• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Week 1 (1/2) standard push-ups: 25
  • RedSquadronLeader
    RedSquadronLeader Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I'm in! Whew I made the deadline! =)

Week 1 (1/2) Standard push-ups: 51. Diamond push-ups: 14. Took a good long rest in between. Trying to get better at the diamond variety.
  • captainfantastic94
    captainfantastic94 Posts: 1,745 Member
    Options
    Good job participating! Remember to only do one set, as many as you can
  • orlybayu
    orlybayu Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I'm in!
  • craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    Options
    33 standard push-ups. (Week 1 - first set only)

Cadence of 2 seconds. Down-Mississippi-Up-Mississippi. My objective is to eliminate all momentum between the down and the up so the muscle does all the work. 33 took 66 seconds so it's like chest workout and Plank (abs training) all in one.

I also focus on full range of movement, but am carful not to lock-out at the top. I want the muscles constantly working holding tension.

Remember this challenge is personal. At the start of the year I could not complete 10 like this. So my number is after 3 and a half months practice.

I hope to get to 40 by the end of the month.

I have loads of information on training to increase strength (and lean muscle) without supplements (drugs) or equipment. Happy to post if people want it. I'm only just now putting it into action. (Knowing is not doing).
  • craigo3154
    Options
    I'm in! Whew I made the deadline! =)

Week 1 (1/2) Standard push-ups: 51. Diamond push-ups: 14. Took a good long rest in between. Trying to get better at the diamond variety.

Great job. Happy you are on board.

You inspired me to find out about diamond push ups. Will have to try them to mix things up a bit.
  • captainfantastic94
    Options
    Great first day everyone! Keep up the amazing work!!
  • captainfantastic94
    Options
    Great first day everyone! Keep up the amazing work!!
    l88fa7d4021q.jpg

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    What if I start with classic and then drop to knees when I max at those? I haven't done pushups in a while, but that was one method of increasing them a bit more rapidly.
  • craigo3154
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    What if I start with classic and then drop to knees when I max at those? I haven't done pushups in a while, but that was one method of increasing them a bit more rapidly.

Exercises I will be referring to:

https://www.exercise.com/exercises/half-push-up
    https://www.exercise.com/exercises/push-up

Suggested progression:
    - 1/2 push up from knees
    - standard push up from knees
    - 1/2 push up from toes
    - standard push up from toes

Ensure you can do 10 reps of one before attempting the next on the list. As you work down the list the strength requirement for chest and arms increases.

Best to progress slowly and ensure you have good technique than rush and risk injury.

To progress quickly you must had good form, be willing to work to (and through) muscle fatigue and most importantly REST DAYS (full days where you do no push ups - to allow the muscle to repair and build).

All the best for good (injury free) progress.
  • captainfantastic94
    Options

When you drop, that's your max for that set, you can do a set of knee push-ups if you like and let us know how many you did! Rock it out!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

When you drop, that's your max for that set, you can do a set of knee push-ups if you like and let us know how many you did! Rock it out!

Thanks. It will be a low starting number, but I find they do build quickly.
  • amydover11
    amydover11 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Yesterday April 21 I did 14 classic pushup :)
  • RedSquadronLeader
    Options
    I love this challenge, guys :)

Curious for anyone's input - I see two common variants on the standard push-up: some people will have their arms a bit wider, and when they drop down let their elbows go more towards the outside. I've always found this really irritates one of my shoulders, so I focus on trying to keep my elbows in to my sides, pointed towards my heels.

Do any of you experience this shoulder pain? Any tips? I feel like the wider arm stance will recruit more of the chest muscles, which would be good for me in general, whereas the narrower arms lean a bit more towards triceps.
  • amydover11
    amydover11 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    This is tough! I did 21 today (not sure what name is, but arms on a bench instead of ground). Done my obligatory 2 per week now but may pop in later through the week as I'm doing the 100 days of exercise, and this helps with that. :smile:
  • craigo3154
    Options
    I love this challenge, guys :)

Curious for anyone's input - I see two common variants on the standard push-up: some people will have their arms a bit wider, and when they drop down let their elbows go more towards the outside. I've always found this really irritates one of my shoulders, so I focus on trying to keep my elbows in to my sides, pointed towards my heels.

Do any of you experience this shoulder pain? Any tips? I feel like the wider arm stance will recruit more of the chest muscles, which would be good for me in general, whereas the narrower arms lean a bit more towards triceps.

I have experienced the shoulder irritation you mention. For me it is usually when I have not had enough recovery time. The muscle balance between the chest and the triceps is out of balance and the force irritates the joint (tries to pull it out of alignment). As this is a bad type of discomfort (pain), do not try push through it.

Usually a day or two of rest from push ups (work on core and/or legs instead) does the trick for me.

I find there are two types of discomfort (pain). Exhaustion/fatigue and injury. First is good and helps you get stronger quicker; but needs to be managed carefully. Second is bad and needs immediate attention.

Wider does recruit more (and sometimes different) muscles. It just physics (force, levers/moments and inertia). There are many different variations on the push-up (with various difficulties). Look up exercise.com or athlean.

Body weight strength training can be as effective as free-weight training. It just takes some knowledge of physics and imagination.
  • captainfantastic94
    Options
    amydover11 wrote: »
    This is tough! I did 21 today (not sure what name is, but arms on a bench instead of ground). Done my obligatory 2 per week now but may pop in later through the week as I'm doing the 100 days of exercise, and this helps with that. :smile:
    Awesome! Those are incline push-ups, also you can put your feet on the bench and your hands on the ground for decline! This challenge is here to help you improve so any help for you doing that is awesome!
    [quote=

Thanks. It will be a low starting number, but I find they do build quickly.[/quote]
    All numbers are good numbers friend, just get working! Rock on!m9yu77col1z7.jpg

• SunflowerDaisey
    SunflowerDaisey Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Classic Push-ups
    Week 1 (1/2) - 9
    Week 1 (2/2) - 14

I'm excited to be getting better at these!
  • RedSquadronLeader
    Options
    Week 1 (2/2) Classic: 46 Diamond: 14

I once briefly considered OCS for the Navy nuclear program. Doing this kinda reminds me of trying to hit the peak standards for their physical fitness test - fun times, but I'm SO glad I never went through with that particular career choice.