Apples!! Holy s**t

13»

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Apples are extremely healthy for you. Its healthy sugar, fruit has a lot of healthy sugar, don't worry about it. It a different kind of sugar compared to doughnuts and cookies. Eat fruit!!

So the sucrose in the apple is different from the sucrose in a cookie, how?

It is fructose in fruit, sucrose in cookie.

The difference is that fructose in your blood does not usually stimulate pancreatic insulin production whereas sucrose stimulates insulin from the pancreas so that the sucrose (which is now broken down into glucose) may be transported into the tissues.

Sucrose and fructose are different.

Hmmmm, apples only contain fructose? Might want to do a little more research there

Well I will tell you what, YOU do the research and get back to us all, we are all ears :)

Expand the carb section, then you should prob write them and tell them fruits only have fructose

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fruits-and-fruit-juices/1809/2

I was merely answering a post about the difference between cookies and apples. Which I did :)

I never once said anything about apples ONLY having fructose, I said about the DIFFERENCE between apples and cookies.

Cookies have sucrose, apples have fructose :)

Which was never the question posed, it was specifically asked about the sucrose in an apple and a cookie

"It a different kind of sugar compared to doughnuts and cookies"
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    The seeds contain cyanide and it was the apple that tempted Eve and lead to the downfall of all man kind. Dont eat apples they will kill you and make God turn from you.

Are Apple Jacks okay? .... probably not. They're kind of gross, too.
    hahahahahahaha
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Find something besides sugar to track - MFP's limit on that is notoriously lulzy. One of the things that happened when I started moving away from prepackaged things was that I got a sugar bowl. Yes, as in a bowl full of white sugar. Reality is, sugar tastes good and I feel that a certain amount of even the empty calorie variety is worth it for the sake of making my current way of eating more likely to stick. I have berries, melons, even agave nectar and -gasp- plain sugar in things... in reasonable amounts. And it's not a bad thing.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    3. I mean c'mon, who has ever said, "Man, I really regret eating that _____ (fruit)" lol

Actually, me. An apple's worth of calories more than I wanted to eat is still that many calories I have to compensate for later, apple or no.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,656 Member
    Apples are extremely healthy for you. Its healthy sugar, fruit has a lot of healthy sugar, don't worry about it. It a different kind of sugar compared to doughnuts and cookies. Eat fruit!!

It is fructose in fruit, sucrose in cookie.

The difference is that fructose in your blood does not usually stimulate pancreatic insulin production whereas sucrose stimulates insulin from the pancreas so that the sucrose (which is now broken down into glucose) may be transported into the tissues.

Sucrose and fructose are different.

Hmmmm, apples only contain fructose? Might want to do a little more research there

Well I will tell you what, YOU do the research and get back to us all, we are all ears :)

Expand the carb section, then you should prob write them and tell them fruits only have fructose

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fruits-and-fruit-juices/1809/2

I was merely answering a post about the difference between cookies and apples. Which I did :)

I never once said anything about apples ONLY having fructose, I said about the DIFFERENCE between apples and cookies.

Cookies have sucrose, apples have fructose :)

Which was never the question posed, it was specifically asked about the sucrose in an apple and a cookie

"It a different kind of sugar compared to doughnuts and cookies"
    If ya say so :)
  • __Di__
    Sugar is Sugar to a diabetic. But I normally eat apples (low-carbing right now). They are so good for you. I eat protein with my apple (peanut butter spread on slices, or string cheese, or a piece of chicken/turkey). The protein will keep sugars in check which you enjoy the healthy benefits of the apple.

but ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS buy organic. You want to eat the peel AND you don't want to eat the pesticide!!!! I miss apples and will definitely add them back in when I up my carbs a bit.

Out of interest, what fruits is it diabetics can eat some of? Is it the citrus fruits they have to steer clear of?
  • mathag
    mathag Posts: 2 Member
    Going back to your original question I had a similar reaction to tracking grapes this morning. One of my thoughts was that realistically what I had wasn't just one serving and it was a lot of sugar. I do agree apples are good for you but I'm not sure three for breakfast is necessarily the best thing for you either. (Of course it's WAY better than 3 donuts or cookies or whatever)
    however I observed my sugar levels rocketed after eating 3 apples fro breakfast and wondered how on earth I was going to be able to manage them.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    wow, there's some really messed up ideas of what different sugars are and how our body uses them.

so first of all, depending on the fruit, you will see varying ratios of sucrose and fructose (and glucose). Apples, in this case, are mostly Fructose (about 60% or so of their sugar), with the remainder split between sucrose and glucose.

Why is this important? Well, there were tantalizing hints throughout the thread, people touched on certain aspects of carbohydrate metabolism, but let me try to put it all together.

1st, fructose is a monosaccharide, like glucose, whereas sucrose is a disaccharide (and cannot be used for fuel without being further broken down). Fructose cannot be used as a fuel directly by the body (it's the wrong kind of saccharide) think of it like Diesel fuel if you have a regular car, without a way to convert it, it's useless. Only glucose (of the 5 major monosaccharides available) can be used by the body. In other words, eat glucose and it can be absorbed directly through any digestive tissue such as the mouth, throat, stomach, and intestines. So it is processed very quickly in the body, fructose on the other hand is only broken down in the intestines. So there's the first reason why fructose is better for you, it gives you a slower "burn" because it takes longer to become fuel.
    Sucrose is 1 fructose and 1 glucose molecule, not only does this mean table sugar is processed quickly, but studies also prove that Fructose is absorbed faster when in the presence of glucose in a 1to1 ratio. Thus table sugar gives you that "sugar high" where the same amount of sugar from say an apple, would do no such thing.

Add to that the concept of fiber and where the molecules are in relation to digestion (this was touched on in prior posts), fiber is indigestible, which means it must be separated from the other parts of a food before that food can be used. This takes time, slowing the digestion rate.

See, the main problem with sugar is how fast it is used, if something isn't put in place to slow it down, your body has no governor as to how much sugar to pump into your body, that's why people have sugar highs and lows. The body regulates by faster absorption (insulin) and usage as opposed to governing how fast it releases sugar. Fructose, since it can't be used directly, is a much slower acting form of energy because it must first travel to the intestines, then must be cleaved into it's base atoms where it can enter the glucose metabolism and be reformed into glucose.
  • meadow_sage
    meadow_sage Posts: 308 Member

The difference between an apple an a cookie is the fiber content and nutrients. A cookie is going to burn faster than an apple and it's not going to fill you up. Yes, a gram of sugar is a gram of sugar but the sugar is not the only thing to look at. A person should not go on an apple diet because of the sugar but apples are a healthy food, in moderation.

Tbh...this is a huge debate among experts...so, it's one of those things where you have to gain as facts as possible and make your own judgement. What is right for you?
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    I laugh inside a little every time people say that the sugar in fruit is "different" and our bodies "know" what to do with it. No, I laugh a lot.
  • kikokateyy
    kikokateyy Posts: 136 Member
    Sugar is Sugar to a diabetic. But I normally eat apples (low-carbing right now). They are so good for you. I eat protein with my apple (peanut butter spread on slices, or string cheese, or a piece of chicken/turkey). The protein will keep sugars in check which you enjoy the healthy benefits of the apple.

but ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS buy organic. You want to eat the peel AND you don't want to eat the pesticide!!!! I miss apples and will definitely add them back in when I up my carbs a bit.

Out of interest, what fruits is it diabetics can eat some of? Is it the citrus fruits they have to steer clear of?

If they're on Metformin, they have to stay away from grapefruit....
  • __Di__

If they're on Metformin, they have to stay away from grapefruit....

Ahh thanks!

A bloke in work found out he was diabetic a little while ago and was wondering what fruits (if any) he could eat. I didn't have a clue what was possible or not.

If I were diabetic, that is one of the things I really would miss eating - fruit.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Holy crap. People, go to your chemistry classes. And seriously, apples have quite a bit of fructose, but they also have a quite a bit of all the other nutrients you need. I love apples for the energy and juice and whatever. If you don't want calories, then don't eat. Are you all freaking insane??? You need some energy to get by. Apples are full of great energy and vitamins.

Apples don't fit in my macros at this time. Not insane, just a different way of achieving my fitness goals.
  • This is a really good article that talks about sugar, which triggers insulin, which triggers fat storage!

http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/sugar-myth-eating-too-much-accident-150600845.html
  • Great to read all your views on sugar, apples etc...seems as though there's a mixed bag of opinions!

Agree, the apple has to be crunchy or forget it - Straight in the bin.
  • be_patient
    be_patient Posts: 186 Member
    yes, sucrose from an apple is the same as sucrose from a cookie, but it's naturally occurring.

And here's why apple sugar is better than cookie sugar-because in an apple, the sugar is accompanied by fiber, which assists in slower digestion (if I remember correctly) and therefore does not spike insulin levels.

Apple sugar all the way