Have you ever been insulted about your weight loss?

Options

Replies

• dbrightwell1270
    dbrightwell1270 Posts: 1,732 Member
    Options
    I've never been insulted. Twice, I've had people ask about my health though. One was my best friend. He lives in LA and we met up in Vegas. He said I looked so much different than I used to look that he was worried about whether I was healthy. It wasn't snotty or beligerent or anything. I'd lost 90 pounds between then and the last time I saw him. The other time was the head of the Division in which I work. His secretary is our time keeper. A few hours after I sent a schedule change to her regarding a doctor's appointment, he commented on all the weight I had lost and asked if I was doing okay health-wise. I think it was because he knew I had a doctor's appt more tha he thought I was sickly looking.
  • mrshoneydew
    mrshoneydew Posts: 253
    Options
    When my mom told me not to get rid of my "fat pants" in case I needed them again. I know she didn't mean it in a bad way....but still :ohwell:

This reminds me of last week. My family is going through a major crisis and I tried to cheer my mom up and bought a package of chocolate chip cookies. I brought them to her and she said she was too sad to eat them. So I'm like "Ok, I will eat one and save the rest for you if you want them".
    Then she says "Megan....don't let what we are going through right now ruin your diet. You've worked so hard and I know how you can get when you are depressed."

Uhhh....thanks, mom. My sister and I were kind of like "wtf?". :indifferent:
  • klp1017
    klp1017 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    "Have you lost more weight? Your boobs are smaller."

Thank you.
  • rachel4304
    rachel4304 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    After dinner on Saturday, I got up to use the restroom. My sister asked me if I was going to go throw up my dinner. Of course, she now affectionately refers to me as "skinny b*tch."
  • TheatreLover23
    Options
    some that tick me off the most are

People say "oh It is easy for you because you can dedicate all your time to working out and eating healthy since you don't have a husband or kids". To them I say, no sorry. I have struggled for 25 years and this was the first time out of many where I put myself first and was determined to make it happen. I stopped making excuses and learned about food, portions, exercising and acted and stayed the course even if I failed I never gave up. This time it clicked for me instead of wishing for results I earned them with time. I hate the down play of my hard work because everyone has a life with obstacles just some measure a hard life differently.

People say "you look weak and sick". My response you are just used to the old me.
    People say "you will gain it all back once you get a man". No, this is my new normal lifestyle and it is not going anywhere.

People say " stop losing because you are losing your womanly figure" I will stop losing when I am happy and content with my body.

Wow. How ridiculous. Good for you for keeping up with your workouts. People like that piss me off!
  • TheatreLover23
    Options
    After dinner on Saturday, I got up to use the restroom. My sister asked me if I was going to go throw up my dinner. Of course, she now affectionately refers to me as "skinny b*tch."

Wow. That's messed up.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Can't say I have been insulted over weight loss. My brother always insists I've gained weight, whether its true or not. I just reply he's lost more brains (smoking, drinking, etc), so we're even :tongue:
  • kilverstone
    kilverstone Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Several years ago I successfully lost about 20lbs and my mother told me that I was shrinking away (I was 142lbs at the time). I doubt she'd think that now given the creep of those 20lbs and then some back on my 5'3" frame. At this point I'm rocking 168lb with a ways to go toward my goal but honestly my size 12 pants tell a different story and even when I lose 5 pounds, there's a difference. I don't usually take offense at what people say, I think it really stems from jealousy, envy and sometimes lack of a good filter between brain and mouth (ie. my mother). However there are those who are simply bitter because they don't want to put in the hard work it takes to be healthy and fit. It's not about an instant gratification it's about hard work and commitment. I usually just respond to any comments with a thank you and have a nice day (with a bit of sarcasm perhaps). If I do find the person is out of line with a comment though I will turn it around and invite them along on my next walk at lunch hour, to go for a run at the weekend or invite them to a class. No sense in wasting the opportunity to share fitness. :D
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    'don't offer her one, she can't ruin her diet'

errrrrrm i'm not dieting.

'oh you've lost weight? how much more do you think you should lose?'

f*cking congratulate me on progress so far!

' oh well it's easy for you, you have lots of time'

I'm a teacher, coach and spend a weekend a month at least helping Mum out because Dad has cancer.....

' it worked for you but it's a weird thing that won't work for anyone else and you won't keep the weight off anyway'

thanks for sharing :S
  • JDHINAZ
    JDHINAZ Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I had a very good (female) friend that refused to acknowledge that I was losing weight.... When EVERYONE was shocked (I lost it fast, 40+ lbs in 5 months. Until I had dropped 4 pants sizes and gone from an XL shirt to a medium. At which time, the first time she ever acknowledged it was to say "you're too skinny".... Sometime ya just can't win.... And, I'm still pretty far from anything I'd call skinny
    I have that same friend, although she never acknowledges it at any point. She recently lost weight, looks great, and I be sure to tell her that whenever I see her. If I mention the weight I've lost, she quite literally goes mute. It's as if I hadn't even spoken. So weird...
  • BigDnSW
    BigDnSW Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    No. I have a great family and awesome friends.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I had someone tell me (while lifting, no less) that "It's easy for you skinny people to lose weight". Needless to say, since at that point I was three weeks into a plateau I did not agree.

For one thing, when I started I was 1 lb away from being clinically overweight and my %BF was in the mid 30%s, so I was not skinny. Skinny compared to her? Yes. But, I still am not skinny and don't want to be skinny! I do want to get in a better range of %BF, though.

And, it's easier for people who have more to lose to lose at a faster rate which is what she meant by losing 'easier'. <- This doesn't make the total weight loss easier, of course, they've got farther to go.

I do understand her frustration, though. She's obese and already lost 100 lbs and still didn't get within 50 lbs of her goal weight before putting probably 30 lbs back on. She thinks she needs to cut all white flour and sugar and rice from her diet and hasn't been able to stick to it. Hell, I couldn't either. If I were her I wouldn't want to hear the PT praising anyone's weight loss success either.
  • Katey12891
    Katey12891 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    This might sound egotistical, but I haven't seen a lot of my friends in a while because they all moved away to study in other towns, and I really feel annoyed when I see them again and they don't even comment on my new appearance. I've lost a lot of weight so it's not like it isn't noticeable. And then one friend asked me if I had my tummy cut off! Don't know whether that's good or bad lol.
  • Katey12891
    Katey12891 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    'don't offer her one, she can't ruin her diet'

errrrrrm i'm not dieting.

'oh you've lost weight? how much more do you think you should lose?'

f*cking congratulate me on progress so far!

' oh well it's easy for you, you have lots of time'

I'm a teacher, coach and spend a weekend a month at least helping Mum out because Dad has cancer.....

' it worked for you but it's a weird thing that won't work for anyone else and you won't keep the weight off anyway'

thanks for sharing :S

Oh my god my partners grandma is like that! Brings out a plate of biscuits/cake and offers everyone else one but not me! other times she has said that too, oh Katey wont eat that because she's healthy. Hey, I like biscuits as much as the next person!
  • lovelaughrun
    lovelaughrun Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    People have told me I looked better chubby. I also get warned not to get too skinny (not possible with my body shape and chocolate addicition :tongue: ) People at work make fun of the healthy food I eat and all the exercise I do, telling me I'm a little too obsessed with it all. Or they'll pick on a part of my body and say "your thighs need a little more work" or the other way and "your face looked better before when it was fuller". I am not skin and bones.

Honestly, these comments come from people that mostly are overweight. I think it's jealousy and I ignore them. I am proud of myself and how fit I now am and how I look after my body and the little abs I see in the morning pre food :happy:

"Obsessed is what the lazy call the dedicated"
  • Troublemonster
    Troublemonster Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Been told that I was "crackhead skinny" by my coworkers, although jokingly
    My best friend's mother, whom I have known for 27 years told me I was "skinny"

I am back up 7 pounds since hitting my low at 198 and have been slowly building muscle since. The last thing I want to be is "skinny"
  • keenslk
    keenslk Posts: 126
    Options
    I run 3 times a week and a few months ago I ran a half marathon ... when I was preparing for my race I trained at the most 5 days per week for an hour and a half tops somedays only 30 mins and I stopped drinking alcohol...
    Anyway I got and still get sooooooo sick and tired of my friends saying "OMG you are so obsessive"... "Jeez why do you run so much" ... they are always constantly joking about my running hobby and forever reminding me i dont need to run so much and I'm way too hard out... it really bugs me especially when I heard from another friend that they were gossiping behind my back about my so called 'obsession'... I merely had a goal and I achieved it... now I do three 8km runs per week as I love it and it means i can eat more... :D
    I put it down to jealousy - as we are almost 30 - most of them smoke, never exercise and party way too much... meh haters gonna hate :tongue:
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    "You lost too much weight, you look drawn in the face,"

I understand, but it's not over-thinness, may I only get back there agin. My face is very narrow; even when I'm quite obese, it doesn't show quite as much as it should because my face doesn't show it...and it's always the first place where weight comes off. I'm 5'5" and was 135 at the time of the "drawn" statement. That's a totally healthy weight.
  • godsgrl33
    godsgrl33 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Not so much myself, I only heard once "Well, don't get too skinny". But, a friend of my husband's and mine, he said this about her: "I liked her better when she had more meat on her bones. She's too skinny." To which I responded, "Really, so did she change since she lost weight? You don't like HER as much now? She's the same person, you know. And, no she's not too skinny. She may be on the low side of normal, but she is not underweight." Then, he backpedaled a little bit. I asked him if I lost as much as she did, would he like me less? Of course not. I rest my case.
  • lovelaughrun
    lovelaughrun Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I run 3 times a week and a few months ago I ran a half marathon ... when I was preparing for my race I trained at the most 5 days per week for an hour and a half tops somedays only 30 mins and I stopped drinking alcohol...
    Anyway I got and still get sooooooo sick and tired of my friends saying "OMG you are so obsessive"... "Jeez why do you run so much" ... they are always constantly joking about my running hobby and forever reminding me i dont need to run so much and I'm way too hard out... it really bugs me especially when I heard from another friend that they were gossiping behind my back about my so called 'obsession'... I merely had a goal and I achieved it... now I do three 8km runs per week as I love it and it means i can eat more... :D
    I put it down to jealousy - as we are almost 30 - most of them smoke, never exercise and party way too much... meh haters gonna hate :tongue:

Agreed. I think they're jealous of the success and your willpower. It's not easy to be disciplined