun? What the kitten is wrong with some people?) but I forgive him and love him anyway ;) lol

Fun like this?

5 pirates of different ages have a treasure of 100 gold coins.

On their ship, they decide to split the coins using this scheme:

The oldest pirate proposes how to share the coins, and ALL pirates (including the oldest) vote for or against it.

If 50% or more of the pirates vote for it, then the coins will be shared that way. Otherwise, the pirate proposing the scheme will be thrown overboard, and the process is repeated with the pirates that remain.

As pirates tend to be a bloodthirsty bunch, if a pirate would get the same number of coins if he voted for or against a proposal, he will vote against so that the pirate who proposed the plan will be thrown overboard.

Assuming that all 5 pirates are intelligent, rational, greedy, and do not wish to die, (and are rather good at math for pirates) what will happen?
    The oldest pirate will propose a 98 : 0 : 1 : 0 : 1 split, in other words the oldest pirate gets 98 coins, the middle pirate gets 1 coin and the youngest gets 1 coin.

Let us name the pirates (from oldest to youngest): Alex, Billy, Colin, Duncan and Eddie.

Working backwards:

2 Pirates: Duncan splits the coins 100 : 0 (giving himself all the gold). His vote (50%) is enough to ensure the deal.

3 Pirates: Colin splits the coins 99 : 0 : 1. Eddie will accept this deal (getting just 1 coin), because he knows that if he rejects the deal there will be only two pirates left, and he gets nothing.

4 Pirates: Billy splits the coins 99 : 0 : 1 : 0. By the same reasoning as before, Duncan will support this deal. Billy would not waste a spare coin on Colin, because Colin knows that if he rejects the proposal, he will pocket 99 coins once Billy is thrown overboard. Billy would also not give a coin to Eddie, because Eddie knows that if he rejects the proposal, he will receive a coin from Colin in the next round anyway.

5 Pirates: Alex splits the coins 98 : 0 : 1 : 0 : 1. By offering a gold coin to Colin (who would otherwise get nothing) he is assured of a deal.

(Note: In the final deal Alex would not give a coin to Billy, who knows he can pocket 99 coins if he votes against Alex's proposal and Alex goes overboard. Likewise, Alex would not give a coin to Duncan, because Duncan knows that if he votes against the proposal, Alex will be voted overboard and Billy will propose to offer Duncan the same single coin as Alex. All else equal, Duncan would rather see Alex go overboard and collect his one coin from Billy.)
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    Some math is fun. Like doing the stuff on Numberphile or going over discrete structures and Bertrand Russell with the kids. . . or the other Bertrand (Meyer) with co-workers.
  • merrysailor88
    merrysailor88 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I was band nerd, nerdy. Can I has a seat here too?
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    FeraFilia wrote: »
    giphy.gif

Yeah, mine is a computer scientist who does math for fun (like who the hell does math for fun? What the kitten is wrong with some people?) but I forgive him and love him anyway ;) lol

Fun like this?

5 pirates of different ages have a treasure of 100 gold coins.

On their ship, they decide to split the coins using this scheme:

The oldest pirate proposes how to share the coins, and ALL pirates (including the oldest) vote for or against it.

If 50% or more of the pirates vote for it, then the coins will be shared that way. Otherwise, the pirate proposing the scheme will be thrown overboard, and the process is repeated with the pirates that remain.

As pirates tend to be a bloodthirsty bunch, if a pirate would get the same number of coins if he voted for or against a proposal, he will vote against so that the pirate who proposed the plan will be thrown overboard.

Assuming that all 5 pirates are intelligent, rational, greedy, and do not wish to die, (and are rather good at math for pirates) what will happen?
    The oldest pirate will propose a 98 : 0 : 1 : 0 : 1 split, in other words the oldest pirate gets 98 coins, the middle pirate gets 1 coin and the youngest gets 1 coin.

Let us name the pirates (from oldest to youngest): Alex, Billy, Colin, Duncan and Eddie.

Working backwards:

2 Pirates: Duncan splits the coins 100 : 0 (giving himself all the gold). His vote (50%) is enough to ensure the deal.

3 Pirates: Colin splits the coins 99 : 0 : 1. Eddie will accept this deal (getting just 1 coin), because he knows that if he rejects the deal there will be only two pirates left, and he gets nothing.

4 Pirates: Billy splits the coins 99 : 0 : 1 : 0. By the same reasoning as before, Duncan will support this deal. Billy would not waste a spare coin on Colin, because Colin knows that if he rejects the proposal, he will pocket 99 coins once Billy is thrown overboard. Billy would also not give a coin to Eddie, because Eddie knows that if he rejects the proposal, he will receive a coin from Colin in the next round anyway.

5 Pirates: Alex splits the coins 98 : 0 : 1 : 0 : 1. By offering a gold coin to Colin (who would otherwise get nothing) he is assured of a deal.

(Note: In the final deal Alex would not give a coin to Billy, who knows he can pocket 99 coins if he votes against Alex's proposal and Alex goes overboard. Likewise, Alex would not give a coin to Duncan, because Duncan knows that if he votes against the proposal, Alex will be voted overboard and Billy will propose to offer Duncan the same single coin as Alex. All else equal, Duncan would rather see Alex go overboard and collect his one coin from Billy.)

That was like an assault on my brain
  • JstTheWayIam
    JstTheWayIam Posts: 6,357 Member
    Options
    Any through the Wormhole fans?
    Or Ancient Aliens fans?
  • ShrinkingViolet1982
    ShrinkingViolet1982 Posts: 919 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I was band nerd, nerdy. Can I has a seat here too?

Your use of "has" assures you a seat, as long as you be sure to properly LOLCATbible reverse it in future. "I can haz a seat here too?"