Eating a donut after months of healthy eating = nearly puked.

Options

Replies

• SunnyDayzMomma
    SunnyDayzMomma Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Ugh I feel ya! I feel more nauseous than heartburn, but it really makes you realize how our bodies are designed to process real food and not the junk!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    You've probably reduced your fat consumption when you were dieting and a large influx on fat caused discomfort. It's not the doughnut per se, if you had fried eggplant, even without breading, you would most probably feel the same.

People going from eating barely no vegetables to eating a lot of them are also likely to experience stomach issues simply because they aren't used to this much fiber. It's not because vegetables are bad for health, it's simply because they aren't used to them.

He actually isn't particularly low fat, though -- the day of the donut he had McD's for breakfast, and other days have stuff like sausage biscuits. My guess is it's just one of those things, sometimes you get heart burn, I think (I haven't actually suffered from it, but that's what I understand).

But maybe it was a terrible, awful, very bad donut, of course! ;-)
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I used to suffer heartburn daily whilst obese. thankfully its gone. Not a nice feeling.

I love doughnuts but dont have them as much as i used to and when i do they taste mighty fine. I would go for an iced doughnut with jam in the middle
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    This is the very reason I don't eliminate any foods. It's not because the donut is bad, it's just you aren't used to it. You know what gets me? Broccoli, weird huh?

Yep, this.
  • lemurcat12
    edited April 2017
    Options
    The best doughnut is an apple cider donut in the fall. I rarely have doughnuts, but always have one of those, and so far no heartburn. Here's a recipe, although I never make them myself: https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1012927-apple-cider-doughnuts

I suppose apple cider doughnuts are to doughnuts as ACV is to vinegar? ;-)

(Ducking and running away now.)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    You've probably reduced your fat consumption when you were dieting and a large influx on fat caused discomfort. It's not the doughnut per se, if you had fried eggplant, even without breading, you would most probably feel the same.

People going from eating barely no vegetables to eating a lot of them are also likely to experience stomach issues simply because they aren't used to this much fiber. It's not because vegetables are bad for health, it's simply because they aren't used to them.

He actually isn't particularly low fat, though -- the day of the donut he had McD's for breakfast, and other days have stuff like sausage biscuits. My guess is it's just one of those things, sometimes you get heart burn, I think (I haven't actually suffered from it, but that's what I understand).

Interesting. May just be one of these things where people just stop being able to tolerate certain foods. My mom was an avid coffee drinker, and once she had gastro issues so she stopped drinking coffee and now she stopped being able to drink it.

Or might just be one of these days. I have an exceptionally durable stomach and I very rarely get heartburn. A few months ago I had funnel cake, and I had one of the most memorable heartburn in ages, being my usual stubborn self, 2 days later I fried up some more of the same batter, and nothing! Bodies are weird sometimes.
  • dudebro200
    dudebro200 Posts: 97 Member
    Options

I eat McDonald's, but I get an egg white delight. I rarely eat more than 60grams fat a day.

I eat a heavy breakfast normally, but I don't eat heavy for lunch and dinner. Usually 97 turkey or chicken breast and broccoli.

What I don't normally eat much of are deep fried foods, which is what a donut is.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    dudebro200 wrote: »

I eat McDonald's, but I get an egg white delight. I rarely eat more than 60grams fat a day.

I eat a heavy breakfast normally, but I don't eat heavy for lunch and dinner. Usually 97 turkey or chicken breast and broccoli.

What I don't normally eat much of are deep fried foods, which is what a donut is.

I don't have anything against fat, but you had McM and hash browns, with more total fat combined than a single donut. You only had a few days logged, but they were all in the 70s, one 78 g. Nothing wrong with that, but not low fat. You had a day with a sausage biscuit for breakfast (7-11), more total fat than a single donut, plus sausage for lunch and dinner (same fat as the single donut). I don't see how the donut was too much fat to handle.

But I have no theories, so if you think it was the fat in the donut, that's fine with me.
  • ConquerAndBloom
    ConquerAndBloom Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    cityruss wrote: »
    canadjineh wrote: »
    Probably the combination of GMO'd sugar-beet sugar, white super-refined flour, boiled in some random vegetable oil that's reheated too many times :s

Do you have any evidence that GMO sugar beet sugar causes any of the above ailments?

lol, it's obviously difficult to post in sarcasm and irony, isn't it? ;)

I was so hoping that it was sarcasm/irony because it's darn funny, but clearly it hits close to home huh? LOL ;) Never know these days!
  • ConquerAndBloom
    ConquerAndBloom Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Donuts nearly make me ill now. I ate half of one a couple months ago and threw the other half out. The third bite just got gross.

This happened to me recently, I decided to give the Krispy Kreme by my house a try (I grew up only knowing Winchell's), and I could only manage about 1/3 of the donut. As I hadn't been eating too much sugary stuff such as donuts, I couldn't tell if my repulsion was the donut wasn't that great, or if it was just a shock to the system.

Maybe I'll have to give it another run to know for sure. ;)
  • karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I've gotten that way from donuts before, that combination of sweet and fried gave me bad heartburn and turned my stomach. Granted I had eaten like 3 of them lol
  • dudebro200
    dudebro200 Posts: 97 Member
    Options

I don't have anything against fat, but you had McM and hash browns, with more total fat combined than a single donut. You only had a few days logged, but they were all in the 70s, one 78 g. Nothing wrong with that, but not low fat. You had a day with a sausage biscuit for breakfast (7-11), more total fat than a single donut, plus sausage for lunch and dinner (same fat as the single donut). I don't see how the donut was too much fat to handle.

But I have no theories, so if you think it was the fat in the donut, that's fine with me.

Hmmm... I skipped a few days recently (due to birthday and reaching a 17lbs lost milestone) , but have logged more than 60 days. Are those days not available?

The donut was from a mom-n-pop shop, and I used to the Dunkin donut as an analogue.

Fat in meat is one thing, but deep fried food is something else.

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    After a 48 hour water fast, and nearly two months of relatively low fat eating, today's evening exceptionally heavy meal is going to be interesting, but I will regret nothing!

I remember breaking a 36 hour fast once. My guts were maaaaaaaaaaad.

An update: no stomach issues, at least nothing major, just woke up "aware" of my stomach if you know what I mean. As if it wants to hurt but isn't, and as if it wants to give me acid reflux but has not crossed that bridge.

The weirdest thing happened yesterday, though. I'm a person who is capable of eating way beyond the point of fullness, I'm not someone who feels "gross" when I grossly overeat or hates the feeling of fullness enough to skip dessert, and yesterday was the first time I experienced this happen. I could not eat more than a few bites of everything and I could not make room for dessert. My planned 4000 calories ended up stopping at about 1400 something which puts me at very low net for these two day. Not complaining, I will make up for it for sure with leftovers and Easter chocolate, but that uncomfortable fullness was something novel for me to experience. Might use fasting as an appetite control tool before large feasts in the future when appropriate.
  • cheriej2042
    cheriej2042 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I just hope it was a good chocolate donut or maybe a buttermilk one but I just finished an 8 week weight loss challenge and there was a donut Star next to the weigh in place (max muscle). I ran to my car afterwards but I dreamt about those donuts!
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    This is the very reason I don't eliminate any foods. It's not because the donut is bad, it's just you aren't used to it. You know what gets me? Broccoli, weird huh?

But you might need to up your discipline to fight trigger foods if you have a little of them everywhere though. Something gotta give. :)

The OP is just inexperienced.

After coming out of a fast or reintroducing a food that's not in the system for long, we should slowly ram up with some of our comfort foods first. My go-to appetizers are cashew nuts, plain tortila chips to name a few. They should cover the stomach lining and help neutralize extreme upset.

Talking about "eating strategies", it feels like teaching grandpa to suck eggs. LOL.

• ChristopherLimoges
    ChristopherLimoges Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Try to relax, and get back to eating healthy. The change on the taste buds is natural, eating cleaner and healthier will cause certain enhancements, one of them being taste, and the taste profile of some foods that may have been more bitter and tart or unpleasant before may also change especially if those foods have natural sugars in them, making them taste sweeter or more pleasant than previously thought. Vice versa for the foods you've eaten before eating clean. Be careful when taking advice on issues regarding acidity, the topic of high acidity in the body has plenty of aspects, causes, resulting in the misdiagnosis of plenty. If you're drinking or eating an acidic food or beverage try to level yourself out by eating or drinking the opposite.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Pastry does it me yet I love a greggs sausage roll.

Us Northern lasses love greggs
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    Pastry does it me yet I love a greggs sausage roll.

Us Northern lasses love greggs

us southerners too. steak bake, washed down with a iced jam doughnut
  • lemurcat12
    Options

Hmmm... I skipped a few days recently (due to birthday and reaching a 17lbs lost milestone) , but have logged more than 60 days. Are those days not available?

The donut was from a mom-n-pop shop, and I used to the Dunkin donut as an analogue.

Fat in meat is one thing, but deep fried food is something else.

Are McD's hash browns not deep fried? I never go to McD's, so assumed, but don't know for sure. Their fries certainly are.

I almost never eat deep fried things (and on average eat a lot less fat than you have logged), but occasionally go for fried chicken (local soul food place near me) or some good fries or fish and chips (local pub), and it doesn't bother me. I also had a pazcki (Polish jelly doughnut) my assistant brought it before Lent started, because it's a tradition here, and that didn't seem hugely different either.

But everyone is different, and if you have developed an intolerance to doughnuts, that's too bad (or good for you, or whatever the desired reaction is).