I'm going Fitbit-less!

Options

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    @Tweaking_Time I so know what you mean! We used to time our walks on another app and used to get annoyed if something stopped us mid walk as it would ruin our pace time - madness or what eh lol
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    @fitin50s2 yeah I'm at 1 year and 4 months since stopped logging food :smile: still think in calories and know roughly my daily intake but it's lovely to not need to log :smile:
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    @cwolfman13 what other functions does the S Gear have? Just out of interest :smile:
  • Maddogpilot
    Maddogpilot Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Wasn't too impressed with FitBits' accuracy (HR, counting steps when I'm sitting, etc.) so I tossed it. No biggie on my workouts. Many months later I got a TomTom Spark 3 (because you can swim with it) found it to be a accurate tool worth wearing.
  • hellonew2015
    hellonew2015 Posts: 327 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I use the Charge 2 for Heart Rate monitoring during workouts and I like the sleep tracker. I wear it just during working out and when I want to track my sleep occasionally.
  • krushal8880
    krushal8880 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    For me, I need to have something to keep me in line. I'm over 50 and if I look at food I gain weight. lol I will be getting the scale soon because I'm 25 lbs from my goal and I WILL GET THERE. :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    @cwolfman13 what other functions does the S Gear have? Just out of interest :smile:

On the exercise front, it will track 6 different kinds of exercises default, including cycling which is nice because that is my primary cardio...it also just tracks general activity, including elevation...and it'll also track changes in atmospheric pressure which could be a good indicator of impending bad weather when I'm cycling in the mountains and can't see it coming...

But beyond that, it can do everything my phone can do. I can take or make calls with the watch and check messages which is nice for when I'm out on my bike and my wife wonders where I am but don't want to stop to physically answer my phone...plus it's kinda dorky Knight Rider cool. I can download and access whatever apps, do online searches, etc.

You can also synch it with a Bluetooth head set and listen to music...it has it's own internal memory, so you can take your music with you without the phone. It also supports magnetic secure transmission and near field communication payment technologies.

I don't know if I'll get one or not, but it's the first wearable like that that I've taken any interest in...and personally, I think all of the big tech companies coming out with smart watches will ultimately be the demise of fitbit...they're stock really tanked last year and they're hurting.
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Totally enjoy the freedom!!! When mine stopped working I debated replacing it for months and months and now its been almost 2 years and I love not having that thing on my wrist! I've also given up wearing a watch!!! I do wear my I-phone when running and sometimes my Garmin and HRM strap but I only let the phone give me feedback at the end of each mile or the end of the run!!! My step count hasn't changed all that much since I gave up the gizmo. Aren't husbands always right? (Unless their wives have another opinion!) BTW my other half has given her fitbit up as well and doesn't have any complaints.....
  • billspit
    billspit Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I went Fit less 3 months ago and finally reaching my 2/lb a week weight lost goal. Two reach 2 pounds a week, I have to do a lot of exercise that Fit-bit doesn't properly record like the Stairs-climber Treadmill, Spinning Classes , Elliptical Machines and Circuit Weight Training. When I had my Fit Bit on I did a lot of walking on the Treadmill and avoiding the ones that burn fat more efficiently since I was fixed on getting my steps in.

Fit-bit also encouraged me to get up and raid the fridge more often. Steps went up but so did my Calorie consumption.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    WOW! @RunRutheeRun... since you and I have always had similar stats, activity level, and TDEE estimates in these threads, I'm interested to see how this plays out for you!

I'm still wearing my FitBit Charge HR but if you find this works well, and feel liberated by it, then I may consider following suit. I'm about 1.5 years into maintenance and still logging/tracking with FitBit, but I don't feel burdened by it. It would be a good test for me to see if I'm able to keep consistent without that safety net though.
  • STLBADGIRL
    STLBADGIRL Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    I'm not ready to even think about this right now. I need my Fitbit. We are buddies. One day I hope to feel like you do.
  • hhfromga
    hhfromga Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I ditched my FitBit for an Apple Watch last year. I was obsessed with the FB, and nearly went nuts once I got the Apple Watch because it wasn't as easy to just glance down and see steps. As time went on, I found myself relying less and less on it, and now it's something I rarely look at. I do have movement/calorie/activity goals set on my AW, but I only glance at those occasionally.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    @WinoGelato how come you and I haven't become mfp friends yet
  • billspit
    billspit Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato, Try taking it off for a week, and keep a journal of what you like and dislike going fit less. Examine your inner feelings.
    Than put it back on for a week and also keep journal notes. After analyzing the data you can ask yourself is, there a benefit?. I found I was being a slave to what seem like a good idea to keep me motivated.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    Oh shoot i forgot if I used emoji it deletes all text after it!! Doh

I'll keep this thread updated by how it goes :smile:
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    @WinoGelato how come you and I haven't become mfp friends yet

Sorry I lost the rest of my text! That seemed abrupt.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I love fitness data! I have a Garmin Fenix 3 HR, which generates data on me almost 24 hours a day, including my HR, steps, calories burned, sleep duration, and miles. I don't consider it a burden at all, I actually like that I am building a historical record of my activity, and combining that with the scale and my MFP nutrition tracking, providing me with a complete picture of everything affecting my wellness, and allowing me to react and tweak my fitness regiment accordingly.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    noor_v wrote: »
    I have a Fitbit Charge HR and I've been wearing it for almost 2 years now. I wear it only because it's the easiest way to track activity needed for the insurance discount from my company. I HATE WEARING IT and I wish I didn't have to. It's annoying to say the least.

That's awesome that you earn an insurance discount for wearing your fitbit!