Have you ever been insulted about your weight loss?

Replies

• doingItIn2012
    doingItIn2012 Posts: 80 Member
    Last week a friend told me that I am the last person on earth who he imagined getting fit. LOL!

WOW! Thanks friend. Don't they say the darnedest things. LOL!
  • _Tara_R
    _Tara_R Posts: 688 Member
    "Your face is too thin, your eyes are sunken in!"---came from my husband!
  • monimoni1979
    monimoni1979 Posts: 10 Member
    I heard that even when I was still a bit overweight. My diet consultant said that people saying these things were simply jelaous of my progress. She also told me to ignore that and reach my goal. It was terribly demotivating when people kept saying "Don't lose weight anymore" . It made me think that they meant well and maybe I could stop my diet. But luckily I didn't and I reached my goal. So, don't listen to these people. Do your thing!
  • amylite
    amylite Posts: 40 Member
    People don't like change, and it makes them very uncomfortable when you change and they do not. Losing weight and getting fit and healthy draws their attention to the fact that they are not, and this makes them uncomfortable. Remember, its not you, its them.
  • QuirkyD
    QuirkyD Posts: 68 Member
    I can't believe someone told you that you are looking old! Geez!
  • Glad I'm not the only one. When I was dancing 7 days a week in high school and in the best shape as of yet. My grandmother came home from florida to tell me (after losing about 20lbs) "you look like you've put on some weight, honey" as she rubbed my flat stomach.

Shortly afterward I then got depressed and started worrying about my weight for real. Thinking I HAD put on weight.

Needless to say, she still wears her "girdle".
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    No, not yet anyways. Looks like I can look forward to it lol
  • justicer68
    justicer68 Posts: 1,223
    Yes....I've been told to eat a sandwich (when I probably eat more than they do).

I have heard people say that I look anorexic...(not even remotely possible).
  • Em2je05
    Em2je05 Posts: 215 Member
    I had a friend that is A-lot bigger than me say stuff like "Well how many calories is in that cookie that your eating?" or any type of food. And then she tries to tell me she's counting calories ALL the time and she doesn't...she says she counting it in her head. I don't even bother telling her that it is more than just calories. Urgh

I also get offended when my dad asks me questions like "Why don't you go for a walk? Or why don't you go to the gym with your mom?" when I'm healthier than him and worked my *kitten* of exercising and walking when he wasn't home.
  • JerZRob
    JerZRob Posts: 68
    From my doctor: "You've lost more weight, was this on purpose?"

From some of the "ladies" at work "Ron, stop losing, you're starting to look sick". I have to tell them I am healthier right now than I ever was during my 21 year military career.

Meh. I don't care. I have specific goals. And when I hit them, I'll keep rolling.....

I would hope your doc was just worried about an undiagnosed illness.
    Had a woman at my work say the same thing. Said I looked crackhead thin. When I put a ton of muscle on a couple months later she told me I looked to bulky. To this day she calls me bulky instead of my name.Can't win with some people.
  • hidbee
    hidbee Posts: 52 Member
    I get annoyed with the "too skinny"....that isn't a compliment. I look HEALTHY not SKINNY.
  • Kita328
    Kita328 Posts: 370 Member
    I've heard "you must be starving yourself" and your too skinny !! A bunch of times. I'm 5'10 180...I mean really. I
    think it's because overweight has become the norm in our society.

AMEN! Im not starving. OBVIOUSLY. I WORK HARD. UGh. So frustrating to hear that... drives me nuts. I started loosing weight and no one noticed until everyone noticed and they all said that- I must be starving if I lost weight- couldnt have been hard work and determination.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    My favorite:

"Five pounds! That's all water weight."

"Ten pounds! That's all water weight."

"Twenty pounds! That's all water weight."

Yes, someone said that to me after I lost 20 pounds. Can't people just be cool and say, "You look great!"

Actually, this **** drives me crazy, when women loose 10 pounds and expect everyone to treat them like they're a supermodel. If you were 50 lbs overweight, you're not going to look great at 10 or even 20lbs less... you have more to go!
  • I've never been insulted about my weight loss. Most of the feedback I've gotten has been really positive. However, I ran into one person last week so was almost overly concerned about how much weight I've been losing. She wanted to know all about how many calories I've been getting each day and why I wanted to lose weight. It was hard to sit there and be grilled about it.
  • bopstedal
    bopstedal Posts: 7 Member
    I like your response on this one - I totally get it. You look great - good job on the hard work!!
  • bopstedal
    bopstedal Posts: 7 Member
    so true - they may even try to sabotage you
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    People don't like change, and it makes them very uncomfortable when you change and they do not. Losing weight and getting fit and healthy draws their attention to the fact that they are not, and this makes them uncomfortable. Remember, its not you, its them.

This
  • No one has outright insulted me, but I do have a relative who takes the passive-aggressive approach of constantly offering me various snacks and sweets, and being downright insistent about it, whenever they hear I'm trying to lose.
  • MargaretSans
    MargaretSans Posts: 54 Member
    my mom tries to stage an intervention everytime i lose 5 lbs. She thinks women should have lots of "meat on thei bones" its gotten worse since I have moved out and she can't constantly feed me. She still tries to pack me lunches though
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Uh, the doctor's question was legit---weight loss without trying is associated with disease that (s)he is responsible to diagnose.
    From my doctor: "You've lost more weight, was this on purpose?"

From some of the "ladies" at work "Ron, stop losing, you're starting to look sick". I have to tell them I am healthier right now than I ever was during my 21 year military career.

Meh. I don't care. I have specific goals. And when I hit them, I'll keep rolling.....