Morning Runs - Will I Die?

Options
13»

Replies

• KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I start at 4 am in the dark, half a coffee and go for a run!, go go go!
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    I somehow manage to get myself up, eat breakfast, and get in my car before 6:30 AM to go meet other people for a long run; but I can't seem to get myself out the door before 9 AM 10 AM for a solo run.

I'm sure there are many advantages to morning running, such as cooler weather in the summer; less traffic; what traffic there is being more predictable; and guaranteeing that the run actually happens instead of being canceled after a stress-filled day. But I've found there is no time saving to running in the morning versus evening for me; the time management is like squeezing a balloon, make more time here and I lose more time somewhere else.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    I think consistency is key if you are going to keep doing it, especially if you are not really a morning person. Don't let yourself snooze or skip mornings - I swear it made getting up the next morning worse!

Set out your running clothes the night before. I've also been known to sleep in mine :smile:

I don't eat prior, just a few sips of coffee.

You sleep in your run stuff?

Ok.......

I sleep in my workout shirt a lot of nights. I don't think it's that unusual.

Then get up and wear it to work out?

Sure why not? When I would get up at 5am I'd roll out of bed, brush my teeth, put my contacts in, and jump on the treadmill. When it's chilly in the morning not having to change was a big plus.

I just couldn't be in dirty clothes, you've had them on in bed like 8 hours.

Saying that I run outside. I certainly wouldn't go out in sweaty bed clothes. Each to their own I guess.

I don't get people shopping in pjs either.

Depending on the weather they will be sweatier in 3-5 minutes.
  • TheChaoticBuffalo
    TheChaoticBuffalo Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    xLyric wrote: »
    Obviously I'm not going to die, but does anyone have tips/whatever for running at the crack of dawn? Do you eat before or after? Are you dead at work afterwards or do you find it wakes you up more? Are you hungrier at work? Any other advice is welcome as well.

There's a large group of people who run several miles before breakfast most mornings and then put in a full day's work with no adverse effects. They're called Marines. B)
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Obviously I'm not going to die, but does anyone have tips/whatever for running at the crack of dawn? Do you eat before or after? Are you dead at work afterwards or do you find it wakes you up more? Are you hungrier at work? Any other advice is welcome as well.

4/5 week days I'm up at 0400-0430 to run anywhere from 3 to 9 miles. I just wake up, get dressed and go, no coffee, no food. I'm actually more tired on the days I days I don't run. Once you get in the routine, it's no problem at all.
  • fitin50s2
    fitin50s2 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Almost all of my runs occur as the sun is coming up. Be sure to wear reflective gear!!!
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    Running in the morning is the best. Embrace it. If it's indeed still dark, visibility vest and, even a headlamp/taillight isn't a bad idea.

ns2017_ns2027-0119-xx_streak_hi-vizyellow_whtbg_front.png

lampara_frontal_princeton_tec_remix_pro_verde_2161-1.jpg

54609_red.jpg

And a camera to catch the occasional spectacular sunrise. . .
    1799181_10203533587076424_7285955314582075373_o.jpg?oh=48cdbc9c56d175d10cc2eeeb573beb21&oe=5991AD9E

• jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Morgaen73 wrote: »
    You may actually die. I try to avoid running ... it makes the cops suspicious ...

Depending on where you live and how early you are running this is a real possibility. I use to walk to work at 3 AM and had this problem and I wasn't even running!

In my opinion if you aren't a morning person now, you never will be. Is there a reason you can't run in the evening? I'm from Vegas so I totally get it if it's 90 at 8 PM and currently live up north so get it that it might still be sunny at 10 PM. Unless I'm being well paid I stick to the belief that leaving the house before noon will result in my death.
  • brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    OP - I'm not a fan of being out the door early in the morning, but I realized I can't make excuses if I wake up and go vs. wait all day and run after work. I faked it until I made it. I set my automatic coffee maker to start at 6am, drink a cup - then go. Now I live by my morning workouts, and get super cranky if I can't.. haha. It's satisfying being finished with your workout before you get to work. I always workout fasted, but no real reason why... I'm not usually hungry at 6am.

I love running after work sometimes too if the weather is going to be nicer than the morning. But, I genuinely enjoy running, so it's a little harder for me to want to skip it :smile:
  • NewyRob
    NewyRob Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I've done both but now consistently get up at 5am for a run. It really is so much better (granted the climate here is friendly). Morning's are quiet, traffic is is minimal and you share the space with others who appreciate it. Bad behaviour is not much of an issue in the morning. Depending on your location, evening runs bring you into contact with drunks and people rushing to get home.

Early starts mean I come home for plenty of time to stretch and eat, and it sets me up for a great day at work.

The real challenge is that one needs to go to bed early since sleep deprivation compromises health goals.
  • xLyric
    xLyric Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    dlptcb wrote: »

There's a large group of people who run several miles before breakfast most mornings and then put in a full day's work with no adverse effects. They're called Marines. B)

Believe me, I'm well aware I'm not Marine material, haha.
    Morgaen73 wrote: »
    You may actually die. I try to avoid running ... it makes the cops suspicious ...

Depending on where you live and how early you are running this is a real possibility. I use to walk to work at 3 AM and had this problem and I wasn't even running!

In my opinion if you aren't a morning person now, you never will be. Is there a reason you can't run in the evening? I'm from Vegas so I totally get it if it's 90 at 8 PM and currently live up north so get it that it might still be sunny at 10 PM. Unless I'm being well paid I stick to the belief that leaving the house before noon will result in my death.

It will definitely still be very warm in the evenings where I live, which is a factor, but more than that I think it's mental. No, I don't like getting up early, and I might not do it in the mornings on weekends, but on weekdays there's a mental divide: before 5 is work, after 5 is relax. Exercise is definitely on the work side, and right now I'd rather wake up early than take time out of my de-stress time. I know running relaxes a lot of people, but I'm not there yet.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,948 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Running at night is also an option. I prefer it to running in the morning. It's just important that I tell someone what route I'm taking and when I should be back. Plus having my phone. But those dangers still exist in the morning, so it's always important to do that. I find I yawn too much in the morning and it makes it too hard to breathe when running. Hence I like night running better. And I mean at like 9:00 pm. That way you can still have do things in the evening.

Just try out different times and find what feels best for you and what fits in your life best.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    dpwellman wrote: »
    Running in the morning is the best.
    And a camera to catch the occasional spectacular sunrise. . .

Oh, I don't know... I think a case can be made for evening runs as well
    7jgsmrfjb817.jpg

• KrystalAmbro
    KrystalAmbro Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am a morning runner (35-50 miles a week). I only have a cup of coffee before I go out as I can't stand running with food in me.
    I have my running clothes ready on my dresser so it's easy to wake up and change to get my mindset going. I find working out before my day starts gives me more energy and I don't have to worry about sneaking a run in later in the day incase other conflicts come up