How did you decide your goal weight?

Options

Replies

• gcminton
    gcminton Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    My long term goal is 140lbs, based on what doctors have told me is my "ideal weight", which I think is just the middle of the normal BMI range for my height. Since I've been overweight/obese/morbidly obese most of my life I really have no idea what to expect once I get closer to that goal.

In the meantime I set smaller goals (I reached one today!) and will play it by ear as things go. Maybe I'll have enough muscle mass that I end up satisfied at a heavier weight than 140, maybe I'll get there and make a different goal. Who knows?
  • ashesnposies333
    ashesnposies333 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1 with an hourglass figure, I weigh 164 right now, started at 191 a year and a half ago. I have been focusing on how my clothes fit and how I feel rather than the scale, but even still would like to see at least 20 lbs lost on the scale. The last time I saw 145 was over a decade ago. I
    I dropped 20 lbs in the first four months with clean eating and exercise of some sort every day (including yoga on rest days) and then slowed to nothing for about a year because I wasn't doing anything except riding my bike back and forth to school five days a week, 4 miles a day, and almost never weighing in haha
    This year I decided it was time to stop maintaining and go for it again. I've lost 8lbs, of course nothing with weight loss is linear, but I think I can do it this year, by my birthday at the end of July even if I keep it up with exercise and calories.
    I'd say ultimate goal though is to see what id look like toned, I've always been round, carry my weight evenly, I just really want to not have this spare tire anymore
  • Wolfger
    Wolfger Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    6' (roughly) with a goal weight of 225. I chose 225 because that was my resting weight once upon a time (in college). Now my resting weight is more like 290, which is unacceptable. Once I hit 225 I might decide to keep going, but I felt that was a good starting point that would be both challenging and satisfying to achieve.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    My goal was what my doctor set for me. Also confirmed it with online charts of ideal weight for my height.
  • psychedmom
    psychedmom Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    My goal weight is roughly what I weighed in my profile pic, nearly 15 years ago. I felt sexy back then at tender age of 21. Current weight 209, goal 140. I plan on focusing on being stronger so final weight may be different. I still have those pants stored away somewhere! Likely no longer in style, but it would be cool if I got them to fit!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I picked a weight that sounded good, as I'd spent my entire adult life above 200 pounds. Found out it was still about 6 pounds overweight (5'6", 160), lowered my goal to 145. Then lowered that by another 10, and 135 is the lowest I'll go.
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    5'3", SW 208
    Original goal weight 140, top of BMI range. Just got under that but I'm still squishy. Now aiming for 125. I'll reevaluate when I get there.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    I started at a very high weight. 270 lbs. I was more than a little overwhelmed by the sheer amount I needed to lose, so I told myself as long as it went down, even slowly, I was ok. I set an initial goal of 180, which was lower than my lowest weight in graduate school. It was higher than my lowest adult weight, but I'd struggled with disordered eating in my late teens.

by the time I got to 190, I knew I could hit 175. By the time I got there I knew 170 was reasonable..

Now I'm 157. I think maybe I'll stop at 155. I think I look and feel pretty awesome now.

p.s. I'm fairly tall.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    Google and use the range medical experts suggest. There are a few calculators out there.
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I want to be a healthy BMI and will reassess whether to continue losing when I get there.

I arbitrarily picked a number that gives me a nice even weight loss goal number but is still realistic on a larger bone structure. I would love to settle myself at around a 23 for BMI and stay there.
  • dextromethorphan_addict
    Options
    I'm 5' tall and my goal weight is 80 lbs. I know I'll be slightly underweight according to BMI charts, but I don't think they're super perfectly accurate especially for shorties like myself. I picked my goal weight because I know that being a little bit "underweight" I feel best physically and feel best about how I look. My entire childhood I was truly underweight and it was when I was forced to gain a lot of weight around when I was 10 years old that I didn't feel good and I was horribly self conscious and didn't like my body. All the food therapies and treatments I went through also caused me childhood trauma I'm working through in my therapy now.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and 35 years old. My original goal was 120 lbs (at the time I was around 170), because that was my average high school weight. But being impatient and feeling like that wasn't feasible led to frustration, constantly falling off the wagon, and gaining more weight until I got to 211. I just recently thought about my goal, and how freakin HARD I worked in high school to maintain that weight, and how unhealthy and obsessive I was about it. I don't want that! So for now I'm sticking with mini-goals, with each mini goal bringing me to the next "decade" of numbers. So when I hit 199, my goal was to get into the 180s, and so on. My first "long-term" goal will be 150 lbs- at that point I might start thinking about my ultimate goal.
  • KiwiAlexP
    KiwiAlexP Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and started at 100kg so choosing 60kg as a goal put me at the upper range of a healthy BMI. Now aiming for 59kg (130lbs) so I'm in the 50's and then will decide if I want to go further. I'm currently just aiming at getting to "overweight" - 75kg and under
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I still don't know what my goal weight is. I know the only time in my history that I didn't feel "fat," I was under 110 pounds, but at my age I'm afraid if I get there my entire face will look like a melted candle, and probably the rest of me as well.

So...I don't know. 120s max?
  • cheriej2042
    cheriej2042 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Originally I picked my goal weight based on being in the middle of a healthy BMi. Now I like to pick a 5 pound range within that bmi area because I've found it's hard for me to keep my weight too low. It's funny I was looking at some old picture albums and every time I saw a picture of myself thin I remember how much I struggled to stay that small. I'm 5'4" and I would like to be 125.
  • nicolepburgess91
    nicolepburgess91 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I set short goals.for example my first goal was
    Sw: 206
    Gw:190
    When I accomplished that, I went to
    SW: 190
    GW: 185
    And right now I'm at
    SW: 185
    GW: 170
    CW: 182

This works for the need of gratification. Do I have a complete end goal? No. When one day I look at myself in the mirror and am comfortable, confident and healthy - I'll go into maintenance mode.
  • MrsSeager
    MrsSeager Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I determined my goal weight by looking up a healthy BMI for my height. Ideally I'd like to be around 135, it's going to take time, determination, and discipline!
  • JAStars102
    JAStars102 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have been overweight since I was a child, since I was a picky eater and hated sports. My mom gained a lot of weight when she had kids while my dad became an aerobics instructor and left her for one of his students. Both of them would try to encourage me to become healthier (never in a way that messed with my head, they were just looking out for me), but it never worked. It wasn't until I wanted to lose weight, for myself, that I started working at it.

Height: 5'3"
    SW: 208
    CW: 156
    GW: ~130

I want to not be overweight anymore, become healthier, but mostly want to look good in a bikini for the first time ever. Working to lose weight has been empowering for me (though changing sizes every few months has been annoying) and I enjoy the feeling of shedding every pound.
  • NoAnalHere
    NoAnalHere Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    My long term goal weight is 140 pounds and I'm 5'6. I set that goal because of bmi and once I get to 140 I'll have a 10 pound cushion of staying within that weight. I don't ever remember being 140 and I have no clue what my pants size would be but my goal of 140 is by time I get there I'm hoping to have found a routine I like and keep it for daily fitness. Right now I'm flirting with running, weight lifting, and yoga. So limber, strong and faster?
  • hjsparker
    hjsparker Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I did lots of research on the internet about ideal body weight. That, combined with a BIA analysis I had done with a qualified experienced nutritionist helped me arrive at my goal.

Height: 5'5"
    SW: 171
    GW: 130-132
    CW: 143.3

What was stressed to me by the nutritionist was less about the numbers on the scale and more about body composition. How much fat compared to lean muscle I carry. Reducing fat while increasing muscle will give me the toned athletic shape I desire.