Evil Dairy?

Options

Replies

• Wolfger
    Wolfger Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    WTF would he compare us to animals?

Uh... because we ARE animals!

But back to the topic at hand: no reason to shun milk. I do tend to avoid it as it can pack in calories (I'm looking at you, cheese), but in the morning I'll be having overnight oats made with milk, and my pizza when I can get it has cheese on it. Doesn't really matter where your calories come from, just count 'em (and make sure you get adequate nutrition).
  • Dynamis600
    Dynamis600 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Can't see that Dairy is inherently evil, it's never accosted me when I open the fridge door. Personally I don't have it because I feel better without it, however I love cheese, really love cheese, did I say I love cheese, just really disappointed my body doesn't like it. If you are worried about dairy go without it for a couple of weeks and then reintroduce it and see how you feel. It gives me itchy eyes, headaches and upset stomach, I so miss cheese. :/
  • Leah_62803
    Leah_62803 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I'm in several breastfeeding groups and there are lots of anti dairy moms. I think for them it comes from constantly being told that they NEED to give their babies cow milk instead of their own milk. So it becomes something that they feel they need to rebel against.
    I do believe that there is no reason to give breastfed babies cow milk since they are already getting milk that is perfectly tailored to them... My 17 month old refuses cow milk and my pediatrician is fine with that since he still nurses like a newborn.

But I don't have anything against cow milk or dairy. My older kids love it and have it all the time. Cheese is my dieting downfall though so it might be evil.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    newtnest wrote: »
    I'm just looking for some insight. I've heard many people say that a person should cut out dairy. If it is organic, high quality and consumed in moderation, what is the problem? Why is it branded as "evil" lol

Anecdotally, I feel healthier when not consuming dairy. I don't need science to tell me it's evil. I just know my body functions better without it as part of my daily diet. Dairy, at least for me, is a sometimes food.

I'm not lactose intolerant that I know of, I used to eat a LOT of dairy, cottage cheese was a diet staple of mine for a while. But over time I have found that my bowels work better, my breath smells better, my skin is clearer, and I over all feel better, without dairy.

Also, I am in the camp that believes "organic" does not make a difference. I look forward to the future of GMO and the good it will do for mankind.
  • MaddMaestro
    MaddMaestro Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Eh, I can't digest dairy well, but I would not call it evil. I still consume it, just not often. It's a good source of protein.
  • ElizabethHanrahan
    ElizabethHanrahan Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Unless you have an intolerance or allergy, there is nothing "evil" about dairy. For ME, It is evil since I don't breath if I have it. But I don't mind anyone else eating or drinking it. I do wish it wasn't used as an additive is SOOOOOO many things though, makes shopping for food very hard and expensive for me and my family.
  • nicolepburgess91
    nicolepburgess91 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Well cutting out dairy was easy for me because over the year I've developed a lactose intolerance. I refuse to put out the cash for almond milk and I hate silk and all that other junk. I can't say it's made me lose any extra weight though.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I consider dairy the perfect food. It often has nice equal, or near equal, amounts of protein and carbs and the fat can be very satiating. Unfortunately, I can't have it due to a strong whey allergy and lighter casein allergy. Which really really stinks IMHO.

By way of FYI - those that say "dairy doesn't like them" or dairy gives them "xyz" symptoms, that IS a dairy allergy. If dairy produces any sort of negative physical symptom one has an allergy to it. Nonetheless, I still consider it the perfect food and hate not having it. Like one other poster said, it's in everything and alternatives are expensive.
  • amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,868 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Well the dairy industry can be horrific in terms of how the cows are treated. Raping cows so they produce milk..yeah that's evil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcN7SGGoCNI

Some will call that video "propaganda" others will call it reality, people don't like it when they are confronted with the truth, and something that challenges their way of living. I'm sure not all dairy farms are like this but for mass production and to cope with supply and demand and keep prices low... a lot, if not the majority are. I'm more concerned about the environmental concerns associated with dairy and livestock. The world would be a better place without out it.
  • newtnest
    newtnest Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Wow, great responses! It's my first community post, so thanks for participating!! I love how most of you ran with the "evil" descriptor
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Wolfger wrote: »
    WTF would he compare us to animals?

Uh... because we ARE animals!

I beg to differ. Humans are one of a kind.