The Many benefits of one meal a day!!

Options
13»

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    If the stomach truly "wears" out from consistent eating, shouldn't animals be dying who eat consistently? Like cows for instance.
    We're still animals. We just happen to have more intelligence than others, but our bodies pretty much work the same way it did THOUSANDS of years ago. All that changed was HOW we eat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • jaroby
    jaroby Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    pbutter07 wrote: »
    Earl, I hear ya. Different strokes for different folks. But if you do a little bit of research the lining of the stomach gets severely worn out by eating so many meals a day. It causes a lot of health problems. So eating one meal a day is not only beneficial for losing weight. It benefits you overall.

Actually, I HEALED the lining of my stomach by switching to 5 meals a day. Too much food in one meal was contributing to erosion of the stomach lining and anemia from the bleeding.

That's AWESOME that you healed your stomach! The human body is just amazing. I think it's really incredible that for some people eating 5 meals a day HEALS them and for others eating that often keeps their insulin levels too high so an intermittent fasting schedule works for their body. It's so awesome (yet frustrating at times) that there's no blanket "fix all" approach!

ninerbuff wrote: »
    If the stomach truly "wears" out from consistent eating, shouldn't animals be dying who eat consistently? Like cows for instance.
    We're still animals. We just happen to have more intelligence than others, but our bodies pretty much work the same way it did THOUSANDS of years ago. All that changed was HOW we eat.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I like where you're going with this. :smiley: did you know that cows have 4 stomachs? :smiley: I don't know the anatomy of other animals well enough to suggest one that proves where you were going, otherwise I would!! But cows eat alllll the time and actually regurgitate some of their food (it's called "cud") and chew it and digest it a second time before it passes onto the other stomachs. I think you're absolutely right that if cows tried to eat as much as they do with our digestive system they would be dying!!! But they're a bit out of our league what with the 4 stomachs and second pass at chewing their food and all :wink:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I don't think I could take in 2700-3000 calories per day in one meal..
  • PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I can't do the one meal a day thing. I am hypoglycemic and start to feel shaky, get headaches and feel nauseated if I go more than 5 hours without eating (except overnight of course). I tend to space my meals out where I know I'll be hungry and have found that I have less issues that way. :)
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I couldnt do OMAD either. I went from 3 meals and 2 snacks to 2 meals and 1-2 snacks a day.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I don't think I could take in 2700-3000 calories per day in one meal..

Agreed, at 3800 calories per day (what I am currently consuming), that would be one hell of a meal.... No thanks.

Glad the OP found something they believe to help them. I can't imagine eating such a small amount of food, whether one meal or 5.
  • YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I do IF but I could never do OMAD @ 1000 calories. I think I'd pass out.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    jaroby wrote: »
    Earl, I hear ya. Different strokes for different folks. But if you do a little bit of research the lining of the stomach gets severely worn out by eating so many meals a day. It causes a lot of health problems. So eating one meal a day is not only beneficial for losing weight. It benefits you overall.

Actually, I HEALED the lining of my stomach by switching to 5 meals a day. Too much food in one meal was contributing to erosion of the stomach lining and anemia from the bleeding.

That's AWESOME that you healed your stomach! The human body is just amazing. I think it's really incredible that for some people eating 5 meals a day HEALS them and for others eating that often keeps their insulin levels too high so an intermittent fasting schedule works for their body. It's so awesome (yet frustrating at times) that there's no blanket "fix all" approach!

Actually, eating more frequent, smaller meals is better for the blood sugar because it keeps it more level rather than the peaks and dips people get from eating less frequent larger meals.

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Actually, eating more frequent, smaller meals is better for the blood sugar because it keeps it more level rather than the peaks and dips people get from eating less frequent larger meals.

True ^^

Dr. Fung is generally considered a quack. Most of what he spews should be thrown out the window.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options

ninerbuff wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I like where you're going with this. :smiley: did you know that cows have 4 stomachs? :smiley: I don't know the anatomy of other animals well enough to suggest one that proves where you were going, otherwise I would!! But cows eat alllll the time and actually regurgitate some of their food (it's called "cud") and chew it and digest it a second time before it passes onto the other stomachs. I think you're absolutely right that if cows tried to eat as much as they do with our digestive system they would be dying!!! But they're a bit out of our league what with the 4 stomachs and second pass at chewing their food and all :wink:
    We can go with animals that have one stomach too. Rodents, birds, apes, etc. look for food ALL the time. And eat A LOT more often than humans do. So not buying the pseudoscience of the stomach getting "worn" out at all. It's quack science just like akaline diets, blood diets, detoxing, etc.
    Think about this: what can hydorchloric acid destroy? Just about everything except your stomach due to mucus lining and sodium bicarbonate. If one does have an issue with either, they see a gastroenterologist and not some book by some MD who just happens to study something and have no doctorate in it.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • shans34
    shans34 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I personally had a lot of success on one meal a day and one snack. It works well. To each their own
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    OP is gone and this thread should too!
  • chelseajgilbert
    chelseajgilbert Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    There's no hate here, because different methods work for different people. But upon reading this, I realized that I don't eat very often daily. I have insomnia and I am up late and wake late/ get up and start my day late. So I normally don't eat between 9 - 11 pm and 1-3pm. And I don't wake up starving. I'm not sure of the science behind it but eating 5-6 meals a day just doesn't work for me. Just putting in my info. :)