People who say cardio is "too boring" are full of crap

Options

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I'm not trying to bash someone who doesn't like cardio. Please explain how doing X while sitting on the couch can be less boring than doing X while running?

preferences?

perhaps people find mentally stimulating activities such as watching TV more desirable?

How is watching TV from a couch more "mentally stimulating" than watching the same show while doing something else?

Well - there's fluffy (mindless crap) and then there's stuff you actually need to pay attention to. I could use a "dreadmill" on mindless crap, but other shows would be ruined. Long distance runners sometimes like the solitude.

Again - it's preferences, we're all different.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    sardelsa wrote: »
    If someone finds something boring, who am I to tell them otherwise. Not sure why you are letting other people drive you nuts as you say, in the end we are all different. You do you :)

It started driving me crazy when people would ask me what exercise I do... I tell them and they say "I can't do that, it would be too boring... I spent 8 hours sitting on the couch binge watching a show on Netflix". Then I noticed a lot of people on this board using the same excuse of it being boring.

But it's not an excuse. You simply don't understand because it's not how your brain functions. I don't understand how people dislike lifting, but I know it happens and I don't tell them that they are full of crap.

This is what I was thinking. My husband thinks lifting is boring. I don't. Somehow, we manage to coexist.
  • mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    I can't watch TV while doing any indoor cardio.. makes my head hurt.

Anywho who really cares? Not real sure how this should affect someone so seriously.

"Affect someone so seriously"? I spent a couple of minutes typing on the computer. I'm not suicidal. Seriously, read some of the threads on here, you don't have to be seriously affected to start a friggen thread.

you're furiously replying to everyone who disagrees with you

Sorry if I'm coming off as furious, just trying to get my point across.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Too many people assume "cardio" is hanging out on a treadmill for however long. That can be boring. Be in the outdoors doing cardio activities is not boring at all in my opinion.

Yes, I've never been bored while hiking in the mountains. Not ever. Put me on my dreadmill....ugh.
  • Dazzler21
    Dazzler21 Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Disagree.

I HATE cardio. It is BORING. I speak of regular cardio such as treadmill running/jogging, elliptical, bike.

Have you tried all cardio? Kayaking, cycling, real running not on the lie that is a treadmill!
  • SpotLighttt
    SpotLighttt Posts: 174 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I'm not trying to bash someone who doesn't like cardio. Please explain how doing X while sitting on the couch can be less boring than doing X while running?

preferences?

perhaps people find mentally stimulating activities such as watching TV more desirable?

How is watching TV from a couch more "mentally stimulating" than watching the same show while doing something else?

i can't concentrate on TV whilst bouncing around on a treadmill
  • SpotLighttt
    SpotLighttt Posts: 174 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    dazzler21 wrote: »
    Disagree.

I HATE cardio. It is BORING. I speak of regular cardio such as treadmill running/jogging, elliptical, bike.

Have you tried all cardio? Kayaking, cycling, real running not on the lie that is a treadmill!

nope not all, that's why I mentioned "regular" in other words gym type cardio.

I did enjoy running outside btw - its just so much more refreshing.

I enjoy outdoor cycling and whilst that is considered cardio in very technical terms - my brain categorises it much differently. More so like a fun activity as opposed to "exercise"
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    So boring. Oh my god. I just can't even. It's so much more exciting to pick metal up and then put it down again.

33309256284_e51955e4d8_o_d.jpg

33267142152_060138318f_o_d.jpg

27080411036_54404fd0b3_o_d.jpg

31453343662_3cafb34537_o_d.jpg

Your toes sticking out of that cold water makes me shiver. I never got into dunking in an ice cold mountain lake in spite of all the opportunities. That finger hold is nice as well!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    My stationary bike isn't in the same room as a TV and I'd get motion sickness even trying. It's boring as **** but at least it's an option in the winter.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    [soapbox] It drives me nuts when people claim they don't do cardio because it's just too boring. If sitting on a couch watching TV/movies isn't too boring for you then how can running on a treadmill/riding a stationary bike/etc. while watching the exact same TV/movies be too boring?

You aren't doing cardio because it's too hard or you don't enjoy sweating or whatever, not because it's too boring. If you don't want to do cardio then don't, just be honest with yourself. [/soapbox]
    I've heard of many distance runners and other athletes who find treadmill/stationary cardio to be boring.
    I'm guessing it's not because they're afraid to sweat or find it too hard... they just don't enjoy being stationary.

I can't even stand 5 minutes on the hampster wheel to warm-up before weight lifting. I can't imagine trying to get my cardio in on gym machines. blech.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Aren't we all full of crap? I'm sure even the queen of England poos.

Car-URGH-dio is not fun.