Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I'm sorry- gardening isn't cardio.

Depends on what you're doing :tongue:

Try planting (or removing) large bushes (or established trees) in black clay soil - especially if you don't weigh much and have to jump around like a fool on the shovel in order to get it to sink in more than an inch at a time. It's interval cardio and resistance training all in one.

having dug fenceposts on a ranch- I'm pretty sure I'm an expert "hole digger" and I still wouldn't call it cardio.

I mean- it's unquestionable hard work- don't get me wrong- but I'm not sure I would call it cardio. it could be- but it's a push.

not saying it's not hard work or valid- but I think labelling it as cardio is a leeeetle bit of a stretch.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    This ain't watching TV this is punishment.

Watching TV is punishment!

You're doing way too much man. You need to re-learn how to sit your *kitten* down on the couch and do nothing for hours at a time! And enjoy it!

There's a lot of truth to this. :smile:
  • Ruatine
    Ruatine Posts: 3,424 Member
    Options
    I hate all gym-based cardio. Can I do it? Sure, did it for quite a while before deciding that it wasn't worth feeling like I was dying a little bit inside every time I did it. I'm another that cannot watch TV/movies while doing cardio on a machine - I can't pay attention to the TV, and both activities become even less enjoyable when put together.

I also hate running, be it indoors or outdoors. I do enjoy things like tennis, kayaking, hiking, walking my dogs, biking, mowing my yard... I find those things enjoyable and doing them raises my heartrate into the cardio range. Why should I force myself to do things I don't enjoy when I can do other things I do enjoy that provide the same benefit?

To each their own. Isn't it wonderful that we have so many fitness options?
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

Try planting (or removing) large bushes (or established trees) in black clay soil - especially if you don't weigh much and have to jump around like a fool on the shovel in order to get it to sink in more than an inch at a time. It's interval cardio and resistance training all in one.

having dug fenceposts on a ranch- I'm pretty sure I'm an expert "hole digger" and I still wouldn't call it cardio.

I mean- it's unquestionable hard work- don't get me wrong- but I'm not sure I would call it cardio. it could be- but it's a push.

not saying it's not hard work or valid- but I think labelling it as cardio is a leeeetle bit of a stretch.

Digging in heavy, sticky clay pops my heart rate up well up into a range suitable for cardiovascular exercise. Last time removing anything significant was necessary digging the root system out required 10-15 min per 12' bush. I removed 5 of them. Seems like that hits all the requirements for decent interval cardio exercise.

Besides, the NIH National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute lists digging (and hoeing) as examples of aerobic exercises - so long as your heart rate is increased sufficiently. So I'm pretty sure I'm on safe ground.
  • Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    all cardio is tedious to the paint of being physically painful.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Different strokes for different folks. I love running & cycling etc but it's not everyone's cup of tea.

Saying that others are full of crap because they don't agree with your opinion is judgemental and stupid.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options

Digging in heavy, sticky clay pops my heart rate up well up into a range suitable for cardiovascular exercise. Last time removing anything significant was necessary digging the root system out required 10-15 min per 12' bush. I removed 5 of them. Seems like that hits all the requirements for decent interval cardio exercise.

Besides, the NIH National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute lists digging (and hoeing) as examples of aerobic exercises - so long as your heart rate is increased sufficiently. So I'm pretty sure I'm on safe ground.

Digging, raking, mowing with a push mower, moving big rocks...maybe not so much cardio as @JoRocka thinks it should be, but doing it for 8 hours makes me feel as though I've run a few miles and gotten in a weight workout.
  • AmandaDanceMore
    AmandaDanceMore Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Ugh. Any type of exercise that requires me to be stationary, even while watching something or reading, is pointless and torture. I MUCH rather be going somewhere or accomplishing something. Give me a good hike, a nice bike ride out in the country, or let me nail my tango with my dance partner. Treadmills and stationary bikes ARE boring. And, to an extent, painful. Setting my bike up on the trainer and riding can be a miserable experience because pedaling on a trainer isn't nearly as dynamic as pedaling over changing terrain. It's torture to me. But I hate gyms in general.

On top of that, I do not own a treadmill, and while I can stick my bike on a trainer, it take up an obscene amount of room in my small house, blocking a door and my pets don't love the sound. So, to use a treadmill I have to drive to a gym, and pay to use the gym. So, I'm basically paying to be bored, grumpy, and tortured. I much rather walk out the door with the dogs, and go for a long my walk.

YMMV.