How did you decide your goal weight?

Options
Libby283
Libby283 Posts: 288 Member
edited April 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
I am seeing others my same height posting goal weights vastly different than my goal. Some are close to what I weigh now, which I say is my "fat size".

Is it a certain size you were before? A goal to just get to a certain pant or dress size you think sounds good?

How do you decide what weight you want to become?

My current stats

5'3", 38 year of F.

SW 158
CW 152.6
GW 124

I want to get back to the same size I was 2 years ago and wear my favorite size 2 Levi's.

Replies

• Libby283
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    A lot depends on personal history. Some users have never been at their goal weight and really don't know what to expect. Some just choose a weight based on healthy bmi range for their height. Some set 'mini-goals' to break their journey up into manageable chunks. Body frame and desired muscle mass also factor in.

I have an interim goal weight that is at the top of my healthy range. This is what I weighed when I got married more than a few years ago, and I know I'm pretty comfortable there. Then I have an ultimate goal weight. This is what I weighed in high school, and I know it will take some work to get there but is perfectly realistically attainable.

I would love to go to my high school weight, but last time I lost weight I got to 124 and people said I looked really small. 98 lbs (day I graduated, 18 years old) would have them loosing their minds.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I just go by what I see in the mirror. End of 2015 I was at goal weight, then life happened and I gained some weight back so I am now aiming for roughly the weight I was then, but I think I have gained a little muscle so am going more by how I look than by the number.
  • Libby283
    Options
    I just go by what I see in the mirror. End of 2015 I was at goal weight, then life happened and I gained some weight back so I am now aiming for roughly the weight I was then, but I think I have gained a little muscle so am going more by how I look than by the number.

This happened to me also.

I hate the look of muscles. I just think it looks gross. I like the very thin model look.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Libby283 wrote: »
    A lot depends on personal history. Some users have never been at their goal weight and really don't know what to expect. Some just choose a weight based on healthy bmi range for their height. Some set 'mini-goals' to break their journey up into manageable chunks. Body frame and desired muscle mass also factor in.

I have an interim goal weight that is at the top of my healthy range. This is what I weighed when I got married more than a few years ago, and I know I'm pretty comfortable there. Then I have an ultimate goal weight. This is what I weighed in high school, and I know it will take some work to get there but is perfectly realistically attainable.

I would love to go to my high school weight, but last time I lost weight I got to 124 and people said I looked really small. 98 lbs (day I graduated, 18 years old) would have them loosing their minds.

I'm 5'4 and was 130 to 135 in high school. Never in my (post adolescent) life have I been as small as you were in HS :smile: I developed early and had child bearing hips before I had children, lol.

Like I said, it will vary greatly from person to person. High school weight isn't attainable for everyone, nor should it be.
  • Libby283
    edited April 2017
    Options

I'm 5'4 and was 130 to 135 in high school. Never in my (post adolescent) life have I been as small as you were in HS :smile: I developed early and had child bearing hips before I had children, lol.

Like I said, it will vary greatly from person to person. High school weight isn't attainable for everyone, nor should it be.

Oh I have child bearing hips and my bra size at 124 lbs is a 32D. It was still a C cup when I was in high school. But the rest of me was tiny. I had no fat on my body. Skin and bones.
  • Butts_Boys_and_Burgers_ohmy
    Options
    I don't have a certain goal weight, per se, I just want to look healthy and feel good. I think I'll know it when I get there :smiley:
  • BrookeRunningMom
    BrookeRunningMom Posts: 156 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I was 156lbs 5 3 and goal was 120 and when I hit it I was still unhappy and now im 115 an goal is now 110 and to tighten up loose skin. Do what makes you happy :blush:

I also made small goals along the way of my weight loss journey so I wouldnt get overwhelmed and quit. So 1 lb at a time and take it day by day only took me less then 6 months and never set foot in a gym. Just jogging and eating at a deficit if 1400-1500 cals a day. And jogging
  • Jadedinosaur
    Jadedinosaur Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    ~ 8 1/2 stone, that was a weight I was happy at after being underweight and trying to gain for a while, then I rocketed right past it up to a BMI of 31ish (over some years mind)! Goal weight is just under a BMI of 22 which is right in the middle of "normal", when I was slim I didn't have much in the way of curves, but I think I'm stronger this time so I may find that I am happy at 9 stone or maybe a little more.

(1 stone = 14lbs)
  • bigmuneymfp
    bigmuneymfp Posts: 2,235 Member
    Options
    Bmi of pro athletes
  • Libby283
    Options
    I'm 5'4 and my weight used to stay around 165 lbs for most of my adult life. At one point I lost weight and was around 153 but I went back up to 165. I always had a "goal weight" of 120 but back then 45 lbs to lose seemed like a massive amount to lose. I also had no idea what I'd look or feel like at that weight so it seemed very distant and unattainable.

Fast forward like 4 years... A medication I was on helped me balloon up to 195 lbs. I felt miserable. Now my 120 lb goal seemed REALLY out of reach for me. It made it hard to even try.
    So recently I reevaluated things. I felt pretty good when I got down to 153 so I looked up my healthy weight rage and picked 140 which was on the higher end. That feels attainable to me. It feels like a weight that I can get to. I'm now at 176 and it's exciting (instead of daunting) that I "only" have 34 lbs to go.

I have 33 lbs to go. We can do this. One pound at a time. I break it into tiny chunks. Like now I am just trying to get into the 140's, than I will be excited to get to 145, than to the 130's...and so on. Mini Milestones along the way to goal weight.
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I just lost until I looked/felt right. I'm 5'2.5". Started with a gw of 140 and kept going down by 5lbs after that. Would like to stay under 125lbs in the morning.

My story.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    I knew my start weight & bodyfat percentage. I knew I wanted to be under 10% bodyfat so calculated approximately where I needed to get to.

Don't forget that everyone is fatter than they initially think and it is more than likely that you will not look how you want at your goal weight. I would advise using the scale to check you are making progress but focus on how you look in the mirror/photos.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    How do you decide what weight you want to become?

I'm 5'3. My original goal was 120 (with 125 okay in my mind), because that's what I was for years and allows me to fit back in some clothes and just is a size I know I feel good at.

At some point I did a BF%/best running weight analysis and decided that I'd aim for 118, which should be around 20% BF or just a little more, and then try to build some muscle. Under that theory I don't really care what the final scale weight would be.

I'm not actually doing anything to lose right now, though, because I do fit back into my old clothes at 125 and don't mind it; I go back and forth between wanting to recomp and wanting to actually just see how I would like being 118.