• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »
    You could lose weight eating off the dollar menu too. Might not be the healthiest, but you either want this and are ready for it, or you don't and you're not. It's all about choices. We were all not ready at one point in time. Maybe you're just not there yet.

I've been fat my whole life and I don't want to be... how am I not ready

You aren't willing to put in the effort to do it. You're making excuses such as not being able to afford to eat less food. If you are married to the idea of the dollar menu, go once a day instead of twice. Or simply order fewer $1 items each time you go.

Yeah because my $5 a day I have to spend is obviously going to get me A TON at the grocery store

$5 a day is $35 a week and I could shop healthy on that. *shrug* How bad do you want it?

Pretty bad

And I get paid daily. Not weekly.

This is going to sound rude, or crazy, or both, but: You know that you don't have to spend all your money at once, right?

I made 80$ a day. After bills I have to put money away for I have 5$ a day for food

And what do you normally spend that $5 on today, off of the dollar menu? Same thing every day? How many meals? Have you tried logging the calories of those foods? How does it compare to the calorie goal that MFP provides you, when you put in your stats and a goal?

I usually get a chicken wrap at 3pm and 8pm some times I have a bagel in the morning

You didn't get to be close to 300 lbs eating nothing but a chicken wrap twice a day and a bagel in the morning....

The chicken wraps are under 500 cals, and the bagel likely is as well. That's 1500 calories. What else are you eating/drinking?

Idk. Sometimes I eat ice cream at night. I drink crystal light

Ice cream and crystal light on an extreme financial budget?

I reiterate - it doesn't seem like you are serious about all of this.

I'm just starting. Literally haven't started yet. I can't eat for 72 hours so I'm starting friday. Obviously that's not what I will be consuming when I start

Sigh. Why can't you eat for 72 hours?

Doesn't matter when you start - you said that your budget was $5/day and it was too expensive to diet. I'm simply pointing out that ice cream and crystal light are hardly "essential" items for someone who is on a budget. Doesn't matter whether you intend to keep eating them or not - you are eating them now.

I'm not the one buying it? And I have to drink a shake from the hospital every 8 hours for 72 hours

So your financial situation is not as dire as you make it to be? If you have people buying you ice cream and crystal light they can buy you healthy food.

I buy my own food. My roommate always has a ton of ice cream because he takes it home from work. I have some. My work gives out crystal light samples. So I put it in my water

Gotcha... So you have gotten plenty of good advice in this thread, are you going to implement any of it?
  • LahrysaTebo2015
    LahrysaTebo2015 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    You could lose weight eating off the dollar menu too. Might not be the healthiest, but you either want this and are ready for it, or you don't and you're not. It's all about choices. We were all not ready at one point in time. Maybe you're just not there yet.

You aren't willing to put in the effort to do it. You're making excuses such as not being able to afford to eat less food. If you are married to the idea of the dollar menu, go once a day instead of twice. Or simply order fewer $1 items each time you go.

Yeah because my $5 a day I have to spend is obviously going to get me A TON at the grocery store

$5 a day is $35 a week and I could shop healthy on that. *shrug* How bad do you want it?

Pretty bad

This is going to sound rude, or crazy, or both, but: You know that you don't have to spend all your money at once, right?

I made 80$ a day. After bills I have to put money away for I have 5$ a day for food

And what do you normally spend that $5 on today, off of the dollar menu? Same thing every day? How many meals? Have you tried logging the calories of those foods? How does it compare to the calorie goal that MFP provides you, when you put in your stats and a goal?

I usually get a chicken wrap at 3pm and 8pm some times I have a bagel in the morning

You didn't get to be close to 300 lbs eating nothing but a chicken wrap twice a day and a bagel in the morning....

The chicken wraps are under 500 cals, and the bagel likely is as well. That's 1500 calories. What else are you eating/drinking?

I'm just starting. Literally haven't started yet. I can't eat for 72 hours so I'm starting friday. Obviously that's not what I will be consuming when I start

Doesn't matter when you start - you said that your budget was $5/day and it was too expensive to diet. I'm simply pointing out that ice cream and crystal light are hardly "essential" items for someone who is on a budget. Doesn't matter whether you intend to keep eating them or not - you are eating them now.

I'm not the one buying it? And I have to drink a shake from the hospital every 8 hours for 72 hours

So your financial situation is not as dire as you make it to be? If you have people buying you ice cream and crystal light they can buy you healthy food.

I buy my own food. My roommate always has a ton of ice cream because he takes it home from work. I have some. My work gives out crystal light samples. So I put it in my water

Gotcha... So you have gotten plenty of good advice in this thread, are you going to implement any of it?

Yes, sir.
  • LahrysaTebo2015
    Options

Pretty bad

Clearly, I'm bored today too. Why do you have to drink a shake from the hospital every 8 hours for 72 hours?

I'd rather not put it on here if you'd like to private message me I'd be happy to explain
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Learn to budget. If it's a skill you have not cultivated, it may seem difficult and complex. It's not. You'll have to budget your money and you calories to lose weight healthily.
  • LahrysaTebo2015
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    Okay well if you have 72 hours off food that means you'll have saved $15 in dollar menu funds to put towards some of the meal stretching staples suggested previously, which will in turn defray your initial costs. Hallelujah, the hospital has saved the day!

I am working on a list to buy for Friday because I have someone who just told me they will start helping me with groceries if I'm serious about eating healthier
  • RUNucbar
    RUNucbar Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    My food budget is also very tight, £3 per day which works out at less than $5. If you add me as a friend I'd be happy to help you figure out how to get the ball rolling and start losing weight on a tight budget.
  • monicastryin
    monicastryin Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    For $30 per week could buy lunch meat, cheese, low calorie/ carb bread Or there are grocery stores that have a "Pick 5" meaning for $19.99 you can pick 5 different meats and with the remaining money you can buy can goods or even frozen veggies for the week. There are other options. Good luck to you.
  • LahrysaTebo2015
    Options
    Ok - I'm not trying to be rude OP, but you have 4 threads going at once. It seems like you are getting tons of great advice in all of them, but you continue to make excuses.
    You can't get to a gym.
    You don't have money for "healthy" food.

A gym is not required to lose weight. Period.
    You can make better choices on a budget. I do it every single week.
    Do I always eat exactly what I want? No. I buy what is on sale and try to stock up on staples (rice, beans) when I have extra money.
    I also shop at local farmers markets for produce, it's generally cheaper than the chain grocery stores.
    I make large casseroles or stews and individually package them for lunches at work. I have not gone out to lunch in a month.
    I have eggs for breakfast every single morning. They are .89/dozen where I live.

At this point, I feel like you are trolling. Either way, I wish you the best.

I'm genuinely trying to learn what to do with what I have. Thank you very much
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    english muffins (6 pack) are $0.99 a dozen eggs is little more than that... that sounds like a lot of meals for the price of a drive thru meal. If you're getting a drink and a mcdouble a couple times a day, that's already a week's worth of english muffins and eggs. Water is free to drink so choose that :)
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Ok - I'm not trying to be rude OP, but you have 4 threads going at once. It seems like you are getting tons of great advice in all of them, but you continue to make excuses.
    You can't get to a gym.
    You don't have money for "healthy" food.

A gym is not required to lose weight. Period.
    You can make better choices on a budget. I do it every single week.
    Do I always eat exactly what I want? No. I buy what is on sale and try to stock up on staples (rice, beans) when I have extra money.
    I also shop at local farmers markets for produce, it's generally cheaper than the chain grocery stores.
    I make large casseroles or stews and individually package them for lunches at work. I have not gone out to lunch in a month.
    I have eggs for breakfast every single morning. They are .89/dozen where I live.

At this point, I feel like you are trolling. Either way, I wish you the best.

I'm genuinely trying to learn what to do with what I have. Thank you very much

Eat less, move more.

Walking is free, running is free.
  • nm212
    nm212 Posts: 570 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    You can live off of rice & beans...and it's one of the cheapest foods out there, especially when you buy in bulk. Beans are a complete protein. Just FYI ...The nutritional benefits are off the roof! Lots of fiber too...