Who's getting 130g protein on 1800 cals (or just about)

Options
britzzie
britzzie Posts: 341 Member
First, let me say, I know there are threads out there. I've looked at most of them. A lot of those people are vegetarians or are going off the MFP standard of protein, which is waaaay lower than what I'm going for. I know the best sources: lean meats, low fat dairy, cheese, beans (meh) etc. I just cannot seem to figure out how to get enough AND eat my fruits and veggies, pastas, ice creams....

So...if you are getting around 130 grams of protein on 1800 calories and have an open diary, could you please post here and let me know, so I can look at your foods and then copy them because you are awesome?

Thanks! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• pluckabee
    pluckabee Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I don't really want to open my diary but I can give you an idea of what I eat in a day!!

I usually have 0% fat greek yoghurt, dark chocolate and almond butter for breakfast and some slices of smoked salmon ~35g protein

lunch is usually some form of meat(lamb steak, beef steak or chicken) with a salad ~35-40g protein

dinner is usually a chicken stir fry (at least 150g) with veggies ~35 - 45g protein

then if I want to up my protein i have a protein shake, if I'm feeling like a treat i'll mix it with some chocolate ice cream ~25 protein

I eat around 1700 calories a day and aim for 120g of protein as a minimum. I can sometimes reach that without the protein shake if i have cheese and nuts for snacks.

I don't eat pasta, bread or rice much though but the leaner your protein is (chicken breast instead of chicken thigh for example or don't have read meat daily like I do) the more carbs you should be able to fit in there
  • cals83
    cals83 Posts: 131
    Options
    What about protein powders?
  • britzzie
    Options
    Thanks for your responses and being willing to help. My hangups are this:

I have to say though eating massive slabs of meat (ie: 10oz of steak or 8oz of chicken breast) in one sitting are sort of unappealing to me. How do I get over that?

Quest bars look like a good bet, but are soooo expensive!

As far as protein powders, I like to eat my food. I have some whey protein that I'll use on occasion, but I definitely prefer chewing to drinking.
  • pluckabee
    pluckabee Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your responses and being willing to help. My hangups are this:

I have to say though eating massive slabs of meat (ie: 10oz of steak or 8oz of chicken breast) in one sitting are sort of unappealing to me. How do I get over that?

Quest bars look like a good bet, but are soooo expensive!

As far as protein powders, I like to eat my food. I have some whey protein that I'll use on occasion, but I definitely prefer chewing to drinking.

Maybe having more meals in a day would work for you? So you don't have to eat a huge chunk of meat all at once. Or when you have a meal cook all the meat, and put away a bit just to eat it on it's own as a snack later?

You'll want to maximise your non meat proteins like cheese and greek yoghurt. Cottage cheese is great and is really good as a topping on sweet potato.

You can make your own protein bars with protein powder if you don't want to drink it. Just make a bunch and keep them in the freezer until you need them.

You don't have to have a protein shake every day but I find on the days that I want to have a treat, if I also want to reach protein and calorie goals a protein shake can help me do that.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    First, let me say, I know there are threads out there. I've looked at most of them. A lot of those people are vegetarians or are going off the MFP standard of protein, which is waaaay lower than what I'm going for. I know the best sources: lean meats, low fat dairy, cheese, beans (meh) etc. I just cannot seem to figure out how to get enough AND eat my fruits and veggies, pastas, ice creams....

So...if you are getting around 130 grams of protein on 1800 calories and have an open diary, could you please post here and let me know, so I can look at your foods and then copy them because you are awesome?

Thanks! :flowerforyou:

Sarauk2sf is a vegetarian (tougher to get in protein due to restrictions on food selection), on 1600 calories, and getting in 160g protein.
  • britzzie
    Options
    Sarauk2sf is a vegetarian (tougher to get in protein due to restrictions on food selection), on 1600 calories, and getting in 160g protein.

Yep! I tried to cheese in on her diary, but sadly it's closed. Not saying it's not possible. Just trying to find a way to make it happen for me with my personal food preferences!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    You can consume protein powder w/o drinking it.

Take 1 serving of 0% plain greek yogurt.
    Add 1 scoop of whey protein.
    Stir thoroughly. Add mix ins like berries if you want.

Greek yogurt: 18protein, 100 kcal
    Whey protein: 24protein, 120kcal

That's 42g protein and 220kcal. That's a significant protein contribution at only 220 kcals and you are eating it instead of drinking it.
  • britzzie
    Options

That's 42g protein and 220kcal. That's a significant protein contribution at only 220 kcals and you are eating it instead of drinking it.

This may be a little bit of genius right here. Thank you!

These are the kind of ingenious hacks that I'm looking for! Anybody else have some wonderful tricks?
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    This is generally around my goals. My diary is open feel free to glance through. I broke my foot about 8 weeks ago and have been crap about logging since but if you go back far enough I used to log just about every single thing every single day.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I get from 150 to 180 on 1700-1900 cals
    I do have 2 protein shakes a day though

You can take a look at my diary if you want :)
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I get about 140grams of protein on around a 3000 calorie diet. I run so I need my carbs as well. Oh, and I'm vegetarian.
  • 58Rock
    58Rock Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    1422 cal yesteday with 128 grms of protien. About average lately now that I have shifted my focus to increase my protein intake. I will try to reset my diary.
  • A_Warrior_Princess
    A_Warrior_Princess Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I am just starting to up my protein and really trying to get into matching my macros of protein, carbs and fats. Feel free to look at my diary if you would like. Hope it helps and Good Luck to you!
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options

I have my plain greek yougurt with protein powder (chocolate or vanilla) and fruit
    Chocolate casein powder mixed with 1/4 of recommended amount of milk = chocolate pudding
  • nadz6012
    nadz6012 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Low fat cottage cheese is one of my protein staples. It's an acquired taste, but at ~70 calories its got about 11 or 12 grams of protein. I sweeten it with splenda and add fruit for dessert!
  • MissKalhan
    MissKalhan Posts: 2,282 Member
    Options
    I get about 150g to 200g depending on the day using around 1700 to 1800 calories. My diary is open :)
  • Atishi87
    Atishi87 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    You can see my diary. I try to get 150 grams of protein atleast. I do around 1700 calories (starting this week), I was at 1400-1500 previously and still got around 130 grams.
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I don't really want to open my diary but I can give you an idea of what I eat in a day!!

I usually have 0% fat greek yoghurt, dark chocolate and almond butter for breakfast and some slices of smoked salmon ~35g protein

lunch is usually some form of meat(lamb steak, beef steak or chicken) with a salad ~35-40g protein

dinner is usually a chicken stir fry (at least 150g) with veggies ~35 - 45g protein

then if I want to up my protein i have a protein shake, if I'm feeling like a treat i'll mix it with some chocolate ice cream ~25 protein

I eat around 1700 calories a day and aim for 120g of protein as a minimum. I can sometimes reach that without the protein shake if i have cheese and nuts for snacks.

I don't eat pasta, bread or rice much though but the leaner your protein is (chicken breast instead of chicken thigh for example or don't have read meat daily like I do) the more carbs you should be able to fit in there

WOW your really healthy............Nice food!!!

I might have to try your breakfast........Sounds so yummy!!! I usually have porridge with peanut butter....so yummy!!