Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Lab Grown Meat... would you?

Options

Replies

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    @ Aaron - I can understand that. I'm actually connecting with guys like you right now, ironically, as part of my consulting business. It's an exciting time for Genetic Engineering in therapeutic medicine. To me, it's about time that we finally go to the root of illness as opposed to masking illnesses with pain meds (or surgery, which is advanced but I'm not certain always necessary). I'm certainly not a scientist but I do find it incredible the pace of advancements in that field (and all the money being thrown into new potential drugs).

Maybe I'm too stupid to understand, but I think I agree with you completely. I do think the more we learn about the human body, the less we find out we actually knew. When someone says this is that is the only way to look at things when it comes to health, I guess I'm not sure anyone's sure of what makes us healthy/ill any longer so I get tired of all the rigid thinking too. I do think we'll all have a lot clearer understanding in 10/15 years. I read articles posted by some of my VC contacts all the time (most I don't honestly understand all that well) but I read one this morning about not only protein therapy advancements but the ability to "switch off" a potentially harmful DNA's ability to do damage (I suppose that is genetically damaged or predisposed to be harmful).

I am very aware that genetic engineering can have huge benefits and important implications for us all.

Shameless self-promotion but the public backlash against GMOs and specifically the labeling movement I was witnessing actually bothered me enough to right an OP ED about it which Forbes published:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/realspin/2015/12/22/you-cant-judge-a-product-by-a-gmo-label/
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    whhuynh90 wrote: »
    no over run with steroids or antibiotics, or whatever else they put into food for mass production for this ever growing population. personally, I totally approve!

what do they put in the petrie dish though? or maybe i don't want to know.

yeah, actually i'm pretty sure that knowing it will just up the ick factor for me, but i'm curious. is it just sitting there dry while it grows? or is there some kind of amniotic-type fluid-y thing going on.

• MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    @ Aaron - I can understand that. I'm actually connecting with guys like you right now, ironically, as part of my consulting business. It's an exciting time for Genetic Engineering in therapeutic medicine. To me, it's about time that we finally go to the root of illness as opposed to masking illnesses with pain meds (or surgery, which is advanced but I'm not certain always necessary). I'm certainly not a scientist but I do find it incredible the pace of advancements in that field (and all the money being thrown into new potential drugs).

Maybe I'm too stupid to understand, but I think I agree with you completely. I do think the more we learn about the human body, the less we find out we actually knew. When someone says this is that is the only way to look at things when it comes to health, I guess I'm not sure anyone's sure of what makes us healthy/ill any longer so I get tired of all the rigid thinking too. I do think we'll all have a lot clearer understanding in 10/15 years. I read articles posted by some of my VC contacts all the time (most I don't honestly understand all that well) but I read one this morning about not only protein therapy advancements but the ability to "switch off" a potentially harmful DNA's ability to do damage (I suppose that is genetically damaged or predisposed to be harmful).

I am very aware that genetic engineering can have huge benefits and important implications for us all.

Shameless self-promotion but the public backlash against GMOs and specifically the labeling movement I was witnessing actually bothered me enough to right an OP ED about it which Forbes published:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/realspin/2015/12/22/you-cant-judge-a-product-by-a-gmo-label/

I read your article and really enjoyed it! I know it also frustrates you that many equate Genetic Engineering to the realm of agriculture only, but just saw this today on LinkedIn (I'm connected to the founders of Indigo). Just an example that when people generalize about Genetic Engineering, even within agriculture, there are tremendously useful applications. If someone, like me, isn't thrilled with the idea of their foods being buried with Round-Up (another controversial subject), there is hope on the horizon through, ironically, genetic engineering.

When people paint genetic engineering with such a limited and generalized brush, they really show they just don't understand it and what it can do.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-04-16/indigo-s-scientists-are-replacing-pesticides-with-bacteria
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Yes. If they make it taste good and cost effective. And assuming it’s healthy and not going to cause cancer or something lolz
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,506 Member
    Options
    I would absolutely not eat this lab grown meat or anything gmo if all possible. What people fail to understand is how these engineered foods can affect and irreparibly harm the genetics of you during your life and generations after you. For example GMO soy in rat studies has shown decreasing fertility each generation until the babies are eventually sterile. See articles on naturalnews.com. As the food supply continues to be polluted dna and epigenetic damage will be the result. Eating this stuff has far reaching inter-generational consequences. The best weapon is information, I reccomend you do your research.
    Unless you're raising your own food and eating it, all foods are "engineered" to a point. And look at kids today. They are bigger, faster and more athletic than prior decades. "Natural News" only prints what they want you to see and HARDLY ever do unbiased study articles.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,506 Member
    Options
    And really for all the "naturalists" out there, we're the only species that drives vehicles to work rather than run or walk, buys our food at stores or vendors rather than hunt or collect them daily, and have sex for enjoyment more than for breeding. Don't speak of being "natural" unless you're really willing to follow how our ancestors previously lived.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Aaron_K123
    edited April 2018
    Options
    There are two major indicators of general health, life expectancy and child mortality. You take a look at that data over time and you see truly how much progress the world has made over the past 50 years. I really don't think people are aware of this. I am going to link something. It isn't an article written by someone, or a blog post, or a study...it is just a 6-dimension chart. It is going to Google's public data explorer and selecting the world census databank and selecting the following:

X-axis: Life Expectancy
    Y-axis: Child Mortality
    Color: Region
    Bubble: Country
    Bubble Size: Population.
    Slider: Time

https://www.google.com/publicdata/explore?ds=d5bncppjof8f9_&ctype=b&strail=false&nselm=s&met_x=sp_dyn_le00_in&scale_x=lin&ind_x=false&met_y=sp_dyn_tfrt_in&scale_y=lin&ind_y=false&met_s=sp_pop_totl&scale_s=lin&ind_s=false&dimp_c=country:region&ifdim=country&iconSize=0.5&uniSize=0.035#!ctype=b&strail=false&bcs=d&nselm=s&met_x=sp_dyn_le00_in&scale_x=lin&ind_x=false&met_s=sp_pop_totl&scale_s=lin&ind_s=false&dimp_c=country:region&met_y=sh_dyn_mort&scale_y=lin&ind_y=false&ifdim=country&pit=-305571600000&hl=en_US&dl=en_US&ind=false

Slide the slider all the way to the left to 1960 and then press play. That has what technology has done. Third-world really used to mean something...people still use it but it really doesn't mean what it used to. The world has really gotten a lot better and yet it seems like most of the public in developed nations on the internet think we are all dying and its starbucks fault because of what they put in their carmel macchiatos. The fact that people are just simply oblivious to how much progress we have made and act like the opposite is happening and turn their nose up at labs is just so depressing.
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    Oh Hell No
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Tigg_er wrote: »
    Oh Hell No

Care to elaborate?
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Depends on the taste and cost. I've had yet to have the opportunity to try it. But, I am open to the idea.
  • JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I'll try anything once.
  • HealthyAndSober2018
    HealthyAndSober2018 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. I love red meat. Lab-grown meat would greatly reduce the number of greenhouse gases produced from raising cattle. Sure, the idea of food being made in a lab might be strange, but artificial ingredients are used in food all the time. In a way, lab-grown meat may be healthier than from cattle raised in feedlots. There isn't the risk of Mad Cow Disease or being exposed to antibiotics used in cattle.

Lab-grown meat also makes sense in countries where there is little farmland to raise cattle. Singapore, for an example, mainly relies on overpriced imported beef due to the lack of farmland. When the technology is advanced enough, it could make beef more affordable for people in such areas.

Just like electric cars, I think lab-grown meats is one of those things that be the norm in the future. It's a question of how long that'll take for that to happen, though.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Another article about this today. Now labeling wars are starting. I wonder if this is a good thing, as in, if this means lab-grown meat is expected to gain traction in the near future or if it's just noise.

https://slate.com/technology/2018/07/should-lab-grown-meat-be-called-meat.html
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Yeah, definitely. The information I've seen about it so far says it will likely end up with a better nutritional profile, significantly fewer ethical issues around consumption, vastly lowered environmental impact, and lower cost than animal meat. I understand the results aren't perfect yet with regard to taste and texture, but I assume eventually those factors will be corrected. Sign me up!
  • Leslierussell4134
    Leslierussell4134 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    no over run with steroids or antibiotics, or whatever else they put into food for mass production for this ever growing population. personally, I totally approve!

yeah, actually i'm pretty sure that knowing it will just up the ick factor for me, but i'm curious. is it just sitting there dry while it grows? or is there some kind of amniotic-type fluid-y thing going on.

They put the cells in the dish, then they have created a serum that's makes the cells believe that hard still in the host body, so they begin to replicate and grow into muscle tissue. The serum is made of animal blood at this point, they're working on using a plant based serum in the future. So really there isn't any difference, as animal blood is already mixed in with all meat you currently eat.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

They put the cells in the dish, then they have created a serum that's makes the cells believe that hard still in the host body, so they begin to replicate and grow into muscle tissue. The serum is made of animal blood at this point, they're working on using a plant based serum in the future. So really there isn't any difference, as animal blood is already mixed in with all meat you currently eat.

Specifically it has to be the blood of a virgin goat sacrificed on a marble slab during the solstice. They are still working out the kinks.
  • Leslierussell4134
    Leslierussell4134 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »

Specifically it has to be the blood of a virgin goat sacrificed on a marble slab during the solstice. They are still working out the kinks.

😂
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    My husband can't wait for this, he thinks it's the best idea since sliced bread lol! I'm not against it, but still trying to get used to the idea.. I love animals but I'm also a meat eater so I really like the idea of being able to not harm animals and enjoy my food more without the guilt!
  • kristingjertsen
    kristingjertsen Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    My grandparents used to complain that supermarket meat and chicken tasted nothing like "real meat" and "real chicken" does. They both grew up on farms, eating homegrown veggies, collecting eggs from the chicken house, keeping a cow for milk, butter, buttermilk, and cheese, and raising and slaughtering pigs, chicken, and beef for home consumption and sale. My great granddaddy even smoked his own country hams). The few times I was luck enough to eat the "real stuff" I had to agree with them. Nothing beats a southern plate of homegrown and home raised food. I suspect our descendants will be eating lab grown meat and seeing our consumption of living animals as somewhat disgusting and archaic.