Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Martial Arts and "chi"

Options
ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,594 Member
So I'm a big Star Wars fan and love the "idea" of the Force. Wouldn't it be great to have those powers?

But in martial arts, they've been promoting "chi" for centuries. When I trained as a kid, it was so believable because of the demonstrations they were showing us. And even today, you see demonstrations of it (no touch hit). But scientifically, there's not been any evidence of it.

So why my thread? My DD is enrolled in martial arts because I believe it's a good way to get some physical movement and learn the basics of how to punch and kick correctly (I'll coach her more on self defense techniques). But she told me that they went over "chi" in her class last night and I just smiled because I didn't want to burst her bubble on it. I WILL tell her the truth, last night just wasn't the time.

It's not a measurable thing. There's no evidence it exists. If you as a believer believes it exists, how do you actually prove it?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Replies

• fbchick51
    fbchick51 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    While not really a believer in "chi" per say, I am a believer in mind over matter (ie, the power of positive attitudes). My understanding of Chi is that it works along similar principles.

There have actually been Studies done on it and all seem to reach the same conclusion, positive thinking/positive attitudes can have a very real and direct effect on a persons overall health and life expectancy. If you dig deeper, there are a ton of studies on the brain and it's ability to effect the body (in both positive and negative ways). So in my head.. I tend to equate the idea of Chi or life force as a way of defining the (still largely mystical) power of our minds.

This article may explain it at a level your DD can understand
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/james-clear/positive-thinking_b_3512202.html
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I have been in martial arts since I was 7 and have seen masters perform feats that defy reason. I watched our sensei break off the end of a bo in mid-air by channeling his chi. Looking at this physically I can calculate the force required to produce this end, but I cannot fathom how a human could accomplish this. An engineer could attempt to reproduce a robot mimicking the human body to do this, but the staff would break at the mid point.

Speaking as someone in a scientific discipline chock me up as a believer. I cannot explain it as the science has not evolved to the point where it could prove or disprove.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    I have been in martial arts since I was 7 and have seen masters perform feats that defy reason. I watched our sensei break off the end of a bo in mid-air by channeling his chi. Looking at this physically I can calculate the force required to produce this end, but I cannot fathom how a human could accomplish this. An engineer could attempt to reproduce a robot mimicking the human body to do this, but the staff would break at the mid point.

Speaking as someone in a scientific discipline chock me up as a believer. I cannot explain it as the science has not evolved to the point where it could prove or disprove.
    Oh if you watch Chinese acrobats and stuntmen, watching them get hit by bo staffs full force and not flinch or leaning the tip of a spear with their neck is completely dumbfounding, but I don't believe it has anything to do with an energy force. Not exactly sure how this is attainable, but I'm sure it's practiced over and over again to attain it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoIcUUnpdec

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• CSARdiver
    Options
    @ninerbuff This is where I stand. I don't understand it and it defies my understanding of physics and physiology. I don't believe that this is a mystical energy force, so much as mastery of a physical discipline and tremendous physical conditioning. Very similar to how a professional pitcher can throw a 100+ mph fastball with accuracy.

It would be a fascinating research topic to have a physiologist and physicist conduct an analysis of this. I'll have to see if this hasn't been done before.
  • pdxhak
    pdxhak Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Chi is complete BS. Learning to accept/ignore or inflict more pain is not a special power. Acquired skill? Absolutely.

Earning stripes on belts is complete BS too. Well so are belts for that matter.
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    It's probably useful as a metaphor for mental focus, breath, and conditioning, but as some kind of mysterious force pervading our bodies it's all too obviously baloney. You see these effective-looking demonstrations, but strangely, these things only seem to work on the chi master's disciples; i.e., those who he has so conditioned to believe in it that they play along reflexively. Chi techniques tend not to work on anyone else.

What's really sad is when they start to believe their own press releases...
    https://youtu.be/gEDaCIDvj6I
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    ccsernica wrote: »
    It's probably useful as a metaphor for mental focus, breath, and conditioning, but as some kind of mysterious force pervading our bodies it's all too obviously baloney. You see these effective-looking demonstrations, but strangely, these things only seem to work on the chi master's disciples; i.e., those who he has so conditioned to believe in it that they play along reflexively. Chi techniques tend not to work on anyone else.

What's really sad is when they start to believe their own press releases...
    https://youtu.be/gEDaCIDvj6I

Well that's anticlimatic.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    Our energy, our thoughts and our actions area creative. We make our reality, a reality as we go. When it comes to how the mind works we are infants. Every living being on this planet has its own energy.. we can channel that energy into anything we want. Some things are not to be questioned or explained... some things just are.
  • missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    pdxhak wrote: »
    Chi is complete BS. Learning to accept/ignore or inflict more pain is not a special power. Acquired skill? Absolutely.

What martial arts do you practice? Obviously none, or not for very long if you think the stripe, rank or belt system is BS.

No doubt. I worked my a.s.s off for my black belt. It was not easy! I am very proud of my achievement.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

Well, I've been around a lot of jui jitsu dojos and it takes a lot of work to earn a belt promotion. And that promotion doesn't come from katas. You flat out have to prove against a black belt that you have mastered certain techniques before even being considered.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• CSARdiver
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

Well, I've been around a lot of jui jitsu dojos and it takes a lot of work to earn a belt promotion. And that promotion doesn't come from katas. You flat out have to prove against a black belt that you have mastered certain techniques before even being considered.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Our energy, our thoughts and our actions area creative. We make our reality, a reality as we go. When it comes to how the mind works we are infants. Every living being on this planet has its own energy.. we can channel that energy into anything we want. Some things are not to be questioned or explained... some things just are.

Depends on the discipline. I earned my first black belt in Shorin-Ryu, a very traditional Okinawan style. My sensei incorporated a very adaptive process though, so while our kata and training were traditional, we incorporated "what worked" and adopted techniques from a variety of other styles.

Years later I trained with a Brazilian jui-jitsu master who had no belt system and it worked within that dojo. The promotion system was flattened. There are pros and cons to any structured system.
  • pdxhak
    Options

What martial arts do you practice? Obviously none, or not for very long if you think the stripe, rank or belt system is BS.

Do you know the history of belts or stripes? And yes I started studying at a young age and stripes were never part of it. You did not need to earn 3 stripes before going to the next belt. Crap like that is driven by money. And belts were originally used to hold up your pants. Your white belt turned black over time.
  • pdxhak
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

My comment has nothing to due with the time it takes an individual to earn a black belt or the commitment involved. Stripes are about money. The longer it takes to earn a black belt the more money the dojo receives.
  • stevencloser
    Options
    If they just wanted to get your money they could just make you fail the promotion exam on a technicality.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

My comment has nothing to due with the time it takes an individual to earn a black belt or the commitment involved. Stripes are about money. The longer it takes to earn a black belt the more money the dojo receives.
    Only if the students don't drop out.

An unusual criticism, tbh. Normally I encounter claims that schools grant black belts too early in order to maintain student retention!

Stripes are about breaking down the years of work required into small, achievable targets, I think. Is the word "mini-goal"?

Working your kitten off for six months as a white belt before you can get a coloured belt? Scary. Working your kitten off for six months as a white belt and having tags added to your belt twice before finally getting a new belt? Achievable.
  • stevencloser
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Also do you plan on leaving your dojo as soon as you reach black belt?