"Why should I use a food scale?"

Options

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    sjaplo wrote: »
    For me - weighing pasta showed me that 84g per serving is about twice what I actually need to eat. I weigh out that amount for the two of us and then add whatever sauce.

When you first take the plunge and start weighing food - it is certainly an eye opener for some foods. I'm looking at you cheese, almonds, trail mix...........

I had a boss once who was fond of saying "If you can measure it, you can manage it." He was talking KPIs - but it fits for calorie counting and weight loss/gain.

Pasta is 56g per serving.
  • jennypapage
    jennypapage Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    For me - weighing pasta showed me that 84g per serving is about twice what I actually need to eat. I weigh out that amount for the two of us and then add whatever sauce.

When you first take the plunge and start weighing food - it is certainly an eye opener for some foods. I'm looking at you cheese, almonds, trail mix...........

I had a boss once who was fond of saying "If you can measure it, you can manage it." He was talking KPIs - but it fits for calorie counting and weight loss/gain.

depends on where you leave. ;)
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    mazdauk wrote: »
    My mother-in-law can't understand why she is overweight when "I just have a little bowl of rice and some turkey" and "I only have a light breakfast, just a croissant heated up quickly in the microwave" (like the speed makes a difference!!) yet "I'd love a scrambled egg but its too fatty" (shall we compare the fat content of one egg and a croissant?? No, better not!.
    Rice in particular, even simply boiled, is much higher in calories than pasta or potatoes of the same weight.

ETA A scale is also essential in maintenance, or that 30g portion of cereal is 45g before you know it, 100g pasta is 130g and so on.....

4 year maintainer here and I still use my food scale every.single.day. I'll be bringing it with me to the old folks home someday :D

Sad!
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    mazdauk wrote: »
    My mother-in-law can't understand why she is overweight when "I just have a little bowl of rice and some turkey" and "I only have a light breakfast, just a croissant heated up quickly in the microwave" (like the speed makes a difference!!) yet "I'd love a scrambled egg but its too fatty" (shall we compare the fat content of one egg and a croissant?? No, better not!.
    Rice in particular, even simply boiled, is much higher in calories than pasta or potatoes of the same weight.

ETA A scale is also essential in maintenance, or that 30g portion of cereal is 45g before you know it, 100g pasta is 130g and so on.....

4 year maintainer here and I still use my food scale every.single.day. I'll be bringing it with me to the old folks home someday :D

Sad!

Meh. I routinely go to bed at 9:30, even on the weekends. And I like it. Using a food scale doesn't even rank on the sadness scale of my life :laugh:

I would cry for you, but it would ruin my beer.
  • LadyLilion
    LadyLilion Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    I would cry for you, but it would ruin my beer.

Did you measure that beer with a liquid measuring cup, or weigh it? After all, the weight/volume on the bottle may be incorrect. >:)

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options

Not in Canada.
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »

Not in Canada.

yeah - apparently Canadians want more pasta per serving. (I'm in BC)

• Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    STLBADGIRL wrote: »
    I weigh things like, meats/rice/pasta/nuts/oils/potatoes/fruits...but NEVER bread, eggs or bacon.... I did today, and this is what I found..

Bread according to the package weighs 26g, but it actually weighed 32g
    Bacon according to the package weighs 15g, but it actually weighed 18g

I don't have the answer here, but some of the weight of bread could be water. If you allowed a slice to completely dry out, you could weigh it and use the calories in flour. I usually go by the package and I consistently lose weight. Although: I don't eat a lot of bread!

Bacon is a good thing to weigh. The cooked weight varies a lot! I think it adds a lot of flavor even in small quantities. If you want a really low calorie alternative, try Canadian bacon.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

Not in Canada.

Not in my kitchen either.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options

Not in Canada.

Not in my kitchen either.

Well mine either, lol.