I'm going Fitbit-less!

Options

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    fitin50s2 wrote: »
    Thanks @lorrpb I always monitor my weight regularly anyway so I'll know the score if it looks like my weight is trending upwards. I feel some relief that I've made the decision to forego wearing it. I no longer log food which I found liberating and this last crutch would let me see that I can go it alone solely and maintain. I'm active by nature anyway so it'll be good to focus on other non step related exercise :smile:

Interesting.. I no longer log food either. Haven't in over a year actually.

I haven't logged food for 2 1/2 years and lost 125 after stopping. But I love my fitbit!
  • fitin50s2
    fitin50s2 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    I haven't logged food for 2 1/2 years and lost 125 after stopping. But I love my fitbit!

That's awesome.. Congrats!!!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Congrats Ruth <3
    You will love the freedom.
    There is a good chance you will get in even more varied movement than before and you will ease up on the stress your lower body gets from so much repetitive movement.
    Maybe you and hubby can take up going to the pool or doing a yoga class together instead of your walks.

I do occasionally look at the auto tracked steps that transfer to my MFP diary, which I also only occasionally go to, and am always amazed that my idle, lower cal burn, days can have 13000+ steps (into town shopping & wine) and my totally exhaustingly active days, higher cal burn, have steps in the 3000 range (a couple of hours at the gym & gardening).

I know you know this is coming from someone who never took to a tracker (for the reason above), has seldom logged in 7 years, weighs herself infrequently, yet still maintains.

Cheers, h.
  • AmandaDanceMore
    AmandaDanceMore Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I stopped wearing mine several months ago when it malfunctioned and haven't missed it. I didn't find it changed my habits all that much, it just had the added "bonus" of making me feeling guilty if I had a lazy day or a busy day that didn't give me an opportunity to get steps in. I find I'm either going to get tons of steps in or not- there's little in between.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    i wonder if the fitbit is on its way to becoming the new scale for a lot of people. as in 'ditch the'.

i don't really have a dog in the fight since i've never had one, but this thread's a little validating because appearances sure give the impression that everyone and their dog's on the big fitbit grid and life takes place there.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    @cwolfman13 what other functions does the S Gear have? Just out of interest :smile:

On the exercise front, it will track 6 different kinds of exercises default, including cycling which is nice because that is my primary cardio...it also just tracks general activity, including elevation...and it'll also track changes in atmospheric pressure which could be a good indicator of impending bad weather when I'm cycling in the mountains and can't see it coming...

But beyond that, it can do everything my phone can do. I can take or make calls with the watch and check messages which is nice for when I'm out on my bike and my wife wonders where I am but don't want to stop to physically answer my phone...plus it's kinda dorky Knight Rider cool. I can download and access whatever apps, do online searches, etc.

You can also synch it with a Bluetooth head set and listen to music...it has it's own internal memory, so you can take your music with you without the phone. It also supports magnetic secure transmission and near field communication payment technologies.

I don't know if I'll get one or not, but it's the first wearable like that that I've taken any interest in...and personally, I think all of the big tech companies coming out with smart watches will ultimately be the demise of fitbit...they're stock really tanked last year and they're hurting.

Thanks for your info and feedback on the Samsung Gear. It definately does more than I would need it for but I can see how some people would really enjoy having such a high tech 'watch'. :smile:
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    Congrats Ruth <3
    You will love the freedom.
    There is a good chance you will get in even more varied movement than before and you will ease up on the stress your lower body gets from so much repetitive movement.
    Maybe you and hubby can take up going to the pool or doing a yoga class together instead of your walks.

I do occasionally look at the auto tracked steps that transfer to my MFP diary, which I also only occasionally go to, and am always amazed that my idle, lower cal burn, days can have 13000+ steps (into town shopping & wine) and my totally exhaustingly active days, higher cal burn, have steps in the 3000 range (a couple of hours at the gym & gardening).

I know you know this is coming from someone who never took to a tracker (for the reason above), has seldom logged in 7 years, weighs herself infrequently, yet still maintains.

Cheers, h.

I knew you would be high five-ing my decision @middlehaitch :smiley::smiley:
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    The remarks here have let me know that I made the right decision.

I have been considering some type of Fitbit for the last two years. I wear a pedometer but considered upgrading so that I could sync to MFP. I came to the decision that I just didn't want to be wired up. Instead I just up my calories based on how active I have been during the day. So far it has worked for me.

I am a little old school though...while I track calories and use the recipe builder on MFP...I keep my weight trends on a spread sheet. I tried the trending apps and found they were not as pleasurable for me as creating my own.

• ChelzFit
    ChelzFit Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I stopped wearing my Charge 2 during my workouts because I do a lot of circuit training, spinning, elliptical, etc. and it never registered my workouts right. I do continue to wear it throughout the day. I have always thought I was really active because I was always hitting 10,000 steps or more when it included my workouts. When I stopped wearing it during my workouts I was surprised I only hit about 6,000 steps a day. So now I am using it as a motivator to get to 8,000-10,000 steps a day not including my exercise. I myself have wondered over the past few weeks if it is becoming obsessive with me though. I am always thinking of more ways to get more steps in so I can reach my goal.
  • menotyou56
    menotyou56 Posts: 178 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I have a fitbit one which is long forgotten in a plastic bag around here someplace. The most important thing to track is diet and MFP does that just fine. If I'm cramming in 3000 cals a day, 10000 steps won't do a thing for me IMO, LOL
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Can.I.have.your? I always wanted to try one!! ;)
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I honestly think that if you feel like fitness wearable technology is a problem then 1) you aren't using it correctly / effectively and/or 2) you aren't approaching the use of it with the right mindset. A Fitbit is just providing you with data, your attitude toward and interpretation of that data is what will determine if it is useful to you.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I am gadget obsessed. I always want the newest gadget to come out. I wore my Fitbit for 3 years. Took it off to go on vacation in 2015 and haven't put it back on since. In the 3 years I wore it I didn't lose weight and even gained weight, which proved to me that the calorie tracker on the Fitbit wasn't accurate. I haven't missed it at all since ditching it.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    @Sharon_C I do like hearing such positive reports :smile: I will be hoping to say the same thing :smile:
  • steph2strong
    steph2strong Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Reading this update made me very happy! Congratulations. That is the exact same experience I had with the fitbit.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking about removing step count from my watch. It's one more thing to scroll through when I'm trying to see something important.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I have periods where I use and don't use mine. I really get competitive when I'm wearing it (with myself and others lol) and find when I don't wear it I slack off a lot more. The winter in Canada makes it hard to get as many steps as I do in the spring-fall so I tend to leave it uncharged and on my nightstand LOL
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,142 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Excellent job Ruth, I told you that you could trust yourself!

I am not interested in gadgets either (heck, half of the time I don't even know where my cell phone is), and as other people mentioned my kind of physical activity will not be registered by the Fitbit, so I never wanted or needed one. Besides, I use MPF website not the app so synchronization would be a problem.

I think that when we count and depend on modern gadgets too much we forget to use our own personal wits and resources. Like using a calculator instead of our heads while balancing the check book or doing simple math. Riding the elevator instead of taking the stairs just for a couple of floors, or driving for a block instead of walking (except when you live in So. CA where everything is miles away :s ). On the other hand, if the new gadgets help people to achieve their fitness goal, they should go for it.

• LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    Thanks @Gisel2015 I wasn't confident I could manage but I was hopeful :smile:
    Its a good feeling to know I can go it alone.