Drinking....the Bain of my weight loss

Options

Replies

• ZeroTX
    ZeroTX Posts: 179 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    My recent love is craft beer and it definitely interrupts, if not entirely counteracts, weight loss efforts. Typically a good high ABV craft beer is going to be 250 calories or so, as compared with say 100 calories for a Coors Light. The good news is I can usually just drink ONE good craft beer vs. at least 2 regular light beers.

I've also been in search of a lower cal craft beer, but honestly, that's just not a thing. If I absolutely must have a cold one and cannot afford the calories of a good beer, I go for a Coors Light. It has the most/best flavor of the macro brew light beers. On my next grocery trip I'm also planning to buy a 6-er of Shiner Light Blonde, which is better. I'm just not sure if they sell Shiner Light in other parts of the country. Even so, Shiner Bock isn't too bad at maybe 150cal per 12oz bottle and it's not bad beer at all (not craft level good, but not Miller Lite level bad, either).
  • katspence09
    katspence09 Posts: 1 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I'm 26 and still in the "drinking at every social event" phase. Wine gave me a little belly over the winter so now I'm trying to work off all those wonderful bottles I drank. It's such a bummer because wine is just so good! What I keep thinking though is how nice that summer bod will be. Keeps me on track and in the zone!
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest with trying quality sipping drinks, like top shelf scotch, whiskey, or tequila. They are quite enjoyable and with some training can last much longer than mixed drinks. Don't take on rocks or with water as it's easier to gulp them down.
  • ChelzFit
    ChelzFit Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I love my wine! I used to be better at just drinking vodka and club soda with a lime because it was low calorie but I usually only drink once or twice a month so when I do I choose what really want. I also really like cranberry and vodka. I am not a big beer fan. My problem is once I start drinking then the munchies start and before you know it we are ordering pizza in at 2 in the morning.
  • bigmuneymfp
    bigmuneymfp Posts: 2,235 Member
    Options
    Titos tonight!
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Wine is the first thing I cut out when I'm trying to lose weight. Besides the calories of the wine itself, I always overeat when I drink too much, then blow my workouts the next day because I feel like crap. It's just not worth it. When I'm in maintenance, I can work in a glass or two on a Friday night, no problem. But I keep it to that.
  • BuffMom84
    BuffMom84 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I drink wine or liquor mixed with water or seltzer water. I used to drink beer or liquor mixed with soda. I've gotten to the point where I somehow trained myself not to eat at all after I started drinking, or if I do I just have a few pretzels or almonds (no more late night pizza deliveries or trips to Taco Bell). But I'm sure I would have lost weight quicker if I hadn't drank at all!
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    I stick to a spirit and diet beverage (vodka & diet coke is my go to) to keep calories the lowest. Alternative an alcoholic with non-alcoholic drink and you're halving calories.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I drink every weekend, I party hard and I work out hard tho. it works for me. not stopping, love my drink and love my cardio!
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I like to think Untappd and MFP are battling over my fitness soul.

Untappd is typically the victor.
  • Allgaun
    Allgaun Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Becks Light has 64 calories for 12 oz. Too bad you never see it in bars.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,106 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Mojitos are my downfall!

Mojitos are mostly water anyways :lol: think how hydrated you will be

• tjones0411
    tjones0411 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    The hunt for calories was the reason someone invented the "Skinny *kitten*", which is vodka, soda water and lime.
    Not sure it's worth drinking if you'll be drinking that though.

That's my go-to! It's actually really good - very refreshing. I don't like sweet drinks, so for me, it's perfect. Sometimes I'll toss some muddled mint in there too. I can promise you, it's definitely worth drinking!
  • Austex_Egger
    Austex_Egger Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    The post drinking munchies are my challenge as well. I enjoy Scotch and Small batch Whiskeys, I now limit myself to 1 bottle a month and that seems to work for me.
  • aubintex
    aubintex Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    cbmarble wrote: »
    I love some craft beer (never really been a wine drinker), so I'd love some recommendations on some low(er) calorie beers. Can't make myself drink Mich Ultra.

Shiner Light's not bad
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I love wine, so don't drink much of it unless I fit it into my calories. I drink 2-3 oz of scotch a few nights a week. I don't drink enough to get the munchies with scotch since I don't like it as much as wine, and seldom drink "too much".
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I'.ve been here for 2-1/2 years and drink vodka every day. I managed to lose over 70# and still have my vodka, tho not Tito's. (darn it) Anyway, you can diet, have your alcohol and lose weight. Just count the alcohol in your calories in and run or exercise it off, just like any other calories. The hardest part is overeating when you have had a bit too much to drink. Good luck
  • KathyRohr1
    KathyRohr1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Agreed! to so many- I both drink too many calories, then eat too many after my good intentions fade with the drinkies. Think I will stick with vodka and club soda for now, then can still have a few. Was happy to see the low # of calories in vodka.