People who say cardio is "too boring" are full of crap

Options

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Cardio just means cardiovascular exercise. Sex can be cardio if you do it right. Kayaking, definitely. Treadmills are the most boring kind of cardio but not the only. Competitive Nordic skiers are the fittest people on earth (highest VO2max) because skiing is great cardio.
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    What's truly boring is going to the gym to lift a barbell and put it down. I detest the idea and scoff at those who insist you should do it, as if it's the only way to get strong and build muscle.

Same with treadmills. Different strokes for different folks. There are many ways to skin a cat.
  • grace008
    grace008 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You need to a body attack class which is a great cardio workout not boring at all just great fun as for running and cycling much more fun when done out doors
  • kristikitter
    kristikitter Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I'm having a giggle over the idea of me watching one of my favourite tv shows (something serious like Broadchurch) whilst pounding on a treadmill, panting and thundering along whilst they discuss child murder.

Cardio is fun... for me... because I like dancing and so forth. Jogging is boring.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    lolakraven wrote: »
    Cardio is boring. I also don't sit on the couch for hours watching TV/movies (except football season. All bets are off during football season).

Everyone has different things they find "fun," OP. Your way isn't the only right way.

...wait, how are you able to sit down during football season? Everyone in my family who is into football watches standing up and/or jumping around in celebration or frustration
    Great calorie burner :smile:

I concede to your point. Maybe I'm not sitting that much then, either. :p
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Hysterically I spend literally hours in front of my TV.
    Beading.
    Hand beading.

And almost every single person I know cannot and will not take on such a project. it's too time consuming and too "boring". But honestly I love it. I really love it- I love making my own costumes- and part of that is the incredibly tedious and monotonous aspect of beading. Whatever.

Literally different strokes for different folks. It's like when people tell me I should be banned from NJ because I don't like Bruce Springsteen.
    Fine- whatever. Enjoy your mediocre music. I'll take five finger death punch any day.

it's what makes the world go around.
  • LauraInTheWater
    LauraInTheWater Posts: 477 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Strength training to me is boring. I love cardio. And I don't do it at the gym...because people are right, there isn't anything to look at. But I do some strength training and yuk. But if you like it then good for you, I guess.

Side note: I thought MFP was supposed to be a a loving, supportive place...I feel like we should just be encouraging others to work out, regardless of their preferences.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Beading.
    Hand beading.

And almost every single person I know cannot and will not take on such a project. it's too time consuming and too "boring". But honestly I love it. I really love it- I love making my own costumes- and part of that is the incredibly tedious and monotonous aspect of beading. Whatever.

Literally different strokes for different folks. It's like when people tell me I should be banned from NJ because I don't like Bruce Springsteen.
    Fine- whatever. Enjoy your mediocre music. I'll take five finger death punch any day.

I'm glad you chimed in. What Would Jo Say. Yay!
  • PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    This is a subjective topic. What one person enjoys, another can't stand. And there are so many different forms of cardio - it would be hard to say that every single person finds every single method of cardio boring.
  • BedsideTableKangaroo
    BedsideTableKangaroo Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Beading.
    Hand beading.

sounds like a nice form of meditation.
  • glassofroses
    glassofroses Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I'm not entirely sure what this post is getting at. Shaming people into doing more gym based cardio? Even though it's boring. Why not encourage people to find a type of cardio they enjoy? If the treadmill was the only option for cardio I'd never do it either and I'd probably still be fat. Instead, I thought outside of the box and joined a kickboxing gym. Cardio + punching and kicking people = winner.

Get off your high horse before you fall off, yeah?
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    Unless it's -40 out you won't catch me dead on a treadmill. It is SO BORING. If I'm in a gym it's solely to use equipment I don't have at home. I don't have room or cash for a squat rack and bench so I get in and out and my cardio is walking outdoors. Cba to do more
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    [soapbox] It drives me nuts when people claim they don't do cardio because it's just too boring. If sitting on a couch watching TV/movies isn't too boring for you then how can running on a treadmill/riding a stationary bike/etc. while watching the exact same TV/movies be too boring?

You aren't doing cardio because it's too hard or you don't enjoy sweating or whatever, not because it's too boring. If you don't want to do cardio then don't, just be honest with yourself. [/soapbox]

Um I don't enjoy cardio. I don't like to stand in the same place while staring at randoms walking around and lifting. It's a very boring form of exercise for me. I however love doing heavy *kitten* weights. Lifting to the point where my legs are going to give out of where I have so much lactic acid build up that I can barely stand the burn. The whole time pouring sweat and being out of breathe. So how exactly isn't that considered to be "hard"? Ever have your core give out when you're going for a max effort lift and dropping to the ground only to be saved by the spotter bars? That whole moment every motor unit in your body is firing doing everything it can to keep that weight moving up. Now THAT IS HARD

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger.
  • chiltonenator
    chiltonenator Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Why do you care what other people like or don't like? If you love the treadmill, then go for it! It's definitely not my thing, but that doesn't mean it's wrong for everybody else!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

Stand a little taller...
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    If someone finds 'cardio' too boring for them then they're not doing the right cardio for them.

I really like doing 5k/10k/half marathon events. I love the energy, the people-watching, the atmosphere. I'd do them 4-5x a week if I could. But for many reasons I cannot. So I need to do other things so that I can accomplish what I want (being able to run the entire event) when I do those events. Running outside is not always possible due to weather, logistics, etc. so I'm often on my treadmill in the evenings. I can't just walk/run on the treadmill. That is boring. As in there is nothing to entertain my mind. So I read (Kindle for running, real book for walking) or listen to music.

Walking/running outside is more entertaining, especially if I have someone with me...
    [soapbox] It drives me nuts when people claim they don't do cardio because it's just too boring. If sitting on a couch watching TV/movies isn't too boring for you then how can running on a treadmill/riding a stationary bike/etc. while watching the exact same TV/movies be too boring?

You aren't doing cardio because it's too hard or you don't enjoy sweating or whatever, not because it's too boring. If you don't want to do cardio then don't, just be honest with yourself. [/soapbox]

• brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Curious if OP is going to come back or not. Thread backfire?