Eating a donut after months of healthy eating = nearly puked.

Options

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Pastry does it me yet I love a greggs sausage roll.

Us Northern lasses love greggs

us southerners too. steak bake, washed down with a iced jam doughnut

My husband often tells me about when he was at school and his lunch was 3 Greggs sausage rolls and a doughnut...
  • comeonnow142857
    comeonnow142857 Posts: 310 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Be careful about how you approach food restriction: We may want controls on our eating to make our bodies more resilient, not a more fragile organism.
  • comeonnow142857
    Options
    I feel much better after eating sweets, after months of healthy eating, than I did when I was overeating. I used to pop Rennie like chewing gums, and wake up in the night with acid reflux. Now my stomach is in much better shape and likes chocolate and mcdonald's much more than it did.
  • crazyycatlady1
    crazyycatlady1 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    dudebro200 wrote: »
    dudebro200 wrote: »
    You've probably reduced your fat consumption when you were dieting and a large influx on fat caused discomfort. It's not the doughnut per se, if you had fried eggplant, even without breading, you would most probably feel the same.

People going from eating barely no vegetables to eating a lot of them are also likely to experience stomach issues simply because they aren't used to this much fiber. It's not because vegetables are bad for health, it's simply because they aren't used to them.

He actually isn't particularly low fat, though -- the day of the donut he had McD's for breakfast, and other days have stuff like sausage biscuits. My guess is it's just one of those things, sometimes you get heart burn, I think (I haven't actually suffered from it, but that's what I understand).

But maybe it was a terrible, awful, very bad donut, of course! ;-)

I eat McDonald's, but I get an egg white delight. I rarely eat more than 60grams fat a day.

I eat a heavy breakfast normally, but I don't eat heavy for lunch and dinner. Usually 97 turkey or chicken breast and broccoli.

What I don't normally eat much of are deep fried foods, which is what a donut is.

I don't have anything against fat, but you had McM and hash browns, with more total fat combined than a single donut. You only had a few days logged, but they were all in the 70s, one 78 g. Nothing wrong with that, but not low fat. You had a day with a sausage biscuit for breakfast (7-11), more total fat than a single donut, plus sausage for lunch and dinner (same fat as the single donut). I don't see how the donut was too much fat to handle.

But I have no theories, so if you think it was the fat in the donut, that's fine with me.

Hmmm... I skipped a few days recently (due to birthday and reaching a 17lbs lost milestone) , but have logged more than 60 days. Are those days not available?

The donut was from a mom-n-pop shop, and I used to the Dunkin donut as an analogue.

Fat in meat is one thing, but deep fried food is something else.

Are McD's hash browns not deep fried? I never go to McD's, so assumed, but don't know for sure. Their fries certainly are.

I almost never eat deep fried things (and on average eat a lot less fat than you have logged), but occasionally go for fried chicken (local soul food place near me) or some good fries or fish and chips (local pub), and it doesn't bother me. I also had a pazcki (Polish jelly doughnut) my assistant brought it before Lent started, because it's a tradition here, and that didn't seem hugely different either.

But everyone is different, and if you have developed an intolerance to doughnuts, that's too bad (or good for you, or whatever the desired reaction is).

Yep, they are :p
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Pizza binges are like a summer love affair, or (the ads would have you think) a trip to Vegas. Enjoy it while it lasts but when its over its over.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Try to relax, and get back to eating healthy. The change on the taste buds is natural, eating cleaner and healthier will cause certain enhancements, one of them being taste, and the taste profile of some foods that may have been more bitter and tart or unpleasant before may also change especially if those foods have natural sugars in them, making them taste sweeter or more pleasant than previously thought. Vice versa for the foods you've eaten before eating clean. Be careful when taking advice on issues regarding acidity, the topic of high acidity in the body has plenty of aspects, causes, resulting in the misdiagnosis of plenty. If you're drinking or eating an acidic food or beverage try to level yourself out by eating or drinking the opposite.

Your respiratory and renal systems regulate the acidity of your body.

Even in metabolic or respiratory acidosis/alkalosis your body will compensate to a degree. 'Balancing' an acidic food with an opposite food does nothing.

OP - if you have chest pain, regardless of the donut incident, get yourself medically assessed to rule out cardiac causes.

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Be careful about how you approach food restriction: We may want controls on our eating to make our bodies more resilient, not a more fragile organism.

Skipping deep fat fried sugar coated doughnuts will not make ones body more fragile.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

Skipping deep fat fried sugar coated doughnuts will not make ones body more fragile.

It's relative
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Fat isn't soluble in water, and most of the chemistry in your digestive tract is water-based. To make the fats soluble, your body secretes bile from the liver and stored in the gall bladder into the duodenum, which is the first part of the intestine directly beyond the stomach's lower sphincter.

People prone to gallstones (mostly genetics) have for a long time been advised to avoid fatty foods--when the gall bladder contracts, if there is a stone in the gall bladder or its duct, it clamps down on the stone, which is painful and causes a "gall stone attack". So, eating fatty foods can precipitate symptoms in these people.

However there is a growing body of evidence that it is stasis of the bile in the gallbladder that allows people prone to gallstones to actually develop gallstones. This means that it may actually be better to consistently eat moderate amount of fats so that the bile in the gallbladder is regularly emptied, before it can solidify into stones.

If donuts make you sick after a long period of not eating fats, its possible you are developing gallstones. If you can convince your doc to get you an ultrasound, you can know for sure. Early stages of stone formation can sometimes be treated to dissolve the stones over a period of about a year, by taking daily ursodiol (which you can google). The only options in late stages are surgical.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

well maybe thats not true, its making some people want to puke when they eat them again
  • aimeefholland
    aimeefholland Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Pain in your chest around your lower ribs which can also go around the back of the lower ribs, nausea and or spewing, hot & cold sweats etc after eating fatty food can be a sign of gallstones/inflamed gallbladder.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

well maybe thats not true, its making some people want to puke when they eat them again

Look at the health markers of those who eat fat and sugar laden foods on a frequent basis vs those that don't and you will find those that don't will generally have better numbers, i.e., their health is not as fragile.
  • comeonnow142857
    Options

booyah
  • comeonnow142857
    edited April 2017
    Options

Look at the health markers of those who eat fat and sugar laden foods on a frequent basis vs those that don't and you will find those that don't will generally have better numbers, i.e., their health is not as fragile.

we're talking about the context of people who are controlling their calories and weight. I don't believe your claim is (the health problem with people who eat fat and sugar laden foods more frequently tends to arise from eating too much and being overweight).

In this context, flexible dieters fare better than highly restrictive dieters in general, and if they really can eat a wider variety of foods without getting violently ill, their digestive systems are definitely more robust.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    LAT1963 wrote: »
    Fat isn't soluble in water, and most of the chemistry in your digestive tract is water-based. To make the fats soluble, your body secretes bile from the liver and stored in the gall bladder into the duodenum, which is the first part of the intestine directly beyond the stomach's lower sphincter.

People prone to gallstones (mostly genetics) have for a long time been advised to avoid fatty foods--when the gall bladder contracts, if there is a stone in the gall bladder or its duct, it clamps down on the stone, which is painful and causes a "gall stone attack". So, eating fatty foods can precipitate symptoms in these people.

However there is a growing body of evidence that it is stasis of the bile in the gallbladder that allows people prone to gallstones to actually develop gallstones. This means that it may actually be better to consistently eat moderate amount of fats so that the bile in the gallbladder is regularly emptied, before it can solidify into stones.

If donuts make you sick after a long period of not eating fats, its possible you are developing gallstones. If you can convince your doc to get you an ultrasound, you can know for sure. Early stages of stone formation can sometimes be treated to dissolve the stones over a period of about a year, by taking daily ursodiol (which you can google). The only options in late stages are surgical.

zc1qeh45ysa0.png
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a donut in a year but the more I see this discussion on my list of active discussions the more I take it as a challenge.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I really think most of the "a donut makes me sick" kinds of things are mental. Yes, going very low fat for a while can mean that a higher fat item doesn't sit right (as my grandmother would have said) and cutting out meat can have the same effect when you reintroduce it (not for me yesterday, yay!), but that's temporary and the foods that are added back in aren't inherently bad for you, that's really a strawman.

Also, to Packerjohn, I eat a very healthy diet and have great test results (although my test results were fine even when I was fat, they are better now). I don't find that eating a donut (which I do maybe twice a year) makes me sick, or having an occasional fish and chips or whatever. I wouldn't see that as a sign that I'm too healthy to eat bad things (LOL) but that there was something wrong or off (or that it was just one of those things or some personal food sensitivity). Sometimes I think people want to think foods they are attracted to but are afraid they will overdo make them sick, as it is a way of addressing the attraction.

I do think it's funny that OP's diet is being held up as an overly clean one and he can't handle the fat when he's consistently in the 70s with fat and one day this month had hash browns, a sausage biscuit, and an Egg McM (but with egg whites!) for breakfast. Whatever the issue is, it's not low fat.

Not everything has a direct cause, sometimes we just have weird reactions or feel bad.