Eating a donut after months of healthy eating = nearly puked.

Options
Not sure what's going on here.

I ate a donut and a 1/2, and I haven't had any since November 2016.

Now, I have really bad chest pains, and I feel nauseous. Is my body used to more clean foods?

there is burning acid-like feeling from my mouth through to my stomach. I feel like can't eat anything else, and I am fairly dizzy too. I have felt this way before like 3 years ago, after I ate a bowl full of fried onion rings at a steak restaurant.

It's an inflamed feeling, and not a stomach flu feeling.

Have any other dieters experienced this? Not sure if this is worth a doctor's visit.

Replies

• JohnnyPenso
    JohnnyPenso Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Sounds like heartburn. Try some apple cider vinegar in water.
  • boopster99
    boopster99 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Yep. Anytime I eat greasy food that's exactly how I feel. However, if you are dizzy, sweaty, have pain in your chest and (left) arm, maybe be certain you're not having a cardiac episode. Better safe than sorry ...
  • RedheadedPrincess14
    RedheadedPrincess14 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I can't believe how sensitive my tummy is to deep fried food. Ridiculous because I never noticed this before I stopped eating it. What I do is drink fennel tea when I get heart burn.
  • boopster99
    boopster99 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Ditto. Obviously it's worse for us than we can even imagine otherwise why would it make us feel so blech?! My grandmom's answer to heartburn: pickle juice, straight out of the jar. Not sure why it works, but it works and fast!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I get sensitive to extra greasy or fatty or fried food sometimes too, since I don't have it much. I'd be more sensitive to things like the sausage biscuit or the McD's than the donut, though. But if it's unusual for you you can have a reaction to anything.

It does sound like heart-burn, but if you are worried call a doctor, don't want to mess with internet advice if you think it could be serious.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    Donuts always make me feel sick. I usually can only handle about 1/3. Can't explain it, but it is the only thing that reliably makes me nauseated.
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    dudebro200 wrote: »
    I can't believe how sensitive my tummy is to deep fried food. Ridiculous because I never noticed this before I stopped eating it. What I do is drink fennel tea when I get heart burn.

Is this what donuts were doing to my body before, but I was just used to it? Unbelievable.

Your system adjusts to what you put into it. If you're used to sweets and fried foods you can eat them no problem, but a healthy, balanced diet might just give you gas. If you're used to low fat, nutrient-dense foods, a sweet, greasy treat will bounce off the bottom of your stomach like a superball.

When I was religious I was Russian Orthodox. For Lent, you give up meat, dairy, fish, wine and oil, only to dive head-first into all those foods come Easter. I knew one guy who'd have to pop acidophilus pills all day, just to be able to eat the sausage.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Yes. Your body will adjust to what you put into it. When our family switched from a SAD to a whole foods diet it was a big adjustment. First our taste buds had to adjust. After awhile if we decide to have "treats" that we rarely eat (donut, sugar drink, etc), we usually pay for it. It doesn't taste good to us and usually gives us indigestion and a sick feeling. It has made us (and even my kids) self regulating for junk food because it doesn't make them feel good. If they have tiny amounts they'll be okay but tiny is like a 1/4 of a donut (who eats that?!). So consider it a good thing! It will likely help you self regulate really well because you know how you'll feel eating too much junk again.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I randomly get heartburn but it's so rare that I don't know if there's a trigger food etc. Take some antacids and don't lay down; it's worse laying down... the burn will literally crawl up your throat
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    MichSmish wrote: »
    For shame! I :heart: donuts!

Me too. I used to eat 6 at a time.
  • MaddMaestro
    MaddMaestro Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Yep I have the same problem now so I avoid donuts all together. Will still eat a cookie once in a while. Even though I don't get sick off cookies, I still get a super sugar high >_< I hate it when I can't burn it off right away either lol
  • jak1958
    jak1958 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Are you serious?
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    This is the very reason I don't eliminate any foods. It's not because the donut is bad, it's just you aren't used to it. You know what gets me? Broccoli, weird huh?

This. People always make fun of my iron stomach, but I think it's because I like variety and I eat a little bit of everything on a regular basis. Including the amazing greasy powdered sugary Bavarian cream donuts the Mennonites here make. I eat light and mostly veg for the rest of the day, but once or twice a month it's totally worth it. I can imagine if you have eliminated fried foods or eat low fat and you had one, your stomach would NOT be happy!

That donut sounds worth the risk imo lol. Every so often there's a grocery store that sells the most amazing cronuts I love and they're about 360 cals each... I could easily eat 3 (but limit it to one lol) fried carbs with sugar tastes like being in love
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I used to get heartburn terribly, back years ago when I got fat. Once I lost weight, I never have it anymore.