Who's getting 130g protein on 1800 cals (or just about)

Options

Replies

• husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I'm in a similar boat and am planning on getting some protein powder to help. Thanks for all the suggestions!
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    maybe shouldn't be joining in as i'm on 1200 but i do usually get over 100g - so proportionally you'd just need to make my meals bigger :) - feel free to have a nosy.

i just try to make sure there is some protein in every meal or snack - if anything its a great excuse for nutella =D
  • EmilyJackCO
    EmilyJackCO Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Bump for ideas....

I'm trying to hit 120g on 1700 calories, and it's really tough. I have found that the Nature's Valley protein granola is a great add in to my Greek Yogurt, but that's all I got so far. And whey isolate protein supplements... which aren't really enough either.

My problem is that I'm decidedly a carnivore, but I'm LAZY! :D
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    I also don't like big slabs of meat which is why I like jerky. It's like they deslab it just for me. I also bring a few sticks of light string cheese to work as a snack, and like another poster add protein powder to my oatmeal.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Many days I get 175-220 grams of protein and eat between 1500 - 1600 calories.
  • ketchupqueen
    Options
    Just bumping to keep following these fantastic ideas!
  • annakow
    annakow Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    My MFP set my intake to 1260 after losing 61 lbs, My protein intake should be up to 47 a day but I usually double it myself.
  • kerricolby
    kerricolby Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Check out my diary, I eat about 1750 a day and try to get 130 grams or more protein a day. I'm better at this on weekdays than on weekends.
  • lorigem
    lorigem Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    You can consume protein powder w/o drinking it.

Take 1 serving of 0% plain greek yogurt.
    Add 1 scoop of whey protein.
    Stir thoroughly. Add mix ins like berries if you want.

Greek yogurt: 18protein, 100 kcal
    Whey protein: 24protein, 120kcal

That's 42g protein and 220kcal. That's a significant protein contribution at only 220 kcals and you are eating it instead of drinking it.

That is friggin' awesome. Thanks for that tip!!
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    Some of my favorite foods that have a good amount of protein, but are also on the low calorie side (leaving plenty of room for ice cream and other fun stuff), include....

tuna (and lots of other types of fish)
    beef jerky
    protein powder
    greek yogurt (specifically dannon light & fit)
    chicken breast
  • missjedda
    missjedda Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine follows a high protein diet and she adds protein powder to many meals cos she doesn't like the shakes alone. She puts it in porridge, bircher muesli ( along with Greek yogurt) and makes this pudding by putting cottage cheese and protein powder in a blender, then adding a packet of diet jelly (made up with water like normal) and sets it in cups. It's pretty yum for dessert and packs a good amount of protein
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Egg whites! Maybe the best ratio of protein to calories out there, in terms of a natural food. 20 grams of protein for 100 calories. for a filling omelet: 3/4 cup of egg white (100 calories), an ounce of light shredded cheese (45 calories, 5 grams protein) , vegetables of your choice to go inside with the cheese (spinach? mushrooms?) and once folded and on the plate, a couple of tablespoons of salsa over the top. Good veggies and proteins, a good-sized omelet for about 170 calories with 25 grams of protein. filling, stays with you, easy to make.

But I use egg whites for more than that. I cook them up and chop them and add to a chilled Spanish tomato soup called salmorejo, great for hot summer days. you add them cold, as a garnish while serving. Also good in the salmorejo is a little lean ham and/or nonfat ricotta cheese. very filling because the tomato soup is lots of volume (there's also a little olive oil in there; I do not make the salmorejo with bread), but the added protein makes it a more substantial meal with lasting power. stir-fry the egg into pad thai (I make the pad thai with shirataki noodles so no cals) with some bean sprouts and shredded carrots.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

That's 42g protein and 220kcal. That's a significant protein contribution at only 220 kcals and you are eating it instead of drinking it.

This may be a little bit of genius right here. Thank you!

These are the kind of ingenious hacks that I'm looking for! Anybody else have some wonderful tricks?

Sidesteel is definitely a genius when it comes to recipes with whey protein powder.
  • jbuck93
    jbuck93 Posts: 89 Member
    Options

Put it in the freezer for a bit.... delish!

My diary is open to my friends. My goal is to have my carbs and protein equal. I use greek yogurt on/in all kinds of things. Sour cream substitute, mix with powdered ranch and eat with veggies, etc.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    I am usually around 1800-2000 cal/day with a goal of ~130 g protein. I haven't been logging well the past month or so, but I do have some good stretches a few months ago if you are willing to dig. Diary is open. I rarely do any protein powders. I do bake with it though in cookies and cheese cakes. Just an extra protein boost to make the chocolate chip cookies that much better.

I eat 3 meals and 2-3 snacks a day and try to get protein in with each thing. I don't do the whole "You need to eat every 2-3 hours" or hold to the 6 small meals a day ideology, I just find it easier for me to keep up with the intake and spread it out. I can't handle large amounts of protein in one meal. Spread out, I can do fine.

ETA: May was a decent logging month for me. I don't always log on the weekends though and the current week is incomplete days.
  • jess4fun
    jess4fun Posts: 20
    Options
    Thx for this thread. I've been wanting to post on this too. I'm trying to increase protein cuz i realized that I'm kind of a carbovore. Getting 160 grams of protein for me is a challenge without blowing through my other macros, and I love meat. I think it's has a lot to do with convenience. My new goal is it keep poached chicken on hand for snacks and such. I don't like low fat foods or anything with non sugar sweeteners, they all taste weird to me, even stevia is bitter. I think getting enough protein for those of us not used to it is really a matter planning ahead. Good luck.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    I start my day with 1 cup of cottage cheese - 24g protein - and fruit.

Add black beans or other beans/lentils to salads, etc to add fiber & protein

At least 8 oz lean protein for lunch and dinner (combined)

End the day with a protein smoothie/shake as dessert (protein powder, whole milk, frozen banana, berries)
  • britzzie
    britzzie Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your input! I really appreciate it!
  • indiawastaken
    indiawastaken Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering the same thing, I'm glad you posted this!
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    My diary is open and you're welcome to look. I do use protein powder (mostly in the morning as I'm not really a breakfast person) and protein bars (usually before or after a workout).