My journey journal

Options

Replies

• sunshower786
    sunshower786 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Your posts speak to my spirit on so many levels. It seems you are on a path to making this journey one that can last a lifetime. I will be reading your post and praying for your continued success. Be encoraged and God bless.
  • Lrlong82
    Lrlong82 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Soooo. ... The newness has worn off and the excitement has faded. My friend referred to it as "losing the new car smell ". I believe I lost some of the luster at last week's weigh in because I had only lost one pound. And I recognize that I am a little bummed about not seeing progress visually or in a decrease in my clothing size. I figure this is that time when my reason A.K.A the "why am I doing this" kicks in. Now that this is boring and just a part of my life I find that I encourage myself about other things besides my size. One motivator is that I get better sleep. Another is that I have more energy. I also appreciate not having knee, hip and back pain. But honestly that's not what keeps me going. I think what keeps me going is the fact that I wanted to do this for a while. I've thought about it for so long that it feels good to actually do what I want. So I guess I have to give thanks to God for being the author and the finisher of my faith. God bless and thank God
  • susanp57
    susanp57 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Hi OP, I'm enjoying reading your story and would be glad to help if need be, though I'm no expert.

I come from a long line of diabetics. My mother was. Of my 4 grandparents, 3 were. I'm not gonna be.

One thing I just noted in reading your story is your workouts. Find things you like to do. I was something of an athlete when I was younger. Things I like to do are different. Vigorous fitness walking which can lead to hiking. :) Riding a bike. Dancing like an idiot. I really did not like Beachbody P90X because I found him kinda skeevy. Plus it was too structured.

I have also started to do advance meal prep which is all over the net right now. There is a small thread in the recipe section about it. Saves time in the long run and on a Wednesday night it's nice not to have to make a decision about supper because it is already made.

HTH,
  • Lrlong82
    Options
    Good morning. I Thank God for everyone that responds to these posts. I am sharing my life through this journal and in doing so I have gained so much support and encouragement. I pray that our words be a blessing, a lesson and motivation to others. Especially anyone who is in need of an inspiring word. I pray that people find comfort in knowing that they are not alone on this journey and find courage to share their story as well. May our words edify and build each other. Amen. God bless and keep sharing.
  • Danielle6327
    Danielle6327 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Lrlong82 wrote: »
    "....change your mind about what you want. "
    During these past two weeks I have focused on improving my eating habits. I also took some time to get in two 30 minute work out sessions each week as well. Fortune for me, I've always had a desire for physical fitness. I love the idea of moving and sweating and pushing the body to the limit. So one of my wellness goals is to incorporate more physical fitness into my daily routine. Funny think though, I liked the idea of working out more than I liked the actual work out! . During physical activities, I tended to minimize movements and efforts to avoid the burn. I didn't like my legs to hurt. Or my arms. Or my abs. I was particularly hateful of cardio because I hated increased heart rate and breathing. Because I struggled with asthma as a child, cardio triggered me to hyper ventilate and my heart pounding felt so uncomfortable . So I was never a fan of strong work outs. I loved the fantasy of it. I admired others who did it. But none for me please. However, over these past two weeks I noticed a change in my thinking. During my workouts I actually appreciated the pain. Why? Because I appreciated the fact that I was working my muscles. Also, I loved that it was a pain I controlled. Because I'm obese my body was usually in pain any way. Lower back pain, knee pain and hip pain. But a work out was a special kind of pain. The pain of working and healthy living. Not from deterioration and failing health. I embraced that old mantra "no pain, no gain". I will admit, I'm still not a fan of cardio though. But hey. .. One day/one change at a time. God bless and feel the burn!

Thanks for the update I will use it
  • Danielle6327
    Danielle6327 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Here is the plan my doctor gave me:
    1) Don't skip meals. (That was easy! ).
    2) No eating after 7pm
    3) No starches for dinner, just meat and veggies.
    4) 1200 calories a day
    5) Drink plenty of water
    6) Exercise; 10 minutes x 5 days or 30 minutes x 3 days
    7) No fried foods
    I'm certain there was much more but that's about all my nerves can handle.
    Challenge: Right now I'm so afraid of failing that I haven't gotten out of the bed yet. I have this fear that once I start eating, I'm going to mess up. I feel paralyzed. I don't want to end this day feeling like a failure which is why I haven't started.
    Facing the challenge: Plan. Breakfast will be cereal (hot or cold). Apple and peanut butter for a snack. (That's as far a head as I can think right now) Take it one choice at a time. End my day with reflection, not criticism. Recognize my strengths, identify my short comings and look for ways to improve.
    God bless and get going!

Thanks for the update I will use it contact me if u we would like to help me my email is hutchensjulieann1992@gmail.com
  • Lrlong82
    Options
    Saw it. Loved it. Thought I'd use it for my journal as well. Especially since there are days I want to write but don't have words to say. Figured this would help:

GOALS and IDEAS for daily posts
    1) Monday - Check In (how am I doing? Had any successes or struggles this week-end?)
    2) Tuesday - Goals (do I have any Goals I want to update?)
    3) Wednesday - Wishes (what do I wish? It can be weight related or not, can be realistic or not)
    4)Thursday - Truth (got anything I need to fess up to or get off my chest?)
    5) Friday - Fitness (what am I doing to get fit? How am I preparing for weekend eating?
    6) Saturday - Success (what have I accomplished; focus on the positive of the week, NSV=non scale victories)
    7)Sunday - Sharing (tell a little about self....update personal life)
  • Lrlong82
    Options
    Sunday sharing; I am on a week long road trip with my husband. We took our two boys to my mom's yesterday cause we figured the travel would be easier without the little ones. They don't mind at all. And she asks for them all the time. Grandma is their best friend
  • Lrlong82
    Options
    I was apprehensive about sticking to my calorie goal while on this trip because I thought I would be setting myself up for failure. But so far so good. Yesterday I was waaaay under my goal. Today was a pretty good day also. Breakfast at waffle house and a home cooked dinner with my dad, step mom and husband ❤. I went over my daily goal by 113 calories so I could have dessert. Not a big deal today. But I recognize the potential to fall back into my old pattern of instant gratification and gobbling every thing down in one meal instead of pacing myself and planning my calories. Just something to keep in mind. I'm thankful for this time with my dad.
  • Lrlong82
    Options
    How am I doing?: I am anxious. Instead of relaxing on this trip I am feeling guilty. I feel like I'm doing something wrong. Or am waiting to mess up. And it's truly unwarranted. I pray for peace. Not just for me but for others who also struggle with anxiety. God bless and Amen.
  • abrubru
    abrubru Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Lrlong82...you are diong a great job. 14 pounds in a month is excellent work. I have been averaging about 3-4 pounds a month, and am happy with that.
    Let the guilt go. You can work small amounts of treats into your regular diet. I had ice cream today...and beer...and was still within my caloric restrictions. Not every day is a treat day, but if you restrict yourself completely, you have a bigger chance of rebounding. Moderation and portion size is the key.
    You have a great grip on your own personal reality...keep up the good work!
  • abrubru
    abrubru Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    How am I doing?: I am anxious. Instead of relaxing on this trip I am feeling guilty. I feel like I'm doing something wrong. Or am waiting to mess up. And it's truly unwarranted. I pray for peace. Not just for me but for others who also struggle with anxiety. God bless and Amen.

You will mess up, we all mess up. The important thing to remember is that when you mess up that you pick up and keep moving. Don't stop. Instead of thinking "Oh, I messed up, I can't do this, I may as well give up," think "Whoops, I had a bad meal, or I was over by 100 calories, tomorrow is a new day." Peace comes in accepting our shortcomings..in meeting ourselves where we are and taking ourselves where we need to be...
  • Lrlong82
    edited May 2017
    Options
    My vacation is coming to an end. My husband and I spent the day on the road coming back to GA from MD. I had a beautiful time. I feel like I've been gone so long that I don't want to get back to my life of routine. I feel like I can just continue spending my days free spirited hanging out with my husband ❤. I'm very thankful for the man that he's become. His efforts to grow in Christ inspire me to be a better person. He supports and encourages all my endeavors. He listens to me and makes every attempt to give sound advice, although he can be an annoying "I know how to fix your problem" man sometimes
  • Fofinha4
    Fofinha4 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It's Beautiful that you have your husband's support & spirituality on this journey!
  • Lrlong82
    Options
    My first monthly weight loss goal from the doctor was to lose12 lbs. When he first said it I thought he was crazy. I tried talking him into a lower number but he was not hearing that. Turns out he was right. Matter of fact I was down 14 lbs. I was excited to accomplish that goal that it didn't bother me at when he set this month's weight loss goal at 10 lbs. I felt like anything is possible. Don't get me wrong, I still do. But I'm not sure it'll be this month.
  • Lrlong82
    Options
    Obstacle this month: week long vacation to visit family and attend a graduation. That meant eating out every day or eating food prepared by family. Also meant changes to my eating schedule.
    Overcoming obstacle: I stayed consistent with logging. That helped me stay accountable and aware. I refrained from fried foods. I choice veggies, salads and low cal proteins. I also used the hotel's gym to get in some exercise. Half way through the trip I started going over my calorie goals. But I believe I was able to minimize the damage by sticking to those habits. My at home weigh in showed that I am down 3 lbs
  • Lrlong82
    Options
    Bitter sweet moment.
    Bitters: I'm unofficially ONLY down three pounds. At this rate I won't reach this month's weight loss goal of 10 lbs because I only have 10 days left.
    Sweets: I didn't gain any weight on the trip. I've lost three pounds since my last unofficial home weigh in 10 days ago. If official weigh in at the doctor's office this Thursday is the same then I have earned my next reward: Bath and Body Work shower gel, lotion and body spray gift set. Matter of fact, now that I think about it, I feel like I've earned a candle too!
    Sooooo.... I can focus on the bitter. Which is what I was doing before I journaled. But now that I can see it, the sweet definitely out weighs the bitter. Although I might not reach one goal I was able to accomplish another. And some progression is better than no progression. And always better than a regression. God bless and no regress.