Evil Dairy?

Options
I'm just looking for some insight. I've heard many people say that a person should cut out dairy. If it is organic, high quality and consumed in moderation, what is the problem? Why is it branded as "evil" lol

Replies

• inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I've heard similar. When I was breastfeeding my colicky son I had to cut it out and it helped him a lot. He grew to have an allergy/sensitivity to dairy so it made sense that it helped HIM but I noticed absolutely no difference in myself when I had to cut it out to help with the colic. Also it was one of the most miserable things to have to cut out; it's in everything! If you don't have an allergy, enjoy your dairy!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,419 Member
    Options
    My Northern European ancestors have been consuming dairy foods for centuries . . . maybe millennia: Plenty of time for evolutionary adaptation. As an ovo-lacto vegetarian, I eat/drink a lot of dairy, and see no down side. Others of different ancestry, taste, or ways of eating may differ.

(Because of estrogen-receptor-positive breast cancer in my history, I do prefer organic or non-hormone-supplemented dairy to be conservative, but I'm not slavish to that, am not religiously certain it's vital, and wouldn't hector others about it.)

For sure dairy consumption hasn't negatively affected my ability to lose weight, since I'm now firmly at a healthy BMI, at 2/3 of my former body weight.

Bottom line: Your n =1 is your n = 1. Experiment, and see what's most tasty, satiating, and nutritious for youj. Trust your conclusions.
  • TheRambler
    TheRambler Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    You will hear vegans claim that it has growth hormones and it's only meant for mothers milk up to a certain age. No other animal drinks another animals milk. Blah blah
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Are you lactose intolerant?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    The only people I've really heard say to cut out dairy are vegans...and vegan propaganda sites often describe it as evil.

Mostly this.

I see nothing wrong with it.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I love dairy and since starting my weight loss switched from low fat to full fat versions because full fat tastes better to me.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I don't know about "many people". The op is the second person I heard mentioning dairy being evil.

The first person was my ex-coworker, who also argued what someone said here ....No other animal drinks another animals milk. It's an abomination. I didn't argue with him, but later when I was driving home I thought... WTF would he compare us to animals?
  • Ck103084
    Ck103084 Posts: 139 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Dairy has tryptophan in it which is good for mood swings and may help you sleep. :)
    I drink dairy pure because it doesn't have growth hormones or antibiotics but to each their own. :)

http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/benefits-l-tryptophan-6668.html
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    TheRambler wrote: »
    You will hear vegans claim that it has growth hormones and it's only meant for mothers milk up to a certain age. No other animal drinks another animals milk. Blah blah

Ugh, yeah - That claim always annoys me so much. a) many animals will drink another animal's milk if the opportunity arises, and b) There is not a single other animal on Earth who does even a fraction of a percentage point of what humans do to food before eating it, so it's just a bloody stupid statement in the first place,

Yeah. It's not uncommon to see an adult guinea pig nursing off another if the nursing momma lets them.